Is imitation a form of flattery? Ask MOTU and NI - Page 3 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Is imitation a form of flattery? Ask MOTU and NI

Support for GURU

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, john emrich, mullynofx, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Moderators

J.Daniels

Postby J.Daniels » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:51 pm

im always gonna support guru, but im actually really excited to see softsampler's that actually sample to be coming out!!

and ive been hoping for that feature in guru for ages. and i am thinking of maybe picking up the maschine for that, just because ive never liked recording samples in other apps(laziness i know). i just seems more "all in one".

jbrown3

Postby jbrown3 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:01 am

J.Daniels wrote:im always gonna support guru, but im actually really excited to see softsampler's that actually sample to be coming out!!

and ive been hoping for that feature in guru for ages. and i am thinking of maybe picking up the maschine for that, just because ive never liked recording samples in other apps(laziness i know). i just seems more "all in one".

Angus turned me on to Devine Machine's One Shot Recorder. He told me you can drag and drop OneShot's samples straight to the GURU pads. It's only $85 USD, and you would still be supporting Fxpansion since Devine Machine helped to develope GURU.

beubbo

Postby beubbo » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:58 am

Madness wrote:Man...the MOTU one looks the business!!!!

If you can click that Browser and it slides back in behind the Plug...that'd be sweet and GURU should steal that idea back...(fair is fair)

+1 to Madness post.

Browser needs definitely some smart lifting & at least the option to reflect/refresh each sample's path when a pad is selected instead of the actual hassle of having to go through contextual menu, get & memorize info path, navigate to the sample's source folder and doing it all over again after each time you load a new sample from another path in an empty pad and decide to come back to a previously loaded pad to replace the current sample with another related sample from the sample's source folder choosed in the first place (clic, clic, clic, clic... & clic ! Phew, that would save a lot of clics per session, wouldn't it ?)

GURU 2 (maybe even v1.7...) should get rid of the 8 layers limitation as the competition did it elegantly (128 layers... no more, no less) or at "the very" least double its actual number to an "impressive" count of 16 layers... kidding ;)

There should be more insert effects per pad, something like 4 effects should be a good starting point (as processing power is less of a concern these days with actual multi cores computers).

The option to get more patterns per engine would be great too (at least 48 patterns), especially for those who don't need the live feature to launch them via midi keyboard within 2 octaves (like in studio scenario).

And definitely Song Chain mode with more Scenes too (double count...).

Thanks very much in advance.
B
Last edited by beubbo on Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:03 am, edited 5 times in total.

jamester

Postby jamester » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:26 pm

+1 to Beubbo's post above...basically everything I'm wishing for Guru2 (with the addition of a proper start cursor for pattern editing).

EATYone

Postby EATYone » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:50 pm

Angus_FX wrote:except on the beta programme or other places where NDA's apply. Openness is great, but not when it puts us at a competitive disadvantage :evil: :evil:

agree with you, that's sad but we need NDA for all sort of ideas nowdays... :cry:

Gridden

Postby Gridden » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:59 am

beubbo wrote:
Madness wrote:Man...the MOTU one looks the business!!!!

If you can click that Browser and it slides back in behind the Plug...that'd be sweet and GURU should steal that idea back...(fair is fair)

+1 to Madness post.

Browser needs definitely some smart lifting & at least the option to reflect/refresh each sample's path when a pad is selected instead of the actual hassle of having to go through contextual menu, get & memorize info path, navigate to the sample's source folder and doing it all over again after each time you load a new sample from another path in an empty pad and decide to come back to a previously loaded pad to replace the current sample with another related sample from the sample's source folder choosed in the first place (clic, clic, clic, clic... & clic ! Phew, that would save a lot of clics per session, wouldn't it ?)

GURU 2 (maybe even v1.7...) should get rid of the 8 layers limitation as the competition did it elegantly (128 layers... no more, no less) or at "the very" least double its actual number to an "impressive" count of 16 layers... kidding ;)

There should be more insert effects per pad, something like 4 effects should be a good starting point (as processing power is less of a concern these days with actual multi cores computers).

