Fxpansion.com Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQ UsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
How many slices will Geist allow for?
There really isn't much to explain in with Divide mode. Just enable it and enter the number of slices you want. The audio file will be precisely divided into that many slices.

Trying to understand this as well.. Okay you mention that the slices will be precisely divided, the problem I get is, they are locked,how can I unlock the slices as well? Or re-edit the slice if need be? Possible?

You can't manipulate slice points in divide mode - it's a straight division mode (manual page 41).

Why don't you use the Transient mode? It works pretty well..

You can't manipulate slice points in divide mode - it's a straight division mode (manual page 41).

Why don't you use the Transient mode? It works pretty well..
It looks like I'll have to.. thanks for the reply Wink
for drums and audio w/ peaks transient works great, for music without larger transients,a simple divide to grid, slice mode works faster.. ime..it gets the slices closer on a snap approach easier to paint a picture for me at least..

IF divide mode did allow me to change certain slices,I would use that and only that.. Rarely do I approach slicing for drums,or loops.. I mainly use slicing for musical parts,but this is where I always have issues,as most aren't on that,and don't code with that in mind..

The only sampler/slicer I know that has built in analyzer + tempo detection,and looks for this sort of material,is Emulator X3 Wink

Any chance you guys can lift that limitation for divide mode, in an update ? As an option? eg: allow a quick fast auto chop via divide mode - then , allow end user to freely edit/move those divided chops?

Any chance you guys can lift that limitation for divide mode, in an update ? As an option? eg: allow a quick fast auto chop via divide mode - then , allow end user to freely edit/move those divided chops?

+1

I would also like to use divide mode then edit the slices... For example, I have an arpeggiated synth part... it is easy with divide to get all the slices, but then I want to delete a couple cause a couple arp steps were x2 length...

Transient is excellent for percussion, but I also slice synth parts where transient, even at the highest sensitivity puts no slices so in that case one only has the option to put all the slices in manually.

Also, I would like in divide mode to be able to set start and end point... and I would like the # of slices to be mouse wheel scrollable

Exactly , divide mode Could be - (Could) be way more useful.. What it would do is just give you the basic skeleton of the grid..Most music is played on a click,and even for the music I chop ,which didn't have clicks, the players we're very good,so getting it close and QUICK is the biggest thing for divide mode.. but to not be able to edit after,is kind of a let down.

I am going to just manually chop samples in geist,it seems ,but an update to divide mode would sure speed things up for those who chop like this.. I can't really complain about Geist as a whole, it's a great tool, but I do look forward to further updates,and I hope this one can make the list at a high enough priority..

hope you can see the relevance in this request..Along with that,is my other request,and that's a simple fast way to chop a song into many different pieces,and str-8 away get to triggering all of those slices via midi controller..

Thanks Wink

.Along with that,is my other request,and that's a simple fast way to chop a song into many different pieces,and str-8 away get to triggering all of those slices via midi controller..

+1 on that too

only being able to extract 16 parts and be realtime playable is a disappointing limitation... disappointing cause Geist is so easy and fun to use that I want to be able to use it as my primary tool... I can slice in Live to a drum rack without the 16 pad limitation, but then editing is so tedious compared to Geist.

"Along with that,is my other request,and that's a simple fast way to chop a song into many different pieces,and str-8 away get to triggering all of those slices via midi controller.. "

^^^^
I so wanted this to be a feature too. Sorry to say that the lack of this feature is going to hold me back from buying the full version.

Just like in Guru you can edit the divide/chop slices. you have to slice it first though. then through the pad/layers tab you can move around the slice brackets for each of the pads. The slices are just referencing the entire sound file and not slicing destructively.

Just like in Guru you can edit the divide/chop slices. you have to slice it first though. then through the pad/layers tab you can move around the slice brackets for each of the pads. The slices are just referencing the entire sound file and not slicing destructively.

Hi torque,
I'm very interested in this,do you know of any good tutorials for this? I don't know where to get started with the layers..

torque138 wrote:

Hi torque,
I'm very interested in this,do you know of any good tutorials for this? I don't know where to get started with the layers..

Slice with however many divisions you would like, hit done in the slicer. Then go to the pads layers page and you can drag the start and end of the slice around Very Happy Also, check out the view modes (bottom right of the waveform display). These can be set to various auto zoom modes that are really useful for slicing

Basically you just go into the pad/layer edit tab after you commit and dismiss the slice screen. Then adjust the start end points on each pad from there. The problem is that it's only practical for 16 slices because the other slices are layered underneath on the pads. I can't see any benefit of placing the slices on layers like that. They should be spread to the other engines instead.

Basically you just go into the pad/layer edit tab after you commit and dismiss the slice screen. Then adjust the start end points on each pad from there. The problem is that it's only practical for 16 slices because the other slices are layered underneath on the pads. I can't see any benefit of placing the slices on layers like that. They should be spread to the other engines instead.

Right yeah I mean whats the point in slicing it,if you can't play it str-8 away? with my keys.. Shocked I should note, if they don't see this as a performance enhancement then, we're on are own. Perhaps I'm asking for an impossible thing here,maybe the code restricts this, and it would create an issue?

Last edited by bobbybland on Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
bobbybland wrote:
torque138 wrote:

Hi torque,

Slice with however many divisions you would like, hit done in the slicer. Then go to the pads layers page and you can drag the start and end of the slice around Very Happy Also, check out the view modes (bottom right of the waveform display). These can be set to various auto zoom modes that are really useful for slicing

Okay I see what your saying now,but if I want to play these slices on my keyboard, this becomes a problem, switching to different engines etc.
What would be great is if I could slice up to 128 slices,and then have a keyboard mode, to where we could play all these chops out without switching any engines.. I've requested this a few years ago with Guru..

Is that possible, can you guys see how this would make the performance better?
Interested in FxPansions thoughts here..

i'm with bobby on this one. This is the one thing that might hold me back from buying the full version

Reply to topic Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next