Gate does not respond to midi in with Pro Tools rtas on Win Xp - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Gate does not respond to midi in with Pro Tools rtas on Win Xp

Support for GURU

Moderators: Drew_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

Zapf

Gate does not respond to midi in with Pro Tools rtas on Win Xp

Postby Zapf » Mon May 03, 2010 4:00 am

I have the gate button on several pads enabled, and the option checked that allows the gate function to cut off the sample sound when receiving a midi note-off message. This function DOES work in Cubase using the VST version of GURU, but DOES NOT work in PT8 using the Rtas version of Guru.

Is this a known bug or limitation? I'd really like to have this feature working in ProTools.

Additionally...I can't get Guru VST to run in PT via the VST 2 RTAS wrapper...so that's not an option.
Last edited by Zapf on Thu May 13, 2010 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zapf

Postby Zapf » Thu May 13, 2010 4:14 am

Hey mods...it'd be nice to get a comment from you. This is a Guru support forum, right?

After searching around various forums, it seems that many VIs experience worse performance on RTAS, and do better in VST. But it would still be nice to have acknowledgment from you so I know I'm not dealing with an isolated problem.

Thanks...

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Tue May 18, 2010 2:57 pm

It's working here. Can you confirm that your GURU is reporting as v1.6.12 in Pro Tools and that the GUI looks the same in Cubase and PT?
-- Angus F. Hewlett - CEO - FXpansion --
Twitter | YouTube
Synth Squad | BFD Eco

Zapf

Postby Zapf » Wed May 19, 2010 4:57 am

Hi Angus,

I'm using version 1.5.1 And...upon checking it out, the gate feature does not respond to external midi in either PT or Cubase. It does however, respond to the software buttons on the GUI.

The GUI looks the same for both versions- RTAS and VST.

Which brings up another subject...when I first bought Guru I tried repeatedly to install 1.6.2 to no avail. (On WinXP-SP3) I tried downloading it several times on different days, and it just doesn't work. When I double-click on the installer, nothing happens. When I look at the task manager, there is a GURU something running, but there's nothing you can see. I didn't have problems installing the GURU demo, or GURU 1.5. And I haven't had this problem with any other maker's software. It seems like a corrupt installer.

But, if upgrading to 1.6.2 is the issue, I'll try the install again.

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Wed May 19, 2010 8:16 am

I don't know why you're talking 1.5.1 - the relevant versions are v1.5.12 and v1.6.12.

Are you running on a limited user account or admin, and is it an English-language XP install or some other?

Twitter | YouTube

Synth Squad | BFD Eco

Zapf

Postby Zapf » Wed May 19, 2010 3:01 pm

Angus_FX wrote:I don't know why you're talking 1.5.1 - the relevant versions are v1.5.12 and v1.6.12.

Are you running on a limited user account or admin, and is it an English-language XP install or some other?

I made a mistake. My GUI shows "v1.5 build 12" in both the VST and the RTAS versions.

I'm running XP SP3 as admin, and it's an English language install.

thanks.

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Wed May 19, 2010 5:29 pm

You definitely need to get to v1.6.12 - give the installer one more go, and if it still won't behave itself I'll get one of the tech support crew to take a look at your installer logs & suchlike.

Twitter | YouTube

Synth Squad | BFD Eco

Zapf

Postby Zapf » Wed May 19, 2010 10:43 pm

OK, re-downloaded the latest installer, tried it, and the same result:

Double-click on it, and nothing appears to happen.

I then checked the Task Manager, and under Processes, it lists: "Guru Application Installer WIN.exe"...
...and under Applications it lists the "GURU v16x Installer" folder

Nothing else appears, either on the desktop, or under Programs. There is no install log to send you.

Drew_fx

Postby Drew_fx » Thu May 20, 2010 10:38 am

Just out of curiosity, when you ALT+TAB whilst the installer is running, does it show up in the available windows?

Zapf

Postby Zapf » Thu May 20, 2010 2:23 pm

Hey Drew... No, it doesn't show up.

Double-click on the Guru installer...

The Task Manager Processes pane lists: "Guru Application Installer WIN.exe" as one of the items running.

But it does not show up on the task bar or via Alt-Tab

Zapf

Postby Zapf » Sat May 29, 2010 4:45 am

Hey, solved this. And techs...you really should know this.

The problem was that I was downloading and unzipping the program on one computer, then transferring the file to my music computer which is offline. Apparently that doesn't always work. Although, GURU is the first program I've ever had a problem installing because of this.

I found this info posted on KVR, by the guy who makes Aether...

<<IMPORTANT NOTE: Before launching "setup.exe" make sure it is located on your local computer, and not on a shared network drive. Moving the uncompressed installer folder to your desktop before launching it is a good idea. If you do not do this, and you attempt to run the installer from another local hard-drive and see only an hour-glass icon for a few seconds, and then the installer quits without doing anything, please move the installer folder to your active Desktop folder and launch the installer again from this location.

Why is this necessary for about 10% of users, we have no idea. It is some weird windows behavior. If someone has a clue how to avoid this, please let us know and we will change it. So far this one has us stumped. - Andrew Souter Galbanum | 2CAudio >>

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Sat May 29, 2010 11:32 am

Oho, that would make sense. Windows nowadays marks network drives as being an unsafe security zone, by default, which means the installer doesn't get permission to do everything it needs & gets stuck.

Our newer installers are built around self-extractors & don't suffer from this problem.. when we did GURU 1.6 we hadn't deployed that technology yet. Should really update it to the new installer engine..

Twitter | YouTube

Synth Squad | BFD Eco

Return to “GURU”