The option to get more patterns per engine would be great too (at least 48 patterns), especially for those who don't need the live feature to launch them via midi keyboard within 2 octaves (like in studio scenario).

And definitely Song Chain mode with more Scenes too (double count...).

Thanks very much in advance.
B

With a big +1 to Song Chain Mode, been waiting forever for this. Have FXpansion decided whether it's ever going to happen?

Copy and paste functions should be seriously sorted out especially apropos the touted 16 pages per pattern scenario - deciding that you want to change the hihats - copy and pasting from page 1 to the the other 15 pages will *not*, especially as there's no "overwrite" function, it pastes and includes the current data.

Ditto the editing ie making a minor adjustment to page 14 and then having to sit through pages 1-13 before deciding that the edit wasn't what you needed so...sit through pages 1-13 again etc etc etc.

It's simple stuff like this, not the lackluster FX or layer limitations that makes GURU somewhat of a frustratingly love/hate experience for me and obviously Native Instruments/MOTU and, most suprising of all, Digidesign with Transfuser have just highlighted that it needs some serious updating.

bobbybland

Postby bobbybland » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:20 am

The cats out of the bag now, yes there's competition now oh well,FxPansions had it pretty much gravy train too long now for the beatbox's , ANYHOW how about some idea's on whats actually going to make it in Guru2 now?

:shock:
Last edited by bobbybland on Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

bobbybland

Postby bobbybland » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:23 am

By the way I really hope AKAI makes something like NI's idea.. Is that too much copycatting?? Who gives a sh-t really as long as they make a better product.

That would be zero latency hardware with digital connections via a vsti
!!!

Maybe Guru and Akai should merge?? :wink:

Then Roland with toontrack.. I luv it :D

Oh I forgot JJ from Akai mpc 1000/2500 OS's is about to make a sequencer too.. LOL

http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php ... 9f20670fe0

Some hardware cats can't believe their beloved JJ is going software too.. I luv it..

By the way he updates like every week.. haha
His might just be the one!! My Mpc is turning into a controller!!!!

:lol: :lol:

jbrown3

Postby jbrown3 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:54 am

jbrown3 wrote:
J.Daniels wrote:im always gonna support guru, but im actually really excited to see softsampler's that actually sample to be coming out!!

Angus turned me on to Devine Machine's One Shot Recorder. He told me you can drag and drop OneShot's samples straight to the GURU pads. It's only $85 USD, and you would still be supporting Fxpansion since Devine Machine helped to develope GURU.

:x

Everyone. I retract what I said about using OneShot Recorder to drag and drop onto GURU. This simply does not work. I have not received feedback yet from Devine Machine about it. But for the meantime, if you guys are hard up for sampling capability in one application, MOTU BPM is currently the only one that can do this, all in one applications.

I've even tried using Imagine-Line Edison in junction with GURU in Sonar. But you have to manually drag and drop each sample slice one by one onto each pad. It's better than nothing, but still more tedious that I would have expected if you have gobs on samples/kits you want to chop up. In all fairness, MOTU's BPM doesn't let you drag and drop multiple slices to its pads either. From the youtube videos by one guy, he samples into BPM. And then you can manually highlight slices and then drag each slice to each perspective pad. OSR would have been the way to go, but maybe not until version 2.0

jbrown3

Postby jbrown3 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:07 pm

jbrown3 wrote:
jbrown3 wrote:

:x

Everyone. I retract what I said about using OneShot Recorder to drag and drop onto GURU. This simply does not work. I have not received feedback yet from Devine Machine about it. But for the meantime, if you guys are hard up for sampling capability in one application, MOTU BPM is currently the only one that can do this, all in one applications.

I've even tried using Imagine-Line Edison in junction with GURU in Sonar. But you have to manually drag and drop each sample slice one by one onto each pad. It's better than nothing, but still more tedious that I would have expected if you have gobs on samples/kits you want to chop up. In all fairness, MOTU's BPM doesn't let you drag and drop multiple slices to its pads either. From the youtube videos by one guy, he samples into BPM. And then you can manually highlight slices and then drag each slice to each perspective pad. OSR would have been the way to go, but maybe not until version 2.0

A revision is at hand. Devine Machine notified me that I had an older version. They are going to send me a newer version that does have drag and drop capability to GURU, so this is still a viable option to bring sampled data into GURU. Screw BPM!!

mayur_FX

Postby mayur_FX » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:12 pm

jbrown3 wrote:I've even tried using Imagine-Line Edison in junction with GURU in Sonar. But you have to manually drag and drop each sample slice one by one onto each pad. It's better than nothing, but still more tedious that I would have expected if you have gobs on samples/kits you want to chop up.

I'm curious why you would want to drag more than 1 sample at a time, and how you imagine it working? Is it to drag multiple sounds to a single pad as layers?

Thanks for your support by the way... you definitely won't be disappointed by future events, but as Angus has said many times already, we can't divulge anything due to the blatant plagiarism going on..
Mayur Maha
FXpansion Audio [http://www.fxpansion.com]
Please do not PM me - use the support ticket system instead

jbrown3

Postby jbrown3 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:00 am

mayur_FX wrote:
jbrown3 wrote:I've even tried using Imagine-Line Edison in junction with GURU in Sonar. But you have to manually drag and drop each sample slice one by one onto each pad. It's better than nothing, but still more tedious that I would have expected if you have gobs on samples/kits you want to chop up.

I'm curious why you would want to drag more than 1 sample at a time, and how you imagine it working? Is it to drag multiple sounds to a single pad as layers?

Thanks for your support by the way... you definitely won't be disappointed by future events, but as Angus has said many times already, we can't divulge anything due to the blatant plagiarism going on..

No, not layers. What I mean by dragging and dropping more than 1 sample at a time is as follows. Essentially, if an application (for example IL Edison, or OSR has 16 regions/markers/slices defined for a chopped sample, then the user should be able to select all 16 slices at one time, and drag them over to pad 1 of GURU. BUT, then GURU should be smart enough to know to then span all 16 samples across all 16 pads. DR-008 did this and so does NI Battery. You basically highlight more than one wav file and then drag them to one PAD and the application fans them out. That's all I meant. It's way more productive doing this than dragging each sample one by one to a different pad (or essentially 16 different highlight, drag, drop slice 1 to pad 1, highlight drag drop slice 2 to pad 2, ...... highlight drag drop slice 16 to pad 16

I know we won't be disappointed. That's why I will be here when the ball drops. And yes, I agree on the silence issue. That's why I now only put new innovative ideas/input in the BETA area now. Anyhow, keep up the good work. And as always, thanks for chiming in on the forums to listen to our ideas.

Best regards,
JAB

three_eyed_otter

Postby three_eyed_otter » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:22 am

http://www.mvnation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=12926&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=50

A review from an initial-release-BPM user...Just scroll down to the 3rd post.

have a good one
3Eo

bobbybland

Postby bobbybland » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:33 pm

I have mentioned this before,you guys at FxPansion should take a look @ JJOS for mpc 1000/2500 he is a musician obviously and a coder at the same time,he knows his shit!!
His workflow on these machines are incredible.
One thing I can tell you,is this when you make your first slice on his latest OS 2XL it can then be used to trigger pad 1,next slice trigger pad 2 and so on in Program mode.. Ever so quickly,so as soon as you chop you can easily map and edit/trim etc. Editing is again effortless and this is hardware,shouldn't software be even better?Well we'll see as he is now going to create a software sequencer too,I can only imagine what his workflow will be like when he is not resticted to a simple hardware machine vs. the cpu power you guys have had to use.

I hope you guys can figure it out,it's much more simple then it seems,but first check the OS!! He knows his shit!! :lol: :wink:
PLEASE get it study it,and apply some of the same basic workflow (fast as lighting techniques to Guru 2) it would be much appreciated around here.. :wink:

Return to “GURU”