Fxpansion.com Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQ UsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
what hard drive do i install bfd2 on
Post what hard drive do i install bfd2 on 
Hey all
I have been reading lots of articles on the forum and i keep reading that to install bfd2 on its own hard drive.
I have installed the programme on my computers hard drive in programme files x86. I run window 7 64 bit on a laptop with lots of ram 6gb.I trying to track down a problem with my system please reff the latency when i record thread.
The question i ask here is should i be running bfd2 on a external hard drive and if so can you recomend me one thats up to the requirerments of bfd Question

Yes run the BFD2 program on your C drive and all the Audio and grooves on a 7200rpm external drive.
I use a Lacie 250G 7200 drive. But the choice is up to you.

Evil Drums Eco Kit 1
Yamaha expansions,MCA, Oak, Heavy and YSS2
AD,SD 2.3.1 SSD4 PL
Presonus Firebox,
DTX900 Module
DTXtreme1 Pads
PCY135x2 and 155 KP125W
RHH135 Hi Hat
Drumkat 3.8
Thanks for the reply
I run a electric drum kit like yours can i ask what interface you use or how you get your kit to talk to bfd2.
Please reff to my other thread latency when i record as i am having trouble with live recording.
I get a delay [latency] when i real time record in both my headphones and control room speakers.
when i use a midi key board to control bfd2 and programe the beats i don't have this problem.
but being a metal drummer its really hard to programme [express] that type of drumming with a keyboard. Smile

I go from pads to the I/O usb into the computer.Work great in standalone.
I have the same thing recording in Reaper. But Im a noob at the recording part so I cant help.
I tried to record a tune but I got the missed beats too, but I dont know what im doing yet.

Evil Drums Eco Kit 1
Yamaha expansions,MCA, Oak, Heavy and YSS2
AD,SD 2.3.1 SSD4 PL
Presonus Firebox,
DTX900 Module
DTXtreme1 Pads
PCY135x2 and 155 KP125W
RHH135 Hi Hat
Drumkat 3.8
I found that using a external drive gave me latencys problem too so i changed back to my computers hard drive , iam not sure of the specs of that external drive but all i use it for now is to back up
I did some research on my computers hard drive and found its below specs [5100rpm] which is pritty standard for a laptop so iam told. so now i'am thinking that the load between bfd2 and reaper at the same time is causing the performance issue.
I'am also looking into a upgrade to a raptor hard drive which spins at 10000rpm and has 32mg cache.
Iam am still working on this to see if it is compatable with my computer.
Iam also going to post a thread on reaper's forum to see if any other reaper users are having the same problem.
Join into that one and we will see if its a problem in reaper. Cool

Realistically you will need an external Firewire drive to get best performance and lowest latency.

Do you have a Firewire connector on your laptop...?

For best results I'd recommend one of the following external drives (from cheapest to most expensive)

FireWire 400 7200 rpm HDD (~37MB/s)
FireWire 800 7200 rpm HDD (~55 MB/s)
FireWire 800 7200 rpm HDD (2 disk RAID-0) (~88 MB/s)
eSATA 7200 rpm HDD (~100 MB/s)
eSATA Multi-Cell SSD (~275MB/s)
eSATA Single-Cell SSD (~720MB/s)

Having a dedicate drive to stream off of is essential. This should also be separate from the drive Reaper uses to record/playback!

-Rob.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1