Sync problems Ableton and DSP cards - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Sync problems Ableton and DSP cards

Support for GURU

Moderators: Drew_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

funkazoid

Sync problems Ableton and DSP cards

Postby funkazoid » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:57 pm

Hi There,

I'm having sync issues using Guru as plugin within Ableton if I monitor the midi channel in.
I'm using GURUs sequencer, so I can play the MPD24 and record it within GURU, as soon as I
put a VST plug in which runs on a DSP card ( I have both powercore as UAD) GURU is out of sync.

When I put monitor on auto or off, GURU is in sync again, however, then I'm not able to record what I'm doing
on the MPD 24

If I run native plugins I seem not to have this issue.

Also when I remove the UAD or Powercore plugin, the issue remains the excist.

Is this a known issue?

Jojo

PrimoChris

Postby PrimoChris » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:55 am

It´s a question of PDC. (Plugin-delay-compensation)
UAD and PoCo are known to introduce massive latency. If you use them on the GURU channel in Input-monitoring-mode these effects delay your signal. I don´t know Live´s PDC model, but I suspect it´s not possible to use them with live-triggered instruments.

funkazoid

Postby funkazoid » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:55 am

Thanks for your reply.

Ok, so this is more related to Ableton's delay compensation then to GURU right?

PrimoChris

Postby PrimoChris » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:13 am

I think it´s an systematic problem.
Take the PoCo for example:
If you want to use say a reverb, the signal needs to be send out, processed and then send back to your DAW. Even if the plugin reports correct delaytimes (needed for processing and transmission) Live´s PDC delays all other signals, so that they are in sync again. This is the only way it works with live triggered instruments. On the other hand recorded data can be played slightly ahead of it´s position in the grid to compensate for the plugin´s delay, think of it how should Live (or your DSP) know which sound you are to trigger? It can´t and therefor waits for your trigger impulse.

Maybe I´m totally off, but this is how I understand PDC.

Cheers
Chris

Return to “GURU”