Fxpansion.com Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQ UsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
How many slices will Geist allow for?
Post How many slices will Geist allow for? 
How many slices are possible with Geist?

Can I map the "song" I'm chopping to say a 61 or 76 key midi controller? In other words if the limit is 128 slices,how do I play them down the keys?

I'm chopping a song,but only getting 16 slices..

thanks if you can help

sorry if I'm the oddball out,I normally use a ton of slices.. Wink

Post Re: How many slices will Geist allow for? 
bobbybland wrote:
How many slices are possible with Geist?

Can I map the "song" I'm chopping to say a 61 or 76 key midi controller? In other words if the limit is 128 slices,how do I play them down the keys?

I'm chopping a song,but only getting 16 slices..

thanks if you can help

sorry if I'm the oddball out,I normally use a ton of slices.. Wink

It can use 128 slices, they can be assigned to layers - I'd suggest watching the slicer tutorial that's up on you tube for more info Smile

I've watched this video a few times actually ,but I don't understand how I can manually chop the audio the way I want to..
For example,I'm not interested in classifying anything,I just want to add multiple slices,and have it map to a pad, or a key..And I'll manually place the slices where I'd like them..

The guy in the video doesn't go into any detail about divide mode , which is what I'm more interested in.. I think transient slicing works well with drums,but in my case I'm chopping musical parts - so the divide mode is much better..

What I'd like to have Geist do, is divide a large wav into many pieces - the layering part is where I'm lost,and why I'm asking for some pointers here. I've spent all day trying to understand exactly how to do this..

If you can offer some more detailed help, it would be appreciated..

by the way when I do try to use divide mode,on audio that I know hasn't been chopped yet, it shows the slices as locked, and this also is confusing the heck outta me..

More specifically ,can you tell me how I can just assign say 32 slices, and how I can map these slices to my midi controller?

Thanks in advance

There really isn't much to explain in with Divide mode. Just enable it and enter the number of slices you want. The audio file will be precisely divided into that many slices.

If you want to just start adding your own slices from scratch. Open a file in the Slicer then reduce the sensitivity to zero. Then manually add all the slices you want.

If Auto-Load is enabled the slices will dynamically be added to the pads as you make changes. If Auto-Load is disabled then you will have to commit manually by either drag/dropping slices to pads or by using the 3 dedicated Extract buttons.

The lock icon means that the slice will be protected from reducing the sensitivity. It does NOT prevent you from moving or deleting slice points. Slice points are given this status if you have added them manually (that includes using the Divide system) OR if they are a slice read from a recycle file. Basically any slice that is NOT created by the sensitivity / transient detect system will have a lock icon.

Hope that helps.

your question got me curious about this too. the slicing part of your question seems to have been dealt with, but not the mapping to keys on your controller.

"More specifically ,can you tell me how I can just assign say 32 slices, and how I can map these slices to my midi controller?"

if you look on page 10 of the operation manual, it has the different midi mappings for the pads, patterns etc. it shows that if you set your midi channel to channel 10, ALL the pads (8 engines X 16 pads) can be played using keys C-2 to G8. so i guess if you can cut your long sample into 32 slices, assign them to the 16 pads on 2 engines, then set your midi controller to channel 10, you should be able to trigger all 32 pads separately with the appropriate keys on the controller. don't know if it's possible to change the midi mapping, but 128 keys should give you lots of flexibility...

just downloaded the demo and haven't tried this personally yet - just going by what it says in the manual. perhaps someone more knowledgeable can jump in with thoughts on if this is the best way to do what you want.

It seems to be the same Layering system that Guru had, which isn't very playable.

I believe he's been asking for this feature for years. Wink

one sample per pad across all 128 pads/8 engines or less.

It seems to be the same Layering system that Guru had, which isn't very playable.

I believe he's been asking for this feature for years. Wink

one sample per pad across all 128 pads/8 engines or less.

You are correct, I have been.. Wink Thanks torque

There really isn't much to explain in with Divide mode. Just enable it and enter the number of slices you want. The audio file will be precisely divided into that many slices.

If you want to just start adding your own slices from scratch. Open a file in the Slicer then reduce the sensitivity to zero. Then manually add all the slices you want.

If Auto-Load is enabled the slices will dynamically be added to the pads as you make changes. If Auto-Load is disabled then you will have to commit manually by either drag/dropping slices to pads or by using the 3 dedicated Extract buttons.

The lock icon means that the slice will be protected from reducing the sensitivity. It does NOT prevent you from moving or deleting slice points. Slice points are given this status if you have added them manually (that includes using the Divide system) OR if they are a slice read from a recycle file. Basically any slice that is NOT created by the sensitivity / transient detect system will have a lock icon.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply..Is it not possible though, to chop a sample into many slices, and play it down the keyboard, in one pass? It seems like this is more difficult then it should be when we start talking about layers, this is where I start scratching my head... Shocked I'm lost when it comes to layers. I'd just like it,if I chopped the sample, to be able to play it down the board,without any confusion..
Sorta like Maschine,SliceX,EmulatorX,ASR10,Mpc's Dr. Rex etc.... Is this not possible?

@bobbybland

your question got me curious about this too. the slicing part of your question seems to have been dealt with, but not the mapping to keys on your controller.

"More specifically ,can you tell me how I can just assign say 32 slices, and how I can map these slices to my midi controller?"

if you look on page 10 of the operation manual, it has the different midi mappings for the pads, patterns etc. it shows that if you set your midi channel to channel 10, ALL the pads (8 engines X 16 pads) can be played using keys C-2 to G8. so i guess if you can cut your long sample into 32 slices, assign them to the 16 pads on 2 engines, then set your midi controller to channel 10, you should be able to trigger all 32 pads separately with the appropriate keys on the controller. don't know if it's possible to change the midi mapping, but 128 keys should give you lots of flexibility...

just downloaded the demo and haven't tried this personally yet - just going by what it says in the manual. perhaps someone more knowledgeable can jump in with thoughts on if this is the best way to do what you want.

Yes you are exactly correct on what I'm wanting to do here.I'll try channel 10 to see if it works.. Wink

Okay, it doesn't seem to work at all in Geist Standalone.. I set my Alesis 76key controller to midi channel 10 and I don't get anything..I have the divide mode at 64 ,so I should be triggering something if it did work.. If I put it back to midi channel 1,
I am able to trigger midi.

Can any of the Fx crew offer me some advise on what to try next?

Thanks in advance

edit: Same thing happening in DAW Studio One - if I choose midi channel 10, I get nothing.. so I'm all ears, to any suggestions on how to play all 32 slices or more down the board..

Any advise is welcome..

Rory_FX wrote:

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply..Is it not possible though, to chop a sample into many slices, and play it down the keyboard, in one pass? It seems like this is more difficult then it should be when we start talking about layers, this is where I start scratching my head... Shocked I'm lost when it comes to layers. I'd just like it,if I chopped the sample, to be able to play it down the board,without any confusion..
Sorta like Maschine,SliceX,EmulatorX,ASR10,Mpc's Dr. Rex etc.... Is this not possible?

definitely that what i was asking for

http://www.fxpansion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7574836

so +1 ( for the "happy ending")

I just want an answer to the question,if it's not possible, that's fine too..
I have Maschine SliceX Emulator X3 Mach Five 2, that I use for chopping,so I'm good Wink .. but it would be really nice to be able to do this in Geist,and I wanna make sure I know what it's capable of,and that I'm not overlooking something..

bump

Reply to topic Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next