Transfuser - blatant ripoff or sincerest form of flattery? - Page 2 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Transfuser - blatant ripoff or sincerest form of flattery?

Support for GURU

Moderators: Drew_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

Transfuser?

Blatant ripoff!
41%
Sincerest form of flattery...
32%
What GURU 2 should be, already.
14%
No thanks, I'm a Jehova's Witness.
14%

Total votes: 22

greg.montano@gmail.com

Postby greg.montano@gmail.com » Sun May 18, 2008 1:29 am

you guys need a trademark lawyer. I'll be done with law school next year :)

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Sun May 18, 2008 12:04 pm

@ musikmachine - sure does. Have a look at the "What's new in 1.5" PDF that comes with the demo, the randomizer is the black springloaded slider to the right of the OPTIONS tab. Try it when on different UI tabs, and with and without the ALT and SHIFT keys.
-- Angus F. Hewlett - CEO - FXpansion --
Twitter | YouTube
Synth Squad | BFD Eco

shamca@bell.net

Re: Transfuser - blatant ripoff or sincerest form of flattery?

Postby shamca@bell.net » Mon May 19, 2008 1:33 pm

Angus_FX wrote:Those of you using Pro Tools have probably already seen this by now:-

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2008/05/0 ... e-preview/

I would be reviewing my patents with the FX IP counsel at this point, Angus.

greg.montano@gmail.com

Postby greg.montano@gmail.com » Mon May 19, 2008 1:44 pm

I'd be surprised if this was patented at all in the US. patents = long expensive proposition. trademark is probably the way to go.

shamca@bell.net

Postby shamca@bell.net » Mon May 19, 2008 2:24 pm

gmon72 wrote:I'd be surprised if this was patented at all in the US. patents = long expensive proposition. trademark is probably the way to go.

After years of dealing with this sort of thing at the exec level, I would be surprised if no action is taken; if anything just to make some noise and rattle some cages.

Whatever the case, Angus, you have a superior product and it's fun to use.

Shaun

keyman_sam

Postby keyman_sam » Mon May 19, 2008 7:50 pm

Guru is completely different from this, sorry. The concept is the same. The exection is different. Guru is king.

Lossl

Postby Lossl » Mon May 19, 2008 11:38 pm

i agree, i also dont think its a blatant rip off - GURU also borrowed and improved on ideas of MPC and other drum machines- also most modern sequencers would be blatant rip offs of each other aswell
regarding transfuser: despite it seems to have some very powerful features like the real time destroying stuff for your loops- even though i prefer to use separate plugins like effectrix, glitch or reaktor for this
the whole thing looks horribly cluttered though (and TINY!!! (if that screenshot on that site is really full size)) and stuff in wrong places (imo) like the sequencer being on the very bottom of the interface

for guru 2, a "traditional" slicer view (and of course a song mode :D ) would be sweet, but please keep the main layout more or less untouched - or at least dont start making GUIs like this! :lol:

musikmachine

Postby musikmachine » Wed May 21, 2008 11:27 am

Angus_FX wrote:@ musikmachine - sure does. Have a look at the "What's new in 1.5" PDF that comes with the demo, the randomizer is the black springloaded slider to the right of the OPTIONS tab. Try it when on different UI tabs, and with and without the ALT and SHIFT keys.

Thanks. :)

penningt

Postby penningt » Tue May 27, 2008 10:46 pm

I think Transfuser is a very powerful and sophisticated plugin however I don't like the idea of having to fire up Protools every time I want to have a jam - there is just not enough fun to be had in that environment.

If I could use Transfuser as a VST in Live then I think I would seriously be torn between Transfuser and Guru.

bobbybland

Postby bobbybland » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:01 am

What's gonna happen when Battery 4 comes out with a sequencer and a sampler? :wink:

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:28 pm

You mean *if*, not when. Unless you know something we don't, in which case you probably shouldn't be telling us. At least not on a public forum. :P
-- Angus F. Hewlett - CEO - FXpansion --

Twitter | YouTube

Synth Squad | BFD Eco

bobbybland

Postby bobbybland » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:29 am

:lol:

Zapf

Postby Zapf » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:27 pm

Well, chalk it up to flattery and a bit of competition.

Actually, I think that the Boom drum machine takes a bit from Guru—the pattern sequencing and the midi notes that can trigger the patterns.

I've been a PT user for a couple years. In general the AIR plug-ins and instruments are nice, they look great, and they function well...to a degree. When you buy Pro Tools, all your bases are covered, to begin with. You have a sampler, a rompler, a couple synths, a drum machine, etc. So, if you're a newbie buying into ProTools, you have a complete beginning palette to work with...very good, that's the way it needs to be in the world of marketing a modern DAW.

But, when you want to do any kind of "serious" work...and by serious I mean putting in more than a few hours a week... the AIR plugs are not the place to be.

The first, and painfully obvious thing about them is that they're RTAS only, and connected to Pro Tools. Pro Tools 8 has been really buggy for a lot of people, and Pro Tools in general is at a cross-roads—if they don't figure out how to release a fully native and fully featured product in the next release, they're probably going to lose their entire single-producer/musician user base, and go back to being mainly Pro Studio audio app. I know I keep an up to date version of Cubase, and any time Pro Tools is a limitation or a problem (track count, lack of off-line bounce, etc.) I go back to working in Cubase. So I CAN'T invest much money, or more importantly TIME, with plug-ins or instruments that are RTAS only. If you look on the PT forums, you'll see that an amazing amount of PTLE users are also running Reaper along-side PT, or have even migrated to Reaper.

The second thing is, once you really examine an AIR plug, and you do a little research, you can usually find something that's much better that does the same thing. So, I start fooling around with PT's Boom drum machine...and thought it was pretty cool. I liked the pattern triggering. But, as soon as I go to use it in a mix, I find that it doesn't have separate outs...stereo out only. so, I could bounce to audio (insane), but, PT doesn't even have offline bounce...grr. So I started looking around, found Guru, tried the demo, and realized Guru is about 20 times as powerful as Boom, and actually easier and faster to use! I imagine it would be somewhat the same thing comparing Transfuser to Guru—I'll bet Guru does it better, though I haven't actually tried Transfuser.

Another example is The PT "Hybrid" synth. Really neat piece. I love the sequencers that you can assign to modulate filters, panning, and all sorts of note properties. Problem was, when I tried to use it in a mix, just to find a bass sound that I liked, none of the sounds really held up. Nothing really seemed solid. So ... I started looking around and found Alchemy. Who-hoo, now I see where Hybrid may have gotten some its feature set from. Only Alchemy is 20 times as powerful as Hybrid, AND sounds great, AND is multi-format--VST, AU, RTAS. So Why would I waste my time with Hybrid? Synths take a lot of time to learn to use well. I've gotta spend my time wisely.

So I wouldn't worry about what Digi, or AIR does. In fact, Fxpansion just sold Guru to me because Digi included Boom in PT8 :)

Return to “GURU”