Drag and Drop Scenes to Host - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Drag and Drop Scenes to Host

Support for GURU

Moderators: Drew_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

alowe

Drag and Drop Scenes to Host

Postby alowe » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:13 am

This would be a great feature. Can I have some please.

PrimoChris

Postby PrimoChris » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:50 am

I think it would be a mess. Imagine that you would have to create tracks for each engine used, would you always create 8, or only the used ones? I´d imagine it would be only possible to do this, if you used multi-track *.mid like GM. It´s crucial to have all engines patterns as seperate regions. Every DAW might handle multi-track mid´s import differently. So conclusivly I think such a feature would be a nightmare from a usability and support point of view.

alowe

Postby alowe » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:03 am

PrimoChris wrote:I think it would be a mess. Imagine that you would have to create tracks for each engine used, would you always create 8, or only the used ones? I´d imagine it would be only possible to do this, if you used multi-track *.mid like GM. It´s crucial to have all engines patterns as seperate regions. Every DAW might handle multi-track mid´s import differently. So conclusivly I think such a feature would be a nightmare from a usability and support point of view.

That would be quite messy, but my Idea is; Drag and drop a scene container, Im still brand new to Guru so correct me if I'm wrong, but arnt scenes triggered by a single midi note? So all you would be dragging to your host would be a region with one midi event per/ the length of the scene. I think this is probably even more streamlined then the current function of dragging and dropping patterns, cuz in that case you do have to have a midi track for each engine, but with scenes it will always be only one midi track.

PrimoChris

Postby PrimoChris » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:59 am

I see.
Why not use only one track on midi channel 11 and just record or pencil in your scene triggers. It´s not more complicated than dragging I suppose.

The beauty of dragging patterns is, that you can edit, rearrange, and fiddle with them independently. I rarely use scenes anymore. All arranging of patterns is done in the DAW, GURU for me is more an instrument, than a song arranging tool. Scenes were meant as a basic way of putting patterns to a song structure, I think.

vespesian

Postby vespesian » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:22 pm

Huh? This is easy - all my scenes are triggered from the 'main' guru midi track. No need to drag - they're already there. In Sonar, until recently (ahem, ahem), the scenes slots were even automatically labelled in whatever slots/notes on the piano roll view (eg., "scene 1", "scene 2"). I use sub-outs (1 midi track, 16 audio).

alowe

Postby alowe » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:46 pm

vespesian wrote:Huh? This is easy - all my scenes are triggered from the 'main' guru midi track. No need to drag - they're already there. In Sonar, until recently (ahem, ahem), the scenes slots were even automatically labelled in whatever slots/notes on the piano roll view (eg., "scene 1", "scene 2"). I use sub-outs (1 midi track, 16 audio).

What do you mean by they are already there? I dont care so much about the labeling, I would just like to drag scenes as regions to the arrangement. Say I want scene 1 to run bars 1-8, drag that scene from GURU to bar 1(as you can currently do with patterns). and scene 2 to run bar 9-16, drag it to bar 9, and so on.. this would be great cuz you would only need one MIDI track, and it save the task of imputing that midi note in the host, in my way of thinking this would be the optimal way to arrange scenes.

alowe

Postby alowe » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:21 pm

PrimoChris wrote:I see.
Why not use only one track on midi channel 11 and just record or pencil in your scene triggers. It´s not more complicated than dragging I suppose.

The beauty of dragging patterns is, that you can edit, rearrange, and fiddle with them independently. I rarely use scenes anymore. All arranging of patterns is done in the DAW, GURU for me is more an instrument, than a song arranging tool. Scenes were meant as a basic way of putting patterns to a song structure, I think.

In this case you have to have a midi track for each engine correct?

vespesian

Postby vespesian » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:49 pm

No - 1 midi track for all engines. Each engine has a sub-out (16).

PrimoChris

Postby PrimoChris » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:14 am

alowe wrote:

Depends on your host and your preference.

I like to put each engine on its dedicated track.

alowe

Postby alowe » Tue May 04, 2010 2:40 am

PrimoChris wrote:
alowe wrote:

Depends on your host and your preference.

I like to put each engine on its dedicated track.

Thats one of the reasons scenes seem attractive to me, to avoid having so many tracks, I'm already running 1, midi and 4 audio tracks, but we will see what works best for me as I develop my workflow :)

Return to “GURU”