please help me not to switch to battery - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

please help me not to switch to battery

Support for GURU

Moderators: Drew_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

erichodge

please help me not to switch to battery

Postby erichodge » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:32 pm

i've been using GURU since it's very first release, and since then have used it in every single project i've worked on (either released or not). i LOVE the software, but in using battery recently, i have found GURU to be lacking things i truly wish for.

some examples of these are:

1. the ability to route EACH sample to a different out.

- i have yet to figure out whether this is possible in GURU, but it doesn't seem so. if not, what is the use of 16 outs?
- this is especially important, for example, when i have a kick section with two crack kicks and two subs. mixing them together in one output just doesn't cut it.

2. the fX

- enough said on the board here about the lacking value of the fx in GURU (despite their existence)

the comparison with battery is a fun one to tally up, and i'm sure it's been done multiple times on this board (so i won't labor through it). in the end, i love GURU and i want to keep using it... it has so many features battery does not that i do not want to use, but lately, for sound quality purposes, i have found myself using GURU only for sparse drum hits rather than a fill kit.

i sincerely hope there is a GURU 2 release soon... and that it contains some major improvements. i am scraping the chalkboard waiting for it. PLEASE!!!

thanks for listening.

long term fXpansion and GURU loyalist,
eric

Drew_fx

Re: please help me not to switch to battery

Postby Drew_fx » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:52 pm

erichodge wrote:i am scraping the chalkboard waiting for it.

Stop that; it's hurting my ears :lol:

SupaSandeep

Postby SupaSandeep » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:45 pm

I have Battery and use it as well, it's got it's pro's but make no mistake it's got it's cons as well... it's easy to overlook them before you've dived into it, but Battery has it's own set of issues/shortcomings.. I have both and like them each in their own respective ways but I don't think I could pick one over the other

dredd i knight

Postby dredd i knight » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:24 am

i have both and find that routing battery through guru gives me the best of both worlds.
i like to manipulate the sounds of my beats and samples in battery then use guru to sequence my patterns.
i too am getting tired of waiting for guru 2 and its frustrating cos they seem to have left it by the wayside. its still the closest thing to an mpc in software, but what with drum racks in ableton, and maschine getting that recent update they're gonna have to pull the stops out....
maybe its too big an ask now they have d.cam out.
i live in hope though; i like fxpansion and think they've been incredibly generous with their guru updates over the years... i've had great value from them and look forward to giving them some more of my money :D

weird.

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:51 am

Look in the top left corner of the Pad Edit screen - there is an output assignment dropdown for the pad/layer there.
-- Angus F. Hewlett - CEO - FXpansion --
Twitter | YouTube
Synth Squad | BFD Eco

jbrown3

Postby jbrown3 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:33 pm

dredd i knight wrote:i have both and find that routing battery through guru gives me the best of both worlds.
i like to manipulate the sounds of my beats and samples in battery then use guru to sequence my patterns.
i too am getting tired of waiting for guru 2 and its frustrating cos they seem to have left it by the wayside. its still the closest thing to an mpc in software, but what with drum racks in ableton, and maschine getting that recent update they're gonna have to pull the stops out....
maybe its too big an ask now they have d.cam out.
i live in hope though; i like fxpansion and think they've been incredibly generous with their guru updates over the years... i've had great value from them and look forward to giving them some more of my money :D

weird.

I feel your thoughts exactly. And with the new BFD nano out, that kind of told me to no longer hold my breathe in waiting for another update soon. So if I could just at least get a COMPLETE manual for GURU 1.6x (since it may be years before we see another version), that would be half of my pain. It's frustrating looking at all of the features, and not knowing how to use them. -- These days, the only thing I use GURU for is as a midi out sequencer to drive other things. I think it is the one thing keeping people from jumping completely to other versions. They don't have sequencers yet. But when they do ---watch out!!!

Anyhow, like you, I have been using GURU since it's first version also (and the dead DR-008 before that). I just wish I could kick the @$$ of the person/people who pissed Angus off enough to push GURU to the bottom of the pile, and always tell us, "It will be ready when it's ready"!!!! Kind of makes us innocent users feel like step children. Anyhow, I will just keep using my version 1.6x standalone that always crashes upon exit ("even after building a new PC -- so it's not the machine") and shut my D@mn mouth.

JAB3

erichodge

Postby erichodge » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:42 am

Angus_FX wrote:

Look in the top left corner of the Pad Edit screen - there is an output assignment dropdown for the pad/layer there.

niiiice. there it is. you always do that Angus... just when i think it's not there, it is!

one question... is delay re Guru 2 due to the fact that it isn't brining as much revenue in as other products? just curious.

thank you for the tip. very much appreciated.

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:48 pm

Not really. Retail pretty much dropped the ball with GURU, but it's still doing extremely well online. It's more a case of /everything/ taking longer, GURU hasn't been bumped down the queue vs. anything else.

BFD Nano is SKoT's baby more-or-less, none of the GURU devs have really had much involvement on that one.

FWIW, the ready-when-it's-ready line is the same for feature updates on ALL our product line. Nothing unique about GURU there.
-- Angus F. Hewlett - CEO - FXpansion --

Twitter | YouTube

Synth Squad | BFD Eco

erichodge

Postby erichodge » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:30 pm

Angus_FX wrote:Not really. Retail pretty much dropped the ball with GURU, but it's still doing extremely well online. It's more a case of /everything/ taking longer, GURU hasn't been bumped down the queue vs. anything else.

BFD Nano is SKoT's baby more-or-less, none of the GURU devs have really had much involvement on that one.

FWIW, the ready-when-it's-ready line is the same for feature updates on ALL our product line. Nothing unique about GURU there.

thanks much Angus. if you need any beta testers for anything, let me know where to sign up.

cheers,
eric

Return to “GURU”