Trigger Guru Via Midi Only in Logic 8-Please help - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Trigger Guru Via Midi Only in Logic 8-Please help

Support for GURU

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

antoine8

Trigger Guru Via Midi Only in Logic 8-Please help

Postby antoine8 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:42 am

Hey Guys,

I am sure the answer is already here however it is crazy trying to find it. What I want to do is use the loop soounds in guru via midi notes i have drawn in logic piano roll. The problem I have is Guru ends up playing its sequencer sounds and my notes in Logic, and for the life of me I do not now how to stop Guro from playing and just trigger my midi notes?

Also is their a simple way to drag a pattern or beat that you have done in Guru onto the midi piano roll or arrange window in Logic? I can do this with Ultrabeat but having trouble with Guru!

Thankyall so much for your help!

Rory_FX

Postby Rory_FX » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:50 am

Enable 'Ignore host transport and tempo' in the Audio Options, or just select a blank pattern.

You should be able to drag a pattern straight from the pattern keys to your midi or instrument track in Logic.

cylon

Postby cylon » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:55 am

I have a follow-up to this question.

What I am trying to accomplish is arranging an entire song using Guru's SCENES function (each scene has a corresponding pattern "placeholder" in Logic's sequencer), but add extra hits here and there using the piano roll. It seems overkill to create a new pattern every time I want to add a random snare-hit.

I tried to do this by dragging a pattern to track, sandwiched between the already arranged Scenes. When I do this, it not only plays the original, previously-selected pattern in Guru, but it "doubles" the sound because it now has the additional MIDI-notes to contend with, making the beat twice as loud.

I unchecked "Ignore Host Transport and Tempo", which was suggested above, and that does the trick... EXCEPT it stops playing all the previous and following arranged SCENE patterns, breaking the flow of the song.

Any advice on how to add my sporadic extra hits and fill-ins? Thanks for any help.

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:13 am

Just drop them in manually in Logic's piano roll editor..? i.e. trigger the GURU pads direct from Logic?
-- Angus F. Hewlett - CEO - FXpansion --
Twitter | YouTube
Synth Squad | BFD Eco

cylon

Postby cylon » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:22 pm

Hi Angus,
Here's a screenshot of what I'm talking about:

Those patterns on my sequencer track are just single midi notes that play a corresponding scene in Guru--all the real information is programmed into Guru's pattern editor.

So, say I'd want to copy that red #7 pattern, but pencil in a few extra hits only in that blank space to the left of it. What I'd do is drag the pattern to track, then adjust the notes individually. But--once I do that, not only will my newly created, unique pattern play, but that previous (red) pattern will play also, OVER it, which gives me the doubling effect.

"Ignore host transport and tempo" stops the doubling, but it also stops Logic from playing all the other "scene" patterns you see in this image.

So it seems Guru doesn't know how to temporarily stop playing a series of scenes that are programmed into Guru, play a pattern that is pencilled in directly into Logic, then go back to playing the scenes that only reside in Guru again. Is this correct?

Thanks

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:28 pm

You could send a MIDI command to switch GURU to a blank internal pattern while it plays back the variant from your Logic track, then when the next scene command arrives it will switch back to playing populated patterns.
-- Angus F. Hewlett - CEO - FXpansion --

Twitter | YouTube

Synth Squad | BFD Eco

cylon

Postby cylon » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:33 pm

Figured it out, the key was penciling in a note that wasn't already assigned to any of the kit.

Return to “GURU”