Fxpansion.com Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQ UsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
When will there be an update to version 2?
Post When will there be an update to version 2? 
It's been 2 years now since the last revision of the adapter so I put it to Fxspansion straight out: When will there be a revised update that will incorporate things like support for VST 2.3 and above? All new VST hosts will be supporting VST3 which has backward compatibility with 2.4 but not below. So developers(YellowTools and Ericsound are just two that come to mind right off) are now pretty much forced into using 2.4 or 3 for the VST platform. With FXpansion so far not supporting these it means that we will all have to start doing seperate platforms natively, which will take longer to get plugs going. This means that while VST developers are writing code for 2.4 and 3...those of us using the wrapper are behind the curve in being able to use these new plugs with Pro Tools. Seriously, I think it's about time that the adapter moves forward with not only this issue but others as well....but I'm just concentrating on this one.
Angus.......???????

We don't see any host developers besides Steinberg supporting VST3. VST-RTAS' future development has more to do with the evolution of Pro Tools itself than playing catchup with VST's latest brainfarts.

VST3 doesn't have any backwards compatibility with 2.4, it's a total break in compatibility. 2.4 is partly backwards compatible with 2.3, but they changed some stuff in the window handling on the Mac side in a way that's incompatible with Pro Tools' window handling (without advance warning or consulting any other devs, I might add) which is why we don't support it.

We have some compatibility guidelines that we make available to VST devs, it's fairly straightforward and only takes most devs a day or two to get things up and running if it doesn't work from the get-go.

Hope this helps,
Angus.

This was exactly the answer I expected. Laughing I'm used to this now and it's why I hardly bother posting here anymore though I continue to use the adapter problems or no, and I guess it's because I care about the adapter and about fxspansion because you guys made this thing. Steinberg came up with the VSTs in the first place...is there a reason to think they're not moving forward with new implementation? Brainfarts? Are you referring to YT Indy? You know for a brainfart I'd really love to be able to use that instrument! Rolling Eyes I undersatnd the backward compatability issues with VST3...but surely there's a way around this. Just what future Pro Tools development needs to happen before there's an update can you explain that one because I don't know and would like to?!
And you know you still didn't answer the question which was when we can expect one? I hate to be a nudge here Angus but I've looked at the boards here and the posts are there about all this....

In another post I stressed on the same issue, ( When there will be a newer update for VST to RTAS ),
but usually you don't get direct answers, I will tell you my opinion, if you can afford go to OpenLabs.com & buy a
Miko or Neko Timbaland Special Edition & it come with Reaper pre installed in it, then install all your favorite VST plugins,
then connect this device to your Main DAw via Midi & Peace you can have best of both world, & drop this
Fxpansion VST to RTAS buggy software, & go make music, you know the Miko is portable & you can take it anywhere with you to make music, I am on my way to switch to another way of working & uninstall this Fxpansion VST to RTAS,
good luck with them, by the way it's the same with GURU, I had lot's of problems with it on MAC & PC

It's a nice suggestion but just not in the budget for me what with Christmas just past, Pro Tools 8 coming out with it's requisite jump to Leopard on a new drive and the economy being what it is. I paid for this software and there should be an update at some point. I've noticed that I'm relying on the wrapper less and less as I've got a good set of RTAS instruments and PT 8 is shipping with 4 new VIs. Do you hear that Fxspansion? 4 new instruments....and that isn't a reason to NOT do a wrapper update. Exclamation

Right.. so Pro Tools 8 is out (a pay update), Leopard is out (ditto) and now you expect a free one out of us, I suppose..?

I'm actually no expecting anything, payed or not payed this the question, there is an upgrade or not doesn't matter to me, I already stopped using Fxpansion products, I am fading out vst's plugins from my Digiplugins folder, even if the upgrade is free I don't want it, I will leave to others, Thanks & my very Best Regards to all Fxpansion Team

I'm actually no expecting anything, payed or not payed this the question, there is an upgrade or not doesn't matter to me, I already stopped using Fxpansion products, I am fading out vst's plugins from my Digiplugins folder, even if the upgrade is free I don't want it, I will leave to others, Thanks & my very Best Regards to all Fxpansion Team

Hummm.....you hear that? It's the sound of Fxspansion losing customers. I didn't think it was just me. Exclamation

Right.. so Pro Tools 8 is out (a pay update), Leopard is out (ditto) and now you expect a free one out of us, I suppose..?

I wasn't going to respond to this but....now that you mention it...yes I do. After enduring an ice storm here in Worcester county, Ma. where we were without power or heat for 12 days during Christmas...then coming back and upon learning we had broken heating pipes then having to go without heat for another 3 days while waiting for a plumber....and paying him with my credit card........yes I do expect it to be free. How's that. Not even bothering with an emoticon.

Hi Angus -
I know there's a bit of heat going on in this thread, but it would be good to know if there's an update planned, paid or not.
We've got about 60 of the things running at my university, new year starting in a month, upgrading to PT8 now, and really need to know in regards to our budget ...
Many thanks,
Simon

Update to do what, exactly? We've had QA do an initial pass with PT8 and things are looking OK, so unless problems pop up out of the woodwork, there doesn't seem to be a need right now.

As to amahmoud and gothboy.. well, whatever. No business likes to lose customers - but equally, when customers ask repeatedly for the technically and/or economically implausible, what are we to do? Confused

Again.. we make compatibility guidelines freely available to all devs, which is really the best that can be done. There are one or two who refuse to play ball (Mike Kleps and Markus Feil most notably), but for most of them it's a pretty easy thing to accomplish.

Post I want to be specific 
How come I have the same version of VST To RTAS 2.11 on My New MacBook Pro latest model 2.8 ghz & on my Mac Pro 8 core latest model & both have OSX 10.5.6 with latest updates, I repaired disk permissions on both machines, look what happened, in the Mac Pro you open the VST to RTAS Search for the vst plugins the software found them, but still see the old
vst that I already uninstall from my Mac Pro from long time ago, it keep seeing them & they are not in any vst folders,
now look what happened on my MacBook Pro when I open the VST to RTAS Search for the vst plugins the software found them, I select the ones that I need to covert by selecting Yes on each of them, after this I close the VST to RTAS program, then when I Launch it again the list is empty but the Digi Plugins Folder still have the converted plugins inside, if now I close the VST To RTAS Program without searching for the plugins again (because the list was empty), now if I open the Digi Plugins Folder I find it empty, so I have to open the warper again & search for the plugins agin to be converted & select them to Yes, This is really strange on each different computer you got something different, Yes maybe because the 10.5.6 OSX Combo update I did, but this is showing that there is a Big Problem, both Machine has the ProTools 8, can anybody investigate this situation at Fxpansion ??? I am sure that other people has different problem in there machine, I mean if they are still using older computer, Thanks again & hope that this will help, Reagrds,

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1