Transfuser - blatant ripoff or sincerest form of flattery? - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Transfuser - blatant ripoff or sincerest form of flattery?

Support for GURU

Moderators: Drew_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

Transfuser?

Blatant ripoff!
41%
Sincerest form of flattery...
32%
What GURU 2 should be, already.
14%
No thanks, I'm a Jehova's Witness.
14%

Total votes: 22

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Transfuser - blatant ripoff or sincerest form of flattery?

Postby Angus_FX » Sat May 10, 2008 12:08 pm

Those of you using Pro Tools have probably already seen this by now:-

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2008/05/0 ... e-preview/

Would be interested to see what you all think - needless to say we've already given it a thorough going over at FX Towers, predictably it improves on some areas (timestretching, effects section, global automation and edits, perhaps requires less thinking to get the right result sometimes) and perhaps falls short in others (which I won't list, as I've no doubt they read this board and don't intend to make their job easy for 'em ;)). However, would love to know what the rest of you make of it.

If you don't have Pro Tools, there's a PDF manual on Digidesign's site which should give you a good idea how it works.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Angus.
-- Angus F. Hewlett - CEO - FXpansion --
Twitter | YouTube
Synth Squad | BFD Eco

AshleySmith08

Postby AshleySmith08 » Sat May 10, 2008 12:36 pm

Haha, I kinda knew someone would post about it eventually :lol:

I haven't tried it yet so can't comment all that much...

The GUI looks ok although things may be a bit cramped. The effects section looks nice and sounds it from what I've watched/heard on the digi website vids.

Erm...

That's it thus far I guess.

:)

Not to take this thread OT Angus, but I dearly hope you can help/urge Ralph to port Jamstix to Mac - afaik it's coded in Delphi. Please, please, please. 8)
Engineer/Producer/Musician/Media Content Creator
CV: https://app.box.com/s/oiulec8q1eyqn2r0s46k
MacPro 12 Core 2x2.4 GHz, 24 GB Ram | MacBook Pro 2.8GHz i7, 16GB Ram
10.8.4/10.10.4, UA Apollo Quad, PT 12.x

rabs

Postby rabs » Sat May 10, 2008 3:51 pm

Being a PT user (and obviously a Guru user) I was extremely interested in this product. I have just checked the videos and well for me yes they have certainly stole lots of elements from Guru. Hands down, visually it looks better than Guru but what with Guru being 3 years old it is kind of expected but I also agree the GUI does look very cramped. It does look quite user friendly though and quite simple to create rather complex sounding stuff (if thats what you are after....very easy to do the ol' glitchy stuff) and like you said timestretching, effects look very good. Being a PT product I expect that this would be good in terms of CPU usage within PT, I would hope that when Guru 2 does drop it won't have be over filled with features that would consequently knock the old CPU usage up too much!

Short term conclusion for me...well having almost left my MPC for Guru (didn't think I would ever do that) I am extremely happy with the product (can't wait for V2, as for that matter looking forward to 1.6!!....come on Angus :wink: ) and the FXpansion team is by far the best support team around (who would have thought we would get so many free upgrades for V1.....you wouldn't see PT doing this with their products without charging a hefty sum!!). So, I am pretty sure what waits around the corner with future versions of Guru will keep me staying with FXpansion team!

....this is probably the longest message I have left on any forum but I am an extremely happy Guru user and felt the need to show my appreciation for a product that for me has been by far and away my best ever plugin purchase and completely streamlined my production/creative needs!

andreasolsson

Postby andreasolsson » Sat May 10, 2008 5:18 pm

I'm not a protools user so I can't say much but reading the comments about their gui I just felt the the need to say that I love the way Guru looks, to make it look like a lot of the new stuff (battery, kontakt etc) would be a big mistake.
I just got rid of my mpc3000 (probably the best compliment I could ever pay the lovely people at fxpansion) and I know I won't miss it however I did like it's sort of office look and I think that Guru looks quite similar in that aspect.
What's important here is having an uncluttered and straightforward gui, giving us workflow and funcionality, the plainer the better in my book.
Keep up the good work!
Andreas

DayDrumFour

Postby DayDrumFour » Sat May 10, 2008 7:14 pm

EDIT:

Okay now that I've calmed down a bit, I guess this sort of copying happens all the time.

