Does Geist do anything that I cannot already do with my DAW? [top]
Nowadays, all DAWs are incredibly capable, powerful tools. However, there are an infinite variety of ways to implement any given feature, and many sample-based processes can be extremely tedious in DAW software, often requiring several different applications. Geist tries to make these kinds of long-winded processes extremely fast, and virtually instant in many cases.
We encourage you to download the demo and take it for a spin to see how it could speed up your creative projects!
Is Geist the sequel to GURU? [top]
Geist is obviously inspired by GURU, but it is not a new version or update of GURU. Geist is designed from scratch - it takes most of the core functionality of GURU, refines it and adds a large variety of powerful new features, all presented in a newly-designed user interface. The result is a more cohesive, user-friendly experience.
We've elaborated on this over at the Forum - Geist design philosophy - a primer for GURU users
I already own GURU - what are the main new features in Geist? [top]
While it's impossible to list all the new features and workflow enhancements, here's a brief summary of the new features (see the manual for a full guide to what is possible with Geist) :
- Redesigned, powerful browser
- New, fully-editable slicing panel
- Brand new slicing and detection algorithms for auto-slicing and pad assignment
- Sampling input with a variety of sampling modes
- More powerful pattern editing
- Retro recording (retrospectively capturing takes made during playback)
- Intuitive song mode for arranging patterns in all 8 engines on a linear timeline
- Song mode features intuitive mouse-based editing and real-time record/capture of pattern/scene performances
- New high-quality FX suite
- Preset system for FX and entire FX chains
- FX slots for layers, pads, engines, master and 4 aux buss channels
- Graph automation for pad FX
- Improved automation functionality with MIDI-learn host automation assignment
- Zynaptiq ZTX timestretch/pitch-shift technology
- Better velocity-split zone editing
- More comprehensive choke modes
- ADSR envelopes with control over Attack, Decay and Release phase curves
- Convert patterns between different step-sequencer grids
- Cleaner, more transparent audio engine
- Multi-level Undo/redo for pattern, song, sound/mix/effect parameter edits (configurable no. of undo steps, subject to available memory)
- Newly-designed, intuitive interface
- New, exclusive 2GB sound library featuring cutting edge samples from proven sound designers
Why is feature [x] from GURU not in Geist? [top]
Geist is heavily inspired by GURU, but it is not a new version of GURU. The focus of Geist is to streamline the core parts of GURU and make them work in a much better way. For example, the slicing functionality and the browser have been completely overhauled, and the new features like sampling and the song mode add new dimensions. However, it does not contain all the features from GURU. We encourage you to download the demo and read the manual to see what is possible with Geist, and to approach it on its own merits instead of comparing it to GURU. You can, of course, continue to use GURU alongside Geist.
Is Geist supported on Mac PowerPC Machines? [top]
No, the Mac version of Geist works only on Intel machines.
Is Geist supported on Mac OSX 10.4 (Tiger)? [top]
No - the Mac version of Geist is supported only on Leopard 10.5.8 and Snow Leopard 10.6.2 and above.
What plugin formats are provided with Geist? [top]
On Mac: VST, AU and RTAS
On Windows: VST and RTAS
Does Geist support 64-bit hosts? [top]
Yes - as of v22.214.171.124, Geist is a fully-supported 64-bit plugin (it's also supplied with a 32-bit version for 32-bit hosts) and requires Windows 7 or later / Mac OSX 10.6.2 or later.
Windows XP and Windows Vista can no longer be supported.
Is Geist a sampler that actually samples? [top]
Yes. Geist offers a number of different sampling modes, including threshold-based, free recording, recording exact loops synced to the host, and multiple takes. In hosts which support audio input to audio instruments, you can route audio using the host's routing features directly into the Geist instance. In other hosts, you can insert the supplied companion audio-routing plugin, Spitter, onto any track in to route the track's audio into Geist's sampler. Or you can simply resample the main output or any sub-output from Geist itself.
Does the standalone version support sampling? [top]
Does Geist support multiple outputs? [top]
Yes, the plugin and standalone version feature 15 additional stereo sub-outputs in addition to the main stereo output, as long as your audio interface supports this (Geist will support as many channels as your audio interface can offer if it's below 16 stereo channels).
Does Geist feature a MIDI output? [top]
Yes, when using hosts which support MIDI output from VST plugins, the patterns in the 8 engines are transmitted from Geist's MIDI output on the first 8 MIDI channels. The MIDI output is available in the VST plugin version and when using the standalone application. It is not possible to use this feature in AU or RTAS plugin versions.
Can I load GURU files into Geist? [top]
You can import GURU presets, kits, patterns and pattern banks as long as they were saved with GURU version 1.5 or later. Note that many things cannot be translated as Geist has a substantially different architecture. However, the samples and many settings are carried over.
Does Geist feature new effects? [top]
Yes, Geist features a completely new set of high-quality FX featuring new filters and DCAM compressors. The GURU FX are not included.
Is Geist suitable for live use? [top]
Yes. Geist has several features geared towards making live use possible, such as being able to set a separate output for browser previews and the metronome.
Does Geist come with any sounds? [top]
Yes. Geist comes with a cutting edge, exclusive 2GB library from established sound designers like Goldbaby, KJ Sawka, Dom Kane, Groove Criminals and many more. It also features presets by many well-known artists such as Armin Van Buuren, D Ramirez, portion control and more!
Can I export MIDI and audio from Geist? [top]
Yes, you can export MIDI (files and sequences directly to your host) and audio directly from Geist.