How can I export Guru Grooves to use in Logic - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

How can I export Guru Grooves to use in Logic

Support for GURU

Moderators: Drew_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

fresh27

How can I export Guru Grooves to use in Logic

Postby fresh27 » Fri May 15, 2009 9:24 pm

Hi,

I've seen a video of Funkagenda using the guru grroves in Logic. I was just wondering how to go about installing/exporting them into Logic?

Thanks for any help.

djrisc

Postby djrisc » Mon May 18, 2009 4:31 am

Here is how I created Logic Groove Templates from Guru:

1. Open GURU and write in a solid line of 1/16 hits on any pad for 32 steps.
2. Select the Groove setting in GURU that you want, with the desired amount.
3. Drag the current pattern button in to Logic to import the MIDI data for that pattern in to Logics arrange window.
(If you open this up in the piano roll you should see the desired swing in each 16th note.)
4. Name the MIDI region in Logic the name you want the Groove setting. (IE. "GURU - Loose Swing - 50%")
5. In Logic, go to Options, Groove Templates, Make Groove Template.

Presto, you now have a Groove Template in Logic that matches up with GURU.

** IMPORTANT NOTE **

If you want the Groove Template to stay in your project, you *MUST* keep the MIDI file you imported somewhere in the project. If you delete it, it will remove the Groove Template from Logic.

Suggested usage would be to make a standard Production Template in Logic with all your groove settings predefined. Then place all the MIDI for your groove settings on a MIDI track and simply use Logic's Hide feature in the arrange window to hide that channel forever. This keeps those MIDI regions out of your way while producing, but your groove settings are always there when you need them.

One feature request I would like to make of GURU is to show in the Master display the % of groove applied based on where the knob is. This would make it considerably easier to match up Logic's Groove Templates with GURU's settings once created. (Maybe there is a way to display this in GURU and I just don't know about it?)

Anyhow, enjoy!

Brett

fresh27

Postby fresh27 » Mon May 18, 2009 5:07 pm

wow.

Thanks mate

great first post.. Helps me out a lot. cheers

djrisc

Postby djrisc » Mon May 18, 2009 9:55 pm

One feature request I would like to make of GURU is to show in the Master display the % of groove applied based on where the knob is. This would make it considerably easier to match up Logic's Groove Templates with GURU's settings once created. (Maybe there is a way to display this in GURU and I just don't know about it?)

BTW, If you go to "View" at the top of the plugin window in Logic, Guru supports showing all the parameters as sliders in Logic. You can use the alternate view to set the groove setting exactly to the value you want to dial in your groove settings to.

It would however still be nice to have it on GURU's master display.

Glad I could be of some help!

Brett

davidrichards1983

Postby davidrichards1983 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:35 am

Hi,

I have created a groove template from a midi file (exported from FX pansion Guru). This shows up in the quantise list, but my patterns don't seem to quantise at all. Can anyone help on this? I had got this to work before, but it is failing at the mo. The only thing I can think that I have changed is the note length (shortened)... would this make a difference?

Cheers....

(Am on logic 8 btw)

ICN

Postby ICN » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:54 pm

djrisc wrote:

BTW, If you go to "View" at the top of the plugin window in Logic, Guru supports showing all the parameters as sliders in Logic. You can use the alternate view to set the groove setting exactly to the value you want to dial in your groove settings to.

It would however still be nice to have it on GURU's master display.

Glad I could be of some help!

Brett

Go to Options / Misc / Enable tool tips - Et voilà!! :D

Enjoy!

Return to “GURU”