groove templates - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

groove templates

Support for GURU

Moderators: Drew_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

Open Labs

groove templates

Postby Open Labs » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:19 pm

hello, could someone explain the MPC groove templates for me? Does MPC50 mean it's at a 50% shuffle, and then 75 is 75%. If so, how does the swing/shuffle knob effect the template.

Thanks in advanced

gareth ej

Postby gareth ej » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:06 am

Hi and hope you are well.

I've just loaded a straight pattern and set the groove template to mpc50 and moved the swing/shuffle pot to full and not much of a difference in what I hear and then set it to mpc75 and from my understanding of what I hear is that when the pot is turned fully to the right on mpc75 that this is a 100% of mpc75% and to the centre position is 50% of mpc75.
At least that's what it sounds like.
Have a great day.

Sincerely,
Gareth

P.S. Maybe you could help me!? Is there a way of linking two sounds like a Closed Hi Hat to cut off a Open Hi Hat or a muted Triangle to cut off an open note on it? :?

Open Labs

Postby Open Labs » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:44 pm

yes, in pad edit tab, in the section where you would select midi note, and output, there is another drop down that defaults with the word none. here you can set a choke for that pad to respond to itself, the group, or the whole engine.

fabianseip@gmail.com

Postby fabianseip@gmail.com » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:33 am

guys, does the groove knob work for you in 1.6.12 ?

There is now only one groove knob left, no groove velocity control anymore - anybody knows why?

and for me the groove knob does not seem to affect recorded stuff at all. when applying groove to recording already, yes, but not once stuff is recorded. the shift graph works, but not the template.

also, how do you guys use "continuous" swing? or do you just use the mpc templates (25, 50 and so on)?

no.land

Postby no.land » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:48 pm

i also tried the mpc 75 groove on a straight 4/4 beat. nothing happened. if i could still use the note repeat feature of my MPD 32, i could give the beat a swing, but the MPDs Note Repeat doesnt work anymore since the 1.5 update. :(
For The Heads!

fabianseip@gmail.com

Postby fabianseip@gmail.com » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:27 am

so this is a bug then?

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:35 am

The groove velocity knob is gone because nobody ever actually made any grooves with velocity info in them, and people ended up getting confused.

no.land, fas1piano have you tried the grooves on a 16th hi hat part? It seems to be working fine here with 1.6.12. Are you sure you have a template loaded?

As to the MPD Note Repeat - that feature is nothing to do with GURU, it's the MPD itself sending repeated notes via MIDI, so I don't think it's possible for a bug in GURU to break that feature. You sure you haven't reconfigured your MPD in some way which disabled it?
-- Angus F. Hewlett - CEO - FXpansion --
Twitter | YouTube
Synth Squad | BFD Eco

no.land

Postby no.land » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:29 am

hi angus,

rechecked the groove templates with the 16th hi hat, and it works fine with that, but just with that.

Note Repeat: My MPD 32 is working fine. I checked with ableton 8.08 both live's drumrack and GURU Vst. The Note Repeat feature sends a clear Midi message to the sequencer, but only as long as ableton's transport function is set on play (The "Master" Play in the top bar) and Ableton's MidiClock is sending Information to external devices.

According to the MPD's manual the Note Repeat feature needs Midi Clock Information to work. To be synchronized with Ableton or GURU i set the MPD's MidiClock to external sync. So i think the problem is that GURU standalone doesn't send any MidiClock information to external devices, or i forgot to check/uncheck a box in the GURU options. Please fix this, i use GURU standalone for live acts and due to cpu resources and absolute stability i don't want to use the Vst.

I love GURU, and i'd love it even more if the window was resizable. ;)
For The Heads!

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:36 am

The groove templates typically only move things around on the off-16th, so if you have a 4-on-the-floor pattern you won't hear anything with most groove templates. That's normal and correct behaviour.

GURU standalone has never sent midi clock.. happy to put that down as a feature req. for the future.
-- Angus F. Hewlett - CEO - FXpansion --

Twitter | YouTube

Synth Squad | BFD Eco

no.land

Postby no.land » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:17 pm

thx
For The Heads!

fabianseip@gmail.com

Postby fabianseip@gmail.com » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:45 pm

Angus_FX wrote:The groove templates typically only move things around on the off-16th

yes, this works ok. didn't know that most groove templates including the swing templates don't affect eighth notes. so it's not a bug.

Madness

Postby Madness » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:15 am

Angus_FX wrote:The groove velocity knob is gone because nobody ever actually made any grooves with velocity info in them, and people ended up getting confused.

No one? As in your internal developers?

I was waiting for you guys to release new templates with velocity information given that you added that feature in. Does BFD not have velocity type groove templates?

Real shame to see you removing features. As a fully featured Drum Box you could do worse than improve the groove features and grove templates for us.

I requested additional Midi groove manipulation and tools like iterative quantise many, many, years ago.

Bit sick of waiting for an update to be honest.

fabianseip@gmail.com

Postby fabianseip@gmail.com » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:25 pm

i have been experimenting with my own grooves that move 8ths notes - works great too. thanks!

Return to “GURU”