Honest feelings... - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Honest feelings...

Support for GURU

Moderators: Drew_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

bobbybland

Honest feelings...

Postby bobbybland » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:32 am

I tried an experiment this week,and let my friend borrow my mpc , I wanted to see if I could handle being without it.. I've had nothing but sound forge and recycle to work with + guru (latest versions) Anyhow to make a long story short,I cannot take it! I gotta get my mpc back as working with software only has alot of limitations when it comes to finding/chopping samples in which most cases inspires me to get in the mood to play keys( motif xs + my guitar bass+acoustic).

This is just my thoughts, as I've been wanting to hear something positive in a future release,like maybe if guru had a sampler, it would eliminate the need for a sound forge + recycle in my case ymmv..

There are some benefits to guru in the box though and this is why I can potentially see myself eventually there totally.My fav's are multiple instances,routing of efx inside daw(cubase 4) but the things that keep guru lacking are it's organic limitations.. It can't sample so it doesn't allow one to say fire up some vinyl/OR PLAY A MEDIA PLAYER and str-8 away sample,unless you load up sound forge etc.. This alot of times hinders my creativity as I'm always thinking technically and not as musical,with the mpc I'm alot better and more creative thus far,I do want that to change into the latter with guru being the in the box king.

I really hope fxpansion brings a performers tool next time,and I hope it's soon.. Hey these are just my honest feelings,and I hope no one takes it tOO personal,I really hope this can spark a dev's desire to please the users like I when working with samples. :wink:

CharlyBunk

Postby CharlyBunk » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:22 am

Hello,

I work with Guru. I make breakbeat and hip hop production. You can make sample easily.

Just switch on your turntable to your sound card and rec that in your DAW.

You've got your sample !!!

Sorry for my english.

bobbybland

Postby bobbybland » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:38 pm

Hi,
I hear what your saying,but that's not the same.Recording in DAW doesn't exactly solve the puzzle.AS you first have to open the DAW,enable tracks for input ,then after you record from vinyl you still have to bounce down the file to wave as Guru will not be able to drag n drop from within your DAW,and then after you bounce the recorded file you will next you will have to load it into Guru.Do you see what I'm getting at here? Thanks for replying though, I am looking for a better way a more practical way of realtime sampling,I have tried everything, when Guru can sample itself then we will be back in business! Until then I got my ASR and Mpc back,but these are limited in their own way as well as they cannot perform like Guru can in the box!

this close to having the perfect workflow. 8)

DayDrumFour

Postby DayDrumFour » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:07 am

Valid points Bob, the hardware vs. software debate rages on.

It's not a diss on Fxpansion. It's not praise on Akai. If you are used to doing things a certain way, why change it.

Guru is a drum machine program, meant to run inside a host program, alongside other vsti programs, all inside your computer. With it's well maintained operating system of course. You have infinite storage, unlimited sound library, and incredible editing capabilities.

Then you have an MPC with a Motif.....

bobbybland

Postby bobbybland » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:08 am

Indeed m8, sometimes I check the studios that are running with a laptop and monitors, a few softwares inside,and I think
damn I'd like to be that mobile.. :wink: I hear you on it being a drum machine first and foremost.I can imagine a day though when I could be listening to my itunes songs and say oops let me catch that part right there, with a sampler on guru, this would be amazing right? No sound forge to load up,no mpc to load up.. hehe I appreciate your response... 8)

CharlyBunk

Postby CharlyBunk » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:41 am

Ok making a sample can take a little more time than MPC but after you work faster than it.
With a large screen...

bobbybland

Postby bobbybland » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:40 pm

Thanks for the responses..

jpcaulfield

Postby jpcaulfield » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:33 pm

with Live 7 ... you can sample on the fly , warp the sample to match playing bpm (or even tap live to match the incoming sample) and then chop it and have it mapped to midi on a corresponding channel with separate instances of simpler so that you can tweak all filter , pitch parameters etc .. maybe try this .. no need for sound forge etc .. and it's non destructive ;-)

Return to “GURU”