Fxpansion.com Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQ UsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Upgrade from DTXpress II to DTXpress IV or DTXTREME III
Post Upgrade from DTXpress II to DTXpress IV or DTXTREME III 
I'm in the early stages of shopping around for an upgrade from my DTXpress II kit to a DTXpress IV or DTXTREME III. Is it worth it? I'm looking for improvements to the pad feel / dynamic range to the brain internal sounds and on out the midi, for record and playback using BFD2. I use the brain built-in sounds extensively for jamming / practice / monitoring while recording, so the quality of the built-in sounds are important. I'm also looking for improvements to the midi latency and jitter.

Several things I have mulled-over here:
- For $1,350 I could just buy the DTXpress IV pad set & brain, keeping my DTXpress II rack & other H/W
- For $1,500 I could buy an entire new DTXpress IV kit ($150 more than buying just the pads & brain)
- For $4,000 I could buy an entire new DTXTREME IIISP kit (massive price jump from the DTXpress IV kit)

One thing that is hard to figure is why I only save $150 buying just the brain & pads. You would think that the rack, h/w, and cables would be worth more than $150. Am I missing something here?

Are there any features to the DTXTREME IIISP kit that make it worth almost 3X the cost of the DTXpress IV kit? One thing I do like about the DTXTREME IIISP is it has a USB port for midi data, which should help with latency/jitter. Problem is, according to the Yamaha manual, the max USB cable length is 3 meters. I need to go 9 meters. Any recommendations appreciated.

- The bbdude

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1