Fxpansion.com Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQ UsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Envelope loop sync problems
Post Envelope loop sync problems 
Do synced and looped envelopes run in time properly for anyone?

e.g.

Add strobe, set amp env to sync and loop. Set all sliders to 0 and set the decay to 1/8th note. Setup an 8 bar loop just playing one continuous note with the metronome on. For me the timing always drifts out of sync and is noticeable by the 3rd bar. Same with the mod envelope.

Its the same for Cypher and Amber as well. I tried both Ableton Live (8.2.1) and Energy XT 2.6 Beta 18th Nov. with different buffer sizes and it happens every time.

Win 7 x64, Motu 828 Mk2 w/ ASIO drivers. 192 / 256 samples buffer.

it makes the envelope loops pretty much unusable. Sad

just to make it clearer here's an example of the problem, the synth is strobe with the amp env set to 1/8 on the decay, all others at 0. The click is also strobe but is being triggered every 1/8th note.

An mp3 :

http://relivethefuture.com/music/misc/DCAM_EnvSyncProblem.mp3

A live set :

http://relivethefuture.com/music/misc/DCAM_EnvSyncProblem.als

It is by design that it is not perfect. We always have to have a tiny amount of attack to stop clicks and this will cause a looped envelope to slowly drift out of sync.

The LFO will be perfectly synced so you can use that or you can just retrigger the notes (maybe with the arp).

ok. it might be worth adding a note to the manual in the envelope section about this. Smile

i guess one option (apart from using an ARP/LFO) would be to have some way of subtracting the attack time from the decay stage so that you can get proper sync.

also, if you have the sync option on and set the attack to a non-zero value, is it actually that value or is that value added to this minimum attack time?

the problem with using the lfo is that you then lose the use of the lfo to do something else, and particularly in strobe where you only have one lfo this cuts down your modulation options significantly.

of course you could use Fusor for more LFOs from the MonoMod section, but they dont have gate options. Also I cant see a way to use 2 strobes in fusor where the LFO of one triggers the envelope of another.

oh well. for now i'll work with what is there. I hope at least there is some food for thought for the next iteration. Smile

Also I cant see a way to use 2 strobes in fusor where the LFO of one triggers the envelope of another

No, but you could just load up another Strobe and use it's LFO to modulate something in your main synth. If you go to a modslot in any synth in Fusor you'll notice that there is a submenu for any synth that is currently loaded (labelled Synth1, Synth2, Synth3). So you can use all modulation sources from any synth, modular style! It's powerful stuff.

We hear you on the envelope sync. It's being discussed Smile

No, but you could just load up another Strobe and use it's LFO to modulate something in your main synth.

good point. i couldnt see the wood for the trees here Smile

Quote:
We hear you on the envelope sync. It's being discussed Smile

great. thanks for the replies, its really appreciated.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1