GURU CM - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

GURU CM

Support for GURU

Moderators: Drew_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

STRATEGY

GURU CM

Postby STRATEGY » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:38 pm

This was a nice gesture, does it mean that:

a) It's an old product, and you're just giving it away now?

or

b) GURU 2 is coming out soon?

Thanks,
STRATEGY

adoran

Postby adoran » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:33 pm

personally i'd guess option a)

been trying to sell my copy on ebay, kvr, music forums, etc.. for almost half the price at least a year now and there's virtually nobody interested in guru. add a 50% off coupon available in CM and i'm officially screwed in any attempts to sell this forgotten software for much less than what i paid.

certainly seems like they've completely given up on guru.. no 'stable' release in years, no updates to the year old 1.6 'beta'.. like really? you can't just create a 1.6 stable release in over a year?

i used to praise fxpansion to people for what an upstanding company it was that listens to their users, and is very down to earth with their support.. wouldn't catch me saying anything like that these days..

totally feels like i bought something that was promptly put on the backburner.

adoran

Postby adoran » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:32 pm

bueller... ? bueller... ? bueller... ?

yeah.. thought so.

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:54 am

1.6 is stable, and as I've said in countless threads, we don't announce new stuff til it's ready for prime time - as until it's ready, it's very hard to tell how long it's going to take. Why would we give out advance info to somebody that's trying to sell it anyway?
-- Angus F. Hewlett - CEO - FXpansion --
Twitter | YouTube
Synth Squad | BFD Eco

slavestate

Postby slavestate » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:31 pm

Stable? For what OS?

GURU 1.5/1.6 is far from stable on my MBP with SL 10.6.4 and that is with an i7 and 8GB RAM.

GURU CM is stable and usable, but the full version is garbage (loading times, graphical glitches, ultra slow response times) and was a total waste of money! Thank GOD I just bought it: REFUND!

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:33 pm

1.6 is stable on all the SL machines we've tested it on. v1.7CM is v1.6 with a cosmetic tidyup and features turned off - I find it difficult to imagine why there'd be any difference in stability between 1.7CM and 1.6. Please contact tech support via the ticket system if you're experiencing crashes.
Last edited by Angus_FX on Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twitter | YouTube

Synth Squad | BFD Eco

adoran

Postby adoran » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:33 pm

Angus_FX wrote:1.6 is stable, and as I've said in countless threads, we don't announce new stuff til it's ready for prime time - as until it's ready, it's very hard to tell how long it's going to take. Why would we give out advance info to somebody that's trying to sell it anyway?

if it's stable, why not take it out of beta? it's been over a year since the 1.6.12 'beta' release.. imo that just looks bad on your company that something like compiling a 1.6 release can't happen in over a year. are you that un-confident about your product these days? if it's stable.. release a non beta version.. why wouldn't you?? as someone who tries to keep up with who's doing what - this just looks lazy on the part of your developers.

yeah.. i've read your countless threads about not posting anything about anything until it's ready.. it sucks everyone ripped you guys off feature-wise and improved on your design.. however going into hiding just makes this company look scared & feeble.

yeah.. i can see why you wouldn't want to give someone trying to sell your product advanced info.. i can't imagine your sales figures for GURU in the past year are anything to brag about. i've been waiting on simple things to happen for over a year now (larger gui for high resolution), and it's seeming pretty clear that BFD is fxp's flagship and GURU has been set aside, neglected or forgotten for at least the past year.

just really sucks that you guys went rogue/underground with development news, or anything related to GURU whatsoever because it doesn't give users much hope that anythings being done, or any of their requests are being a) heard or b) taken into consideration.

anyone want a bigger gui? it's been at the top of the request/feature lists of many.. yet i have ZERO faith in fxp doing anything about this in a timely fashion.. nothing's happened in over a year from what i can tell.. and the activity of the forum here totally reflects that. it's dead & cold here. just like GURU.

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:48 pm

I asked s/one to change the designation on 1.6.12 to final, don't know why it never happened - we don't recompile builds once they pass beta, we just re-designate. After all, why recompile something that is known to work (and run the risk, however small, of breaking it in the process).

It's not about hiding - it's about not talking about stuff that /you/ can't use (because it's not ready for release yet) and that /we/ can't tell you when you can have it (because until software is damn near finished, any number of things can derail it). Really, what's the point of that, other than to "keep faith"? (I'm not a big fan of faith in general, but that's another story). I don't think anyone would call companies like NI, Cakewalk or Apple scared - they don't talk either, it's just better that way when there's a lot riding on it.

Sales have been doing quite OK, and FWIW we didn't release any updates to BFD either yet this year (just the "Eco" lo-cost version - and that's mostly a different development team to either DCAM or GURU). We used to subscribe to the whole "release little and often" mind set, but we don't any more - for several reasons:-
- more complex software is (much) more expensive to QA to the standard that's required for our user base
- most people don't really care about a drip-drip of little-and-often updates, they just want stuff to work
- we get loads of bitching that Guru 1.6 works different to 1.5 and 1.0, and that the manual doesn't reflect it, yet rewriting the manual every time would just kill it
- releasing little-and-often - or even one major release per year - doesn't give developers the time to step back, look long and hard at the design, and build something fit for the future. Every annual-release music software eventually, after 4 or 5 versions, hits a crisis whereby it gets bloated to the point where they have to start again. We don't have to play that game (no outside shareholders/investors), so we ain't about to start.

Like it or not, we're held to different standards vis. consistency, documentation, QA etc. than the average garage/bedroom operation (I should know, that's exactly what FXpansion used to be), and that slows the release cycle down. Just because we don't discuss it in public, doesn't mean we aren't working hard on it. Again, why would we spend time on the forum talking about a product that you can't use yet?

Best,
Angus.

Twitter | YouTube

Synth Squad | BFD Eco

slavestate

Postby slavestate » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:55 pm

Typical response from FXpansion! Nice try to save face and get the borderline customers in the fold.

I have contacted them and have yet to receive a reply. I would just love to have my refund of this shoddy product go smoothly rather than involving my bank. I will call instead. :)

GURU on SL does NOT work!

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:00 pm

Nothing to do with saving face - the support guys who man the ticket system will be able to ask you the right questions - and hopefully get the right answers from you - to get your setup working. Thousands of people using v1.6 on SL daily, I know that for a fact.

Twitter | YouTube

Synth Squad | BFD Eco

slavestate

Postby slavestate » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:18 pm

Oh please. :roll:

Funny though my response was to your "as I have said in countless threads" post. But still applicable here.

You have no idea why GURU 1.6 is horrible but GURU CM 1.7 is working - and you're in charge!?

Anyways:

Repair Permissions - CHECK
Reinstalling - CHECK
Latest versions of all DAWs - CHECK
Creating/Logging in under a different account - CHECK
Cocktail utilized - CHECK
Macaroni utilized - CHECK
TechTool Deluxe utilized - CHECK

However I do refuse to reinstall my OS for one shoddy plugin (that would be GURU).

In conclusion GURU 1.5/1.6 is NOT working here. Useless to me here (just like the VST to RTAS wrapper - what junk!). If you want to give me a modern APPLE system it is working on then we have a deal. Until then:

REFUND!

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:22 pm

Nobody asked you to reinstall your OS, and none of the items you've listed above have any bearing on trigger response or playback latency (which is the problem you've reported). I suggest that you wait for one of our qualified tech support staff to get back to you rather than attempting DIY fixes that will, at best, waste your time, and at worst, break your system. End of discussion.

Twitter | YouTube

Synth Squad | BFD Eco

Return to “GURU”