Is there an upgrade from Guru to Geist price - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Is there an upgrade from Guru to Geist price

Support for GURU

Moderators: Drew_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

dmg1723

Is there an upgrade from Guru to Geist price

Postby dmg1723 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:22 am

is there an upgrade price or is this considered a whole new product and you have to pay full price

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:43 pm

Guru users will be looked after. Details on the 17th.
-- Angus F. Hewlett - CEO - FXpansion --
Twitter | YouTube
Synth Squad | BFD Eco

Masarin

Postby Masarin » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:10 pm

Please, we want a head start on the 16th. :wink: :)

mcanavan

Postby mcanavan » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:42 pm

Charging 1/2 the price of GURU or Geist isn't "looking after" GURU users,
it's a typical gouging of an established user base. Seriously 50% off retail isn't an upgrade, it's 50% off retail.
60-70% off retail and I would upgrade, in fact I bet 90% of your user base would, at 50% I'll bet I'm not the only one thinking about Maschine, BPM etc. In fact I seriously cannot think of another software plug in on my system whose company charges 50% of retail price for upgrades?

Charging around 25-40% of the initial price for upgrades makes sense, I hope you guys come to your senses at some point.

CALVIN01

Postby CALVIN01 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:12 pm

50% off works for me.£80 for all that extra functionality that you can use for ever!!!!

what are you complaining about.??????.

mcanavan

Postby mcanavan » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:44 pm

CALVIN01 wrote:50% off works for me.£80 for all that extra functionality that you can use for ever!!!!

what are you complaining about.??????.

Why am I replying to a rhetorical question? :roll:

50% is higher than the industry standard, I do not like that FXpansion decided to go with the highest amount that 99% of the companies out there charge. Most companies charge 40% of the initial price or less. Do you want stats? NI charge $199 for Komplete upgrades, Komplete runs $499 retail. (Komplete is a boxed version as well, no argument that's more expensive for the manufacturer) Audio Ease charge $150 for the Speakerphone 2 update, Speakerphone retail is $459. I'm not picking and choosing here, these are plugins I own, let's see? I'm out of paid upgrades, unless you want to count Urs Heckman and Zebra 1 to Zebra 2? a whopping $20! Oh and his MFM2 was a free upgrade for those of us that bought More Feedback Machine... This is the same with the DAWs I own, upgrade Live, Logic or Digital Perfomer for about 40% or less of retail price. IE $199 for DP upgraded to version 7, DP retails for $499. Same with Logic and Live.

I have the VST-AU Wrapper sitting on my computer in v1 because FXPansion decided to charge over 50% the retail for the upgrade to v2, and I'm sure they wonder why people didn't rush out to buy it? Great products at FXPansion, but as an existing customer I get sick of being treated as a cash cow. This isn't just FXPansion, but they have one of the most expensive upgrade paths, you can't argue that.

soosh21

Postby soosh21 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:25 pm

well for starters this is not an update to guru....it is a new product ,a new tool. Yes it is similar in many ways but i am happy to pay under £80 for all the new tools at my disposal. If you think its too much stick with guru, you already have it. I stopped using guru since i got NI maschine last year, but now ill be using this too. With maschine bringing in free vst/au hosting from jan, geist will work amazingly inside maschine for different creative options. Sorry im veering off topic, but i think charing 80 pounds is totally fair enough, and im dure most people would agree with me.

mcanavan

Postby mcanavan » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:17 pm

soosh21 wrote:well for starters this is not an update to guru....it is a new product ,a new tool.

So FXPansion are continuing to develop and upgrade GURU? News to me? Funny? Geist looks exactly like what I would expect an upgrade to GURU to look like? I'm willing to bet the name change has to do with FXPansion not having to pay Devine Machine anything for their work on GURU with this new Giest, and that's the extent of the name change IMO.

soosh21

Postby soosh21 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:57 am

have you tried geist yet? It is very different than guru both in looks and functionality. many things have gone and lots of things have been added. It is an upgrade in some ways, but it feels like a new product completely. It not just like they've updated a few things....there is wholesale changes, everything has been redesigned. So yes, i think £80 is fair to exisitng guru customers.

mcanavan

Postby mcanavan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:19 am

Look I realize they can charge what they want, I'm just not capable at this time of paying what they want.
If as a consumer you don't set limits for yourself then you end up feeling shafted or broke.

You can argue all you want that it's not a premium price for an upgrade, but it is. I'm glad that they're giving a lot of functionality for that upgrade, but it still puts the user in the place of deciding a couple years/months from now when an OS or DAW upgrade breaks GURU whether to pay or move on. It's not like you have a lot of choice with digital audio, I simply don't have the space in my house to cary on with older OS's and hardware to keep older software running, the upgrade path is unforgiving this way. I'm behind in upgrades that aren't at 50%, so this one will be a looong wait. Hopefully they'll be hurting for $$ some time in the future and put the upgrade on sale like NI do sometimes.
Not what I want to be wishing for, I would rather see a decent price out the door.

