Fxpansion.com Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQ UsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
BFD Percussion v2.1 Bonus Update now available for registered users
Post BFD Percussion v2.1 Bonus Update now available for registered users 
Hi All

Registered BFD Percussion users who have BFD v2.1 can now take advantage of a new bonus update that reissues four instruments from the original expansion pack, and takes advantage of some of the new format's functionality.

Since the initial release of BFD Percussion, it has been noted by some users that the Ashiko and Djembe tom sets have silent direct channels whilst bleeding two mic channels in the primary snare. This occurred because those kit-pieces were originally authored to be snare-class by John Emrich, but were broken up into Tom-class sets at the last minute. At the time, BFD was still in version 1.x and could not load more two snares at one time, so by repurposing these kit-pieces into Tom sets it could facilitate a single 18-piece kit will all the large hand-drums loaded in at once. However, the Ashiko and Djembe never got their mic channel layout reworked, so what had originally been intended as two direct mics inadvertently became two snare bleed mics. One of the objectives of this update is to deliver those kit-pieces as John originally intended whilst making use of some new v2.1 features such as custom articulations:

Snare: Ashiko - Hit(center), Edge and Muted
Snare: Djembe - Hit(center), Edge and Muted

Following from that, it was decided to re-release the bongos. Although these kit-pieces were always intended to be Tom-class, because Tom-class could only support two articulations it meant that the kit-pieces had to be broken up in order support the five articulations John wanted to capture. That said, it still seems to be useful have a separate kit-piece for the "macho" and "hembra" parts of the bongo so that they can be mixed separately. The solution here is to combine the bongos tom sets into two kit-pieces of two and three articulations respectively:

Hi Tom: Macho bongo - Hit(center), Edge and Muted
Mid Tom: Hembra bongo - Hit(center) and Muted

The download is about 280Mb, and can be found in SUPPORT > DOWNLOAD > BFD Percussion > Product audio content

I've also added four BFD2 presets that use the new kit-pieces in some vaguely demonstrative ways.

All the best,
-Rob.

Last edited by rob_fx (ex-FX) on Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

MacPro 12 Core 2x2.4 GHz, 24 GB Ram, 10.8.4/10.7.5, Focusrite Liquid 56, PT 11.0.2/10.3.7 w/CPTK add-on
If that ain't love... then what is? Twisted Evil

Thanks for the cool additions... I'm looking forward to trying these out tonight.

jord

- SLAVE: E6600, 4GB, XP-Pro SP3, FX Teleport

I just tested the new 2.1 sounds in BFD2.1.0.41
All articulations seem to work well when I click the articulation-buttons in the piece selector window, except for one...

There's still no direct sound for... PER Ashiko v2.1 - Muted Embarassed
The OH and Room channels seem to work fine Smile

I tested on both my machines (DAW + slave).

Rob,

I just tested the new 2.1 sounds in BFD2.1.0.41
All articulations seem to work well when I click the articulation-buttons in the piece selector window, except for one...

There's still no direct sound for... PER Ashiko v2.1 - Muted Embarassed
The OH and Room channels seem to work fine Smile

I tested on both my machines (DAW + slave).

Sorry to hear you are having trouble! There's definitely direct sound there. Check the installer log - if the zip file got damaged then not all the data would have been extracted.

We're experimenting with our own windows self-extractor that we strap on a universal zip file containing both mac and windows installers. If this is what's breaking in this case then download the zip archive from the mac link and try that.

-Rob.

Ok nevermind. Somehow I managed to screw this up. $^%$^%$^&

I'll sort this out ASAP.

Right then, I've taken that item out of public view. Unfortunately I can't get the congeal tool from the office to fix this so it might have to wait until Monday.

Sorted. Uploading now. Will shoot puppies another day.

There's no windows exe this time, so if you are a windows user be sure to FULLY extract the archive before running the installer.

-Rob.

Test passed for all new instruments on both machines. Everything seems to be fine now! Cool

Thank you very much Rob!

Test passed for all new instruments on both machines. Everything seems to be fine now! Cool

Thanks for reporting! I can now rest in peace....

Quote:
These kit-pieces can be installed:
(i) in the same path as you existing BFD Percussion Installation (in a folder next to the "Data" folder called "Audio")

Does this quote mean you can install them in your /BFD/Data folder, or do you need a folder called "Audio"? I have the original percussion pack's data installed in that directory along with all other packs pre BFD2.x

In the interim I'll install to a new folder and add the data path, but I'd like to have this installed in the above directory if possible to keep packs and their data together.

Thanks in advance of letting me know.

Ash Very Happy

Edit;

I also notice a problem with the Mac installer in that the path doesn't get updated automatically if you choose to browse for a location to install to. It gets added to the drop-down list and from their you have to select it. Older installers didn't have this problem, but I have noted this happen with some latter JSD ones too - I'll let Rail know Wink

MacPro 12 Core 2x2.4 GHz, 24 GB Ram, 10.8.4/10.7.5, Focusrite Liquid 56, PT 11.0.2/10.3.7 w/CPTK add-on
Regarding the installation Rob...

Quote:
These kit-pieces can be installed:
(i) in the same path as you existing BFD Percussion Installation (in a folder next to the "Data" folder called "Audio")

Does this quote mean you can install them in your /BFD/Data folder, or do you need a folder called "Audio"? I have the original percussion pack's data installed in that directory along with all other packs pre BFD2.x

It's installed in an "Audio" sub-folder, because this new update contains 2.x data.
The original Percussion pack was installed in the "Data" sub-folder because it was 1.x compatible.
I wouldn't mix up the 1.x and 2.x kit pieces, and keep seperate Data and Audio sub-folders Smile

Cheers OpenMind, it just clicked as I was typing Laughing

Rob,

I notice that the Edge and Muted artic's for PERBngsLPv2.1-Mch(H) sound exactly the same. Was there a mix up with the wrong data for one of those hit types? - i.e. the same audio conformed twice. I'm not sure which one thus is the correct sound for either type, but can be sure that they're 100% the same.

Confused

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next