Fxpansion.com Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQ UsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Geist Quick Tip Videos - check back every Friday for a new video!
great work on the vids so far.i've been using geist and guru for some time now now but have never been able to use it with my mpd properly inside ableton.i've given up on trying as i followed instructions to route a midi channel to a geist midi channel on channel 9 but it never quite worked.now your doing these quick tips im hoping that maybe showing how to set up geist to work inside ableton with the mpd mapping you provided.standalone it works no problems.

cheers

CALVIN01 - I try not to do host specific stuff the Quick Tips. Even though I use Live in all the examples, they are all techniques which would work in any host.

What problems are you having? It should be as easy as inserting Geist on a midi channel, setting the midi input to MPD channel 9 and loading the MPD preset. Make sure you lock the midi mapping otherwise loading another preset will wipe the MPD specific mapping.

Do you plan to implement a vertical zoom (aplitude) for the waveform in the slicing editor ?
I am afraid that some important low level details get lost at the attack phase.

It's on the feature request list Smile

It should be as easy as inserting Geist on a midi channel, setting the midi input to MPD channel 9 and loading the MPD preset. Make sure you lock the midi mapping otherwise loading another preset will wipe the MPD specific mapping.

i've tried this but had no joy Sad ,i also read somewhere in the guru forum that lives midi routing works slightly differently and that to sort the issue you should set up a midi channel with input mpd ch9 and output to another midi channel with geist in it.i am selecting midi in on the geist channel from the first midi channel but its only working on the first engine.arghhhh
i've tried every possible way of routing it i can think of.

thnx anyway

Insert another midi channel.
Set the input to your midi input device.
Set the FIRST output menu to the Geist midi track.
Set the SECOND output menu to 'Geist Channel 9' or something similar.

Does that help?

where's last friday's quick tip?

First post on the page - no.8 - resampling.

oops, didn't notice. I am subscribed to your youtube channel but I see that the video is unlisted, that's why I missed it.

Thanks!

oops, fixed the unlisted, thanks for the headsup Smile

Rory_FX wrote:
It should be as easy as inserting Geist on a midi channel, setting the midi input to MPD channel 9 and loading the MPD preset. Make sure you lock the midi mapping otherwise loading another preset will wipe the MPD specific mapping.

i've tried this but had no joy Sad ,i also read somewhere in the guru forum that lives midi routing works slightly differently and that to sort the issue you should set up a midi channel with input mpd ch9 and output to another midi channel with geist in it.i am selecting midi in on the geist channel from the first midi channel but its only working on the first engine.arghhhh
i've tried every possible way of routing it i can think of.

thnx anyway

I had the same frustration with Live and the Maschine Template. Trust me, I feel your pain, it definitely needs to be fixed (on Ableton's end).

Your only option is to do what I did. You create 17 midi channels. Load Geist on the first and every midi channel after you have to set your midi in's and outs to and from your MPD to Geist '1 through 16'. Once you do this, group them all, close the group, label it, and drag it to your 'templates' folder in you Live Library.

That way every time you want to bring up Geist in Live you just drag the template you named into the session view. You will have to load the Geist Preset and lock the midi mappings, and you will have to arm the 16 midi tracks one by one.

Takes a minute, but it works. You keep it out of your way by folding the group so it's nice and tidy.

Hope this helps.

WHERE'S MY DAMN VIDEO!!! Just yankin ur chain. I look forward to these every week.

Thanks guys.

ok I know you uploaded a quicktip video 32 minutes ago to youtube but it is not public yet, you will probably reveal it tomorrow. How do I know? I am subscribed to your channel on youtube and your feed suddenly jumps to the top saying something was uploaded 32 minutes ago but all i see is an old quicktip, the down side of this is that when you do make it public the next day, the feed does not jump back up to the top. it's a small detail really, but I thought you should know nonetheless, maybe it's a youtube oversight / bug, because this happens every thursday, which seems to be the day when you upload the vid Smile

yes, I agree. I missed some episodes due to this Confused

leoelzein - That's interesting thanks. I always assumed the feed would be updated when the video went public. I guess I'll have to stop uploading until the day of release!

You eager beavers may as well have a sneak preview of tomorrows tip Wink

Reply to topic Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next