In retrospect I wish them a lot of luck, but I also wish they would drop the upgrade to $100. :P

torque138

Postby torque138 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:48 am

I feel much the same way, mcanavan.

I probably wouldn't have cared so much about the upgrade/crossgrade price if it wasn't stated Guru users would be "taken care of." I don't really see upgrades for more than 50% off, so this hardly seems like a special deal.

They can, of course, charge whatever they fell like its worth and I wish them the best with it.

Funkybot

Postby Funkybot » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:13 am

Let's take a looksie-loo using actual retail numbers from Guitar Center after searching the word upgrade and sticking to pro-audio software...

Amplitube 3 - $300
Amplutibe 3 Upgrade - $200 (67% of full product cost)

Ableton Live 8 - $499
Ableton Live 8 Upgrade from 7 - $229 (45% of full product cost)

Samplitude 11 Pro - $999
Samplitude 11 Upgrade from 10 (older versions are more expensive) - $499 (50% of full product cost)

Pro-Tools 9 - $599
Pro-Tools 9 (upgrade from LE) - $349 (58% of full product cost)

Sonar 8.5 Producer - $399
Sonar 8..5 Producer Upgrade From 7 - $178 (45% and they do a new full version every 12 months or so)

So...50% seems about right to me. I'm sure you can go looking for and find examples of cheaper upgrades (Audio Damage being an example, but they're more the exception than the rule), but to imply that you're getting stiffed as an existing customer for 50% off seems like it's an unfair criticism. About half off seems like it's much closer to standard, not 70% off.

I can sympathize with not being able to afford something and wanting a better deal, so I'm not knocking anyone. I just point out the above to try and keep things in perspective.
Last edited by Funkybot on Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Intel i7 950, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, 12GB Kingston DDR 1600 RAM, ATI 5450 GPU, RME Fireface 800, UAD1, UAD2 Duo, Windows 7 64bit, Sonar X2 Producer, Reaper

soosh21

Postby soosh21 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:14 am

yeah thats true but then guru is rather old now and dated compared to BPM, maschine etc....i mean a lot of the features were cool and stuff but that tiny gui was impossible to work with! This new product has changed all that at i think its the best software ive ever purchased. 100 dollars would be sweet, but then paying in dollars your actually not paying VAT like the eurpean buyers so your saving some cash...... its nearer £95 to in the UK after tax.

i know times are tight, both for us and the software companies, but if you can manage it upgrade! im going to love geist methinks. They really have ironed out some isssues and taken us leaps forward!

torque138

Postby torque138 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:36 am

yes, 50% seems standard issue for plugin upgrades. exactly.

not really "taken care of." no one is saying "stiffed" either.

you really can't put any IK products as examples. they have near CONSTANT group buys.

mcanavan

Postby mcanavan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:53 am

Funkybot wrote:Ableton Live 8 - $499
Ableton Live 8 Upgrade from 7 - $229 (45% of full product cost)

Upgrade from 7 download version (like Geist is) $189, less than 40% of upgrade cost.

Samplitude 11 Pro - $999
Samplitude 11 Upgrade from 10 (older versions are more expensive) - $499 (50% of full product cost)

Musicians friend- http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=485998
Guitar Centers online store, $239 for the upgrade. that's more than 75% off full retail.

Pro-Tools 9 - $599
Pro-Tools 9 (upgrade from LE) - $349 (58% of full product cost)

Again, from LE it's $249. Pro Tools M-Powered is $349, and nobody can really say it's a good comparison anyway, this is one of the greediest IMO companies out there.

Sonar 8.5 Producer - $399
Sonar 8..5 Producer Upgrade From 7 - $178 (45% and they do a new full version every 12 months or so)

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=585679
Sonar like Digital Performer don't always upgrade on the full number.
This includes a free upgrade to XI when it comes out. Again, about 30% of the cost of Sonar 8.5 full retail.

So...50% seems about right to me. I'm sure you can go looking for and find examples of cheaper upgrades (Audio Damage being an example, but they're more the exception than the rule), but to imply that you're getting stiffed as an existing customer for 50% off seems like it's an unfair criticism. About half off seems like it's much closer to standard, not 70% off.

I can sympathize with not being able to afford something and wanting a better deal, so I'm not knocking anyone. I just point out the above to try and keep things in perspective.

Well it's always a good idea to actually do the homework then. Sorry, but in almost all your cases, things were much cheaper even using essentially the exact same retail store as an example for most purchases. Standard practice is between 30-40% of full retail, this makes total sense. Like I said I wish them luck in charging more, but I personally don't have to like it.

Return to “GURU”