Help me out PLEASE! Midi Mapping with Guru - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Help me out PLEASE! Midi Mapping with Guru

Support for GURU

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Moderators

Jwiering

Help me out PLEASE! Midi Mapping with Guru

Postby Jwiering » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:08 am

Hey everybody :)

I've been using Guru for a while now in Ableton Live 8, but I've never seen to been able to fully use my Behringer BCR2000 midi-controller with it.

When using Ableton Live 7, I could only midi-map and hereby affect the master volumes and the tuning, but I never seemed to get control with my midi-controller over knobs like the aux-buttons, attack, delay, bit-crush lfo-rate etc. etc.

Now when using Abletn Live 8, I have no control at all over the "knobs" in Guru.. There's this buttons in Ableton when looking at the plugin that says "configure", when turning it on (it turns green) it says something like "click any button in your plug-in to add it for control/midi" .. Something like that, but unfortunately no succes :-(

Can somebody please tell me how to get full control over Guru with my BCR2000 midi-controller?

Thanks a lot :D !

fabianseip@gmail.com

Postby fabianseip@gmail.com » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:22 pm

in the manual there is an explanation of parameter and midi automation. you need to put parameters into color groups and automate those.

Rory_FX

Postby Rory_FX » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:19 am

The color groups are for host automation. For midi automation you need to refer to the Guru 1.5 Midi Implementation document (available from Downloads) and make a a preset for your BCR2000. The midi implementation is fixed now, but is much more comprehensive.

fabianseip@gmail.com

Postby fabianseip@gmail.com » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:13 am

keep in mind that if you want use the host's midi learn feature, the host will access the host automation parameters for that. so either you make a midi map on your hardware (following the guru midi implementation) or you midi learn the color groups in your host.

audiotripuk

Postby audiotripuk » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:34 am

Hi Guys,

I am going crazy now and struggling to achieve the host automation as described above. I have assigned the FX parameters to the various colour groups and I can control them directly from my Padkontrol, which is fine. However, I would like to automate the coloured group parameters in live and cannot find a way to do it. When pressing the CONFIGURE button on the plugin I cannot select any parameters to map. On live screen none of the automated parameters seem to appear.

Programming the Padkontrol is a bit of a paid and I would like to use at least some of the functions automated and then Midi mapped so I can use my APC 40 for the effects.

Do I have to enable something so they become available? I am obviously missing something...

Please help :x

audiotripuk

Postby audiotripuk » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:26 pm

I have just tried in Logic and all the available automation parameters appear fine and I can control via MIDI!! What the heck is the problem in Ableton? Anyone experienced the same problem? I have read loads of forum threads but some say it's possible others say no..I am lost.

I am using Ableton 8.1.3. on MacBook Pro running 10.4.11

Please help :x

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:12 am

Hi,

The problem is that Live's configure mode in v8 requires some extra functionality that GURU 1.6 doesn't have, as it was released prior to Live 8. Specifically, configure mode only works in plugins that send a notification to the host when the user touches the plug-in's controls. GURU doesn't presently do that. We asked Ableton to provide a workaround, but they declined.

Which basically means that, for the time being, host automation in Live 8 is broken wrt GURU, and you have to use MIDI automation instead (as per the GURU MIDI Implementation documentation).
-- Angus F. Hewlett - CEO - FXpansion --
Twitter | YouTube
Synth Squad | BFD Eco

audiotripuk

Postby audiotripuk » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:24 am

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I thought something's not right as I have really tried everything. It's a shame, that Ableton; such a widely used software; wouldn't collaborate with an equally popular partner...It is just annoying..

Well I have no options but to start programming my controller :evil:

Thanks again.

alowe

Postby alowe » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:21 am

everyone should write to Ableton requesting they help develop a work around for Guru. Sending mine now!

audiotripuk

Postby audiotripuk » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:01 am

done :D

It's really frustrating though...it all works fine as a standalone but surely that's not the way forward!

Do Guru plan any new updates maybe which would help, too? :roll:

Return to “GURU”