Is MIDI learn ever coming back to GURU? - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Is MIDI learn ever coming back to GURU?

Support for GURU

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

powerbeat1

Is MIDI learn ever coming back to GURU?

Postby powerbeat1 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:32 am

I hope so. Can't seem to get MIDI implementation to work beyond Engine 1???? Does it affect other software that share the same controller?

sec_9

Postby sec_9 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:15 am

What controller are you using?

What DAW are you using?

You will most probably need to put a midi filter in the midi signal chain. The majority of Guru's controls lay on midi channel 11,12 &13

RedSpark

Postby RedSpark » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:15 am

I have a similar problem controlling Battery. I like to use Battery's sample/cell library and fx which are very good but Guru sends the same note numbers out on every engine and I can't figure out a way to change that, so the 16 pads of engines 2 – 8 trigger the same cell in Battery's matrix as engine 1. I thought channel 10 was the general drum map split across the 8 engines but I find Guru's midi impementation very confusing as it's so vast. I changed Battery's channel from omni to 1 thru to 16 and no difference. I tried using Midi-ox and Midi-yoke but that just seemed to complicate matters further. Shame really, because Guru is the nuts for sequencing and I love it, just wish I could combine it better with Battery. This is thru FL which is my main daw and the issue could well be with FL which only lets you specify a port number, and not a midi channel in the receiving vst.

powerbeat1

Postby powerbeat1 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:34 am

I'm using M-Audio Axiom 25 on Pro Tools 7.4 cs2.... some things work great, like the 'scenes' for example. I just wish I could easily assign a parameter on the fly without worrying about the MIDI channel repercussions. PT8 has improved MIDI, but once everything is working I fear an upgrade.

Rory_FX

Postby Rory_FX » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:51 pm

Redspark - it sounds like FL is doing some re-channelizing of the incoming Guru midi. Ableton Live suffers the same problem. Maybe you can setup separate midi tracks to only listen to a certain channel (eg. 2) and then pass that through to Battery (still on channel 2). This is the workaround for Live, but I'm not familiar with FL so I can't say how you'd go about it.

powerbeat1 - Midi Learn won't come back to Guru, it's too huge a structural change. Unfortunately ProTools does the same midi re-channelizing. It won't pass through all incoming midi channels, instead it forces them to a certain channel (whichever you have selected in the Instrument or IO section). Again you'd need multiple midi or instrument channels, all going to different midi channels in Guru.

Return to “GURU”