Drag midi FROM host to GURU pattern? - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Drag midi FROM host to GURU pattern?

Support for GURU

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

petermarchione

Drag midi FROM host to GURU pattern?

Postby petermarchione » Tue May 12, 2009 9:07 am

Is it possible to drag a midi clip from e.g. Cubase 5 to a pattern in GURU for treatment? It is great that you can drag and drop pattern into Cubase arrange but to be able to drag clips in the other direction would be a killer!

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Tue May 12, 2009 10:14 am

Yes, drag from Cubase on to GURU's pattern-pads.
-- Angus F. Hewlett - CEO - FXpansion --
Twitter | YouTube
Synth Squad | BFD Eco

red37

Postby red37 » Tue May 12, 2009 10:45 am

This feature Is not happening at my end...

"Can someone help.

When i was demo'ing the previous version, i used to be able to both drag AND drop midi files to and from the pattern pads all the time. Has this function changed in 1.6? If so, how do i go about it. I was able to create simple midi files elsewhere with 1.5 (using for example) Microtonic - exporting its midi pattern, then importing that into GURU. It worked seamlessly then....something changed since?"

Many thanks

Iam becoming disillusioned with GURU by the day. Ive yet to pen anything worthy of its potential, due to irritating quirks which seem to have evolved into 1.6. First DR-008 and its discontinued support...now GURU its out of date manual. And despite Angus, you telling me to just come in here and ask...well all i really want is a clear and comprehensive update to the manual which covers the bases on these new features, not really much to ask. I asked about the feature Midi drag and drop to the pads already on the forum (thats not even a new feature, but its not working at my end (in SONAR) - no comment was made. I jumped on the FXpansion wagon twice now, and i was anticipating working extensively in GURU after enjoying the merits of DR-008 - then i hear there is a planned GURU 2 on its way some time...great! Currently my workaround is Rewiring Redrum from Reason into Sonar 8. Not ideal, but is doable.

I can only hope GURU 2 is a vast improvement over 1.6 (which IS after all in beta phase, i realise that) - but no addendum to the manual is disappointing. Im having a hard time recommending this over other alternatives at the moment. Sorry to say..

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Tue May 12, 2009 10:52 am

We have one guy that writes manuals. He just finished a many months long effort writing the manual for Synth Squad, and is now on a very, very well deserved three week vacation. Is it really THAT hard? :?

I just tested the pattern drag+drop thing here on 1.6.12, Windows, standalone. It's definitely working as advertised here, however, it's pretty common for hosts to get bugs that break their drag + drop from time to time, perhaps it's a Cubase thing? Have you tried dragging straight from Explorer/Finder to the GURU pattern-pads.

Twitter | YouTube

Synth Squad | BFD Eco

petermarchione

Postby petermarchione » Tue May 12, 2009 11:12 am

Angus_FX:

Tried it yeasterday and nothing happens. I fear that this might be some odd thing within Cubase 5 since it has some odd behaviour regarding drag n drop to other places aswell - including desktop! I'll try with Ableton tonight.

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Tue May 12, 2009 11:14 am

If it won't drag to the desktop, it won't drag to GURU.. GURU is clever but it doesn't have magic powers.

Twitter | YouTube

Synth Squad | BFD Eco

petermarchione

Postby petermarchione » Tue May 12, 2009 12:34 pm

OK, thanks, I guess I'd better start harassing Steinberg right away then :)

red37

Postby red37 » Tue May 12, 2009 1:43 pm

Im on SONAR 8 PE. It neither works there nor in standalone. Something is not right here anyway, oh well. Thanks for the response.

This was not an issue (for me) with 1.5 though.... :roll:

red37

Postby red37 » Tue May 12, 2009 1:57 pm

Btw. Iam not talking about internal loading/dragging of midi files/patterns within GURU. Nor exporting them to SONAR - Those functions all work fine. Its the external importing thats not functioning. I simply cannot get GURU to accept midi patterns created elsewhere to load/drop into the pattern pads.

Beforehand it used to do this all day long.

bobbybland

Postby bobbybland » Tue May 12, 2009 3:10 pm

Angus,just out of curiosity,which DAW do you prefer to use in your productions,or which one have you found works best with Guru or supports this request? thanks..

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Tue May 12, 2009 9:34 pm

red37 - are those MIDI files a different Type or on a different MIDI Channel than the ones you tried before..?

bobby - productions? with a company to run, code to write, and a 7 month old baby to look after? :roll:

On the rare occasions that I do.. I have a bit of an unusual approach, I like a clear separation between recording/editing activity (Pro Tools 7.4, not super-keen on v8.0 ) and noodly, loopy, algorithmic-y stuff (Bidule, GURU, a small Analogue Systems modular, real instruments various other bits and bobs). Never bloody finish anything, of course, just noodle about and make odd noises :idea:

Other than that, I like the design of Logic 8 and Live, as well as Presonus' new Studio One. I've used Cubase and Sonar plenty of times over the years, but neither really floats my boat at this point. Cubase has way too many windows and just seems fiddly somehow.

Twitter | YouTube

Synth Squad | BFD Eco

bobbybland

Postby bobbybland » Wed May 13, 2009 12:28 am

You deserve a break :wink: After G2 ..just kidding :lol: Seriously though,much appreciated.. That workflow you have seems interesting..Get some well deserved rest man.

jamester

Postby jamester » Wed May 13, 2009 4:33 am

Hey Angus, very cool sharing that, cheers! :)

red37

Postby red37 » Wed May 13, 2009 12:55 pm

Angus_FX wrote:red37 - are those MIDI files a different Type or on a different MIDI Channel than the ones you tried before..?

Angus.

I just did a simple test to confirm this.

Opened GURU - loaded AA WZ 808 Clean 3 kit and a simple pattern, 'Breakin in Shoreditch' G24. I was able to drag from the 1st pattern pad to the desktop and created the file attatched: 'Pattern_0 mid' (332kb). (not sure if the file has loaded here, but regardless - it wont reload into GURU).

Then i cleared GURU of all kits/patterns, reloaded the aforementioned 808 kit and went to drag the Pattern_0 mid BACK onto GURU's GUI/Pads section - and nothing.

The pattern/midi file (nor any others created either type 0/type 1) Or for that matter even those generated by GURU itself, such as the experiment above - are being accepted. Like i said i can export/internally load but cannot Import, either from my samples folder or standard GURU generated midi files outside of the application from anywhere: Desktop/C:drive/My docs etc...

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Wed May 13, 2009 3:42 pm

That's very strange. I take it you're running WinXP?

Can you check in Options/Misc if Enable Pad & Pattern drag/drop/swap/copy is switched on..?

Twitter | YouTube

Synth Squad | BFD Eco

Return to “GURU”