Guru Goes "POP" then appears to output Direct Current! - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Guru Goes "POP" then appears to output Direct Current!

Support for GURU

Moderators: Drew_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

Dom Beken

Guru Goes "POP" then appears to output Direct Current!

Postby Dom Beken » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:43 pm

System: Mac Pro 2X2.26GHz Quad, 12GB RAM, OS10.6.4, Logic Pro 9.1.1, MOTU 896 (X2) GURU 1.6.12

I have this strange bug where one either the left or right channel of Guru emits a loud "pop" and appears to "lock" with the output meters on the audio interface pinned at max, the channel meter in Logic shows nothing and the speaker cone is locked either fully in, or fully out - as if someone had put DC across the speaker inputs! Stopping play and restarting usually causes the speaker cones to leap back to rest with another loud pop and fixes it, until randomly it happens again - sometimes on the left, sometimes on the right.

In the attached screen grab I routed the GURU AU Channel to a bus and recorded the bus to a stereo audio track. It shows quite cleaqrly what's going on - and you'll noticed I only needed to try it twice to replicate the problem.
Can anyone out there help?

Many thanks.

Dom
Attachments
Guru ScreenGrab.jpg
Guru ScreenGrab.jpg (40.97 KiB) Viewed 4389 times

Rory_FX

Postby Rory_FX » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:24 am

Hi Dom,

Hmm, Angus may need to chime in here but he's on holiday this week. It's not something I've come across before. No insert plugins on the channel I take it? Does it happen in all projects or just in the one you're working on? Are you using any of Guru's internal effects? If so try removing them and see if it goes away.

Dom Beken

Postby Dom Beken » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:48 am

Hi Rory,

Thanks for looking at this: nope there are no inserts on the Guru channel which could be causing this. It also happens in all projects. However, it happens more frequently when I am using other memory heavy plug ins on other channels - eg. Kontakt with Abbey Road Drums loaded, or Trillian (although I have tried it in a fresh song with no other tracks and suffer the same problem.)

With or without Guru's internal effects, the problem remains the same: but the more heavily Guru is taxed, the worse it gets.

I'd be very grateful for any clues.

Bests,

Dom

Rory_FX

Postby Rory_FX » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:04 am

Hmm, like I say I've not seen it before. Angus will have a better idea when he gets back off hols. It seems like it might a filter breaking. What happens if you change the filter type on all layers/pads after it happens? (hold Cmd-Alt and change the filter type to do all pads/layers)

Kickflip

Postby Kickflip » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:26 am

I've encountered this but thought it was a Logic problem. Do you start your Logic projects from empty or use a template?

Usually when I get it I remove a any bypassed and unused plugins, delete the redundant automation nodes, save the track and restart. I'm thinking it's memory related as well.
Hackintosh Q6600 : 4Gb DDR2 : OSX Leopard 10.5.8 : Logic 9.1.5 : Mackie Onyx Satellite : UAD1 x 2 : Akai MPD32

Music
http://www.soundcloud.com/kickflip

Circuit Bent Madness
http://www.bogus-noise.co.uk

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:18 am

Can you please save a GRU file of the (new, empty) project and email the whole thing over to us? Will take a look.
-- Angus F. Hewlett - CEO - FXpansion --
Twitter | YouTube
Synth Squad | BFD Eco

Return to “GURU”