Using GURU to Layer Kick Drums - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Using GURU to Layer Kick Drums

Support for GURU

Moderators: Drew_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

Ice-cream16

Using GURU to Layer Kick Drums

Postby Ice-cream16 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:47 am

Hi,

Just trying to use GURU in a similar fashion to how others use Ableton Drum Racks and the Vengeance Metrum product for layering kick drums.

In theory it appears possible since I can adjust the envelope, apply filters and even layer a sine wave however 1 draw back I am finding is that when auditioning different sounds on a specific pad layer it resets the amp envelope so I keep having to change it back. I'd be doing this so I can audition attack sounds from my sample kick library.

If anyone has any tips on how to use GURU to layer kicks I'd be keen to listen. I'm thinking of getting the Metrum product... but I'd much rather keep my workflow contained in a single program.

Cheers :-)

oiioooiio

Postby oiioooiio » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:54 am

if i get what your trying to explain by adding layers to a pad...

in pad edit view
click the layer button
you can adjust the asdr for eight layers mute solo each ect

Ice-cream16

Postby Ice-cream16 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:10 pm

Thanks. I know how the layers all work... I am just trying to implement a similar workflow to that achieved in Metrum where you are quickly able to experiment with different samples for the attack, punch and sub of a kick drum.

For example... I might want to quickly audition a number of different attack samples by setting the amp envelope to say 100-150ms and cycle through a range of different samples until I find the right one. At the moment every time I select a new sample the amp envelope resets to the full length of the sample which means I manually need to go and reset the envelope.

I'd like to get peoples workflows in relation to layering sounds in GURU and what they find works best. In relation to my OP I was referring to how people layer kicks in Metrum and also using Ableton drum racks which use different samples for attacks, punch and subs for a given kick drum.

Cheers.

oiioooiio

Postby oiioooiio » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:33 am

If you disable the fx button in the pad tab it will keep the current pad settings for new samples.

is that what you want?

Ice-cream16

Postby Ice-cream16 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:21 am

Excellent, will give that a try. Thanks.

Return to “GURU”