Guru is so different that it is suprising to see it copied so boldly.

J.Daniels

Postby J.Daniels » Mon May 12, 2008 10:13 am

It looks fun, but

1. I dont own PT
2. Looks like too many irrelevant features/modules that i would never use.
3. I hate the GUI, the simpler the better(as stated above)
4. i didnt look properly, but its missing the sequencer, or atleast a sequencer as powerful as guru's(which is a big one).

Rotter3

Postby Rotter3 » Mon May 12, 2008 10:15 am

Digi sent me the link at the weekend - as I'm in the midst of a project I haven't had time to install.

I had a look at the video - I was pretty shocked at how blatent a rip it actually is. (judging by the vids it seems an ideal plugin for instant italo disco...)

Will report back when I've had a play.

Jason Brian Merill

Postby Jason Brian Merill » Mon May 12, 2008 12:31 pm

I actually AM a Jehovah's Witness ;)

so i'll vote accordingly... hehe
Core i7 2700
6 HDDs SATA one specifically for BFD2 and SSD4
Presonus Firepod with v2.46 drivers
Windows 8 - Reaper
BFD 1.5/BFD 2.0/BFD PER

rabs

Postby rabs » Mon May 12, 2008 7:38 pm

Well I downloaded the free trial of Transfuser and have been using it for about 1 hour...and....for me its just all to fussy and busy. Yep, no doubt it can do some amazing things (very quickly!!) - completely change a loop, good FX, lots options but I have to say I love the simplicity of Guru. Coming from an MPC background, Guru is great - very simple and direct (but obviously has lots under the hood if you need it). The great thing about MPC's is the simple way of creating grooves, the swing and that hands on feel....I am getting all of this with Guru and an MPD so don't see myself switching to Transfuser in the near future. All I ask is that when Guru 2 comes round don't over do the GUI like Transfuser...far to many things to experiment with (which I can understand some people want) but for me it just gets in the way of making music!...which is what its all about! :D

bobbybland

Postby bobbybland » Tue May 13, 2008 6:15 am

Guru 2 :roll:

Madness

Postby Madness » Wed May 14, 2008 3:07 am

I actually quite like the look of this!!!!

Some quality FX would obviously be handy in GURU!!!

Looks like this is more of your "I am Lazy and don't have time to make my own beats" type plug.

I prefer the GURU gui, not having to click around too much is where GURU is awesome.

Guru actually has a pretty logical workflow, once you got your head around it. I could see my self clicking around the U.I in that plug for freakin' ever!!

Kickflip

Postby Kickflip » Fri May 16, 2008 2:41 am

I watched the preview, and it looked interesting, but I agree with the cluttered comments!

The main thing that I liked in there was the dbGlitch clone - especially since moving to Mac ;)
I haven't read through the manual, but it looks like the extra features in there have been addressed in the feature requests list.

Rotter3

Postby Rotter3 » Fri May 16, 2008 8:37 am

Had a little play with it last night - first impression - I hate the GUI - it's so fussy.

torque138

Postby torque138 » Fri May 16, 2008 4:31 pm

Guru kills it, no doubt.

Anything that restricts itself to one platform in this day and age, I just can't take seriously.

Not to mention Guru is cheaper, has some of the best customer service around and rocks the randomize function!

Eagerly awaiting Guru 2.0 :)

musikmachine

Postby musikmachine » Sat May 17, 2008 1:49 pm

torque138 wrote:Guru kills it, no doubt.

Anything that restricts itself to one platform in this day and age, I just can't take seriously.

Not to mention Guru is cheaper, has some of the best customer service around and rocks the randomize function!

Eagerly awaiting Guru 2.0 :)

Guru has a randomizer!?

Return to “GURU”