Anyone using Maschine to control Guru? - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Anyone using Maschine to control Guru?

Support for GURU

Moderators: Drew_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

db120
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:55 am

Anyone using Maschine to control Guru?

Postby db120 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:13 pm

If so, how are you liking it?

Klemperer
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:49 am

Postby Klemperer » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:09 am

That might sound a bit stupid to you, but owning Guru I thought I'd never need "Maschine". I am no developer wizard or someone who knows all about why companies release this or that, but as I heard from Maschine, I thought, "hey, they are going to, err, copy Guru in a way".

RedSpark
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:11 pm

Postby RedSpark » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:06 am

I have Maschine - I love it, it's good fun. There's a template to control Guru that ships with it which is very detailed. Some tracks I use just Maschine for the drums, sometimes I use just Guru. Sometimes I use Guru and Battery with Maschine acting solely as a midi controller, something which it really excels at. I don't like to limit myself to just 1 way of working or making tracks which is why I also use Live LE as well as FL Studio and Reason sometimes too. In fact, I have a copy of Cubase LE that shipped with some kit so I may see if I can get a different sound using that too. I can't see Maschine completely replacing Guru for me (especially if a v2 ever appears) but it's nice to have both.

db120
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:55 am

Postby db120 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:02 am

I should have updated this. I bought Maschine and am really digging not looking at the computer when laying down tracks. I haven't tried using it with Guru because I literally can't see the browser. 8)

User avatar
jkswopes
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 8:39 pm
Contact:

Postby jkswopes » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:19 pm

I have maschine, love it as well. The template to control GURU is superb, I really like that too.

I was surprised it worked so well....good stuff, and it's a good controller for GURU.
SoundsAndGear.com - music production news, tips, gear, reviews, and videos

jbrown3
Posts: 224
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:45 pm

Postby jbrown3 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:51 pm

db120 wrote:I should have updated this. I bought Maschine and am really digging not looking at the computer when laying down tracks. I haven't tried using it with Guru because I literally can't see the browser. 8)


I've been trying to hold off on going another route in anticipation of Guru 2. But after waiting for even just a manual for Guru 1.6, better yet a new update, I wanted to get someone's opinion that already has Maschine. Is it worth the purchase? Or should I just stick with my MPD24 and Guru and wait for 2.0. I mean, Guitar Center has it for $509.99 on sale this month.

In my mind, I've been justifying why I need it, since I have GURU. So far, here is what sets in my mind.

1. I like the fact that you lay down tracks without using the computer screen.
2. The lastest 1.5 version lets you import MPC programs.
3. I can sample straight into it (externally or internally)
4. I here the stock kits are off the chain.
5. Should I need to control GURU for previously stored gru based projects, Maschine can control it.
6. There is a host of online tutorials, videos, and examples on how to use it efficiently.

More final questions.

1) If I get Maschine, like you. Should I trade in my MPD24 or keep it? Is there any reason to keep it? Are the Maschine pads as nice and responsive as the MPD24? Will I miss the 8 control knobs and 8 sliders?

2) GURU has 16 lanes per pattern window? How many does Maschine have?

3) Can you use Maschine's sequencer and midi out to successfully control Kontakt instruments. I have not been that successful doing that with GURU.

4) Can Maschine's midi pads be assigned to any midi note? GURU is hard wired to specific midi notes for each pad and cannot be re-assigned. I need more flexibility to be able to map any of 70+ sample keys to any pad I chose.

5) Can the Battery, and Kore drum kits being imported/loaded and banged out in Maschine?

6) How many banks are on Maschine? Does each bank have it's own sequencer like GURU?

7) Can you save kits without re-copying the samples in a bundled file (just point to them like GURU can?)

8) Is the chopping/slicing in Maschine easier/better or comparable to GURU?

9) How can one benefit from use GURU and Maschine simulaneously in a DAW, or is that just a waste of time?

10) How has GURU's role changed in your creative workflow, since you started using Maschine?


Thanks in advance for your response. :D

STRATEGY
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:30 pm

Postby STRATEGY » Mon May 17, 2010 2:46 am

Klemperer wrote:That might sound a bit stupid to you, but owning Guru I thought I'd never need "Maschine". I am no developer wizard or someone who knows all about why companies release this or that, but as I heard from Maschine, I thought, "hey, they are going to, err, copy Guru in a way".


I would say they "copied" them pretty well, I just bought Maschine yesterday and I'm ready to sell me MPD24 + Guru.

Hopefully I can get $250 for the bundle and will pay for half of Maschine.

At the end of the day, it's all about workflow and Maschine has everyone beat at this.

STRATEGY

jbrown3
Posts: 224
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:45 pm

Postby jbrown3 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:51 am

jkswopes wrote:I have maschine, love it as well. The template to control GURU is superb, I really like that too.

I was surprised it worked so well....good stuff, and it's a good controller for GURU.


I have Maschine too (3 weeks now). I too love it. But I still love my GURU as well. I failed to see this comment from you prior to my posting made earlier. That is HUGE that there is a template for controlling GURU!!! :D I can really do damage with Maschine and GURU!!!

I am tapping the beginning of Maschine, but to be honest, so far, there is not too much that makes me leave GURU completely. However, the sequencer, scene composing, sampling, browser, tagging capability, and akai importing make it a very very very hard competitor to GURU and the MPC. But overall, it's about how people like to work. I think any beat-miester with both can eat anyone's lunch. Maschine's workflow is very well thought out. But GURU excells in it's stealthyness and low CPU usage. Notice I didn't even mention BPM. If I ever stoop that low to buy that, it's just to rip it's samples out and shove them into Maschine and GURU.

So for all that read this, get both if you can afford it! :D :D :D :D I will be digging out that GURU template now!!!!!

jbrown3
Posts: 224
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:45 pm

Postby jbrown3 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:54 am

STRATEGY wrote:
Klemperer wrote:That might sound a bit stupid to you, but owning Guru I thought I'd never need "Maschine". I am no developer wizard or someone who knows all about why companies release this or that, but as I heard from Maschine, I thought, "hey, they are going to, err, copy Guru in a way".


I would say they "copied" them pretty well, I just bought Maschine yesterday and I'm ready to sell me MPD24 + Guru.

Hopefully I can get $250 for the bundle and will pay for half of Maschine.

At the end of the day, it's all about workflow and Maschine has everyone beat at this.

STRATEGY


If the Maschine controller works well with the GURU template, then I would suggest just selling the MPD24. It's going to be hard to sell though. Guitar Center would not even give me anything for mine. Probably because the MPD32 is out. Mine is literally collecting dust in a corner of my studio at the moment.


Return to “GURU”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests