How to use loops as is without slicing or chopping? - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

How to use loops as is without slicing or chopping?

Support for GURU

Moderators: Drew_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

Moncho

How to use loops as is without slicing or chopping?

Postby Moncho » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:32 am

I have some nice loops that sounds a mess when sliced (too busy, no clear hits), so I just want it to play as it is but in sync. How to do that?

Drew_fx

Postby Drew_fx » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:26 pm

You can try this:

Turn off SLICE at the bottom of the browser. With auto turned on, select a pad, then the loop. The loop will now be loaded on the pad.

now.. you can either timestretch it, or right click the layer, and choose 'tune to tempo' and it will pitch the loop so it fits to the current tempo.

Moncho

Postby Moncho » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:01 am

Thx, but how to turn off slice? If I press the slice button in the browser it just turns to the chop feature.

In fact I generally can't find any way of loading loops to pads using GURU's browser.

But dragging a loop from windows explorer to a pad worked well, so I got loop on a pad working, great.

Now to timestretch it to tempo, but how? There's no mention of it in the manual and I can't find the feature anywhere.

And neither can I find the 'tune to tempo' option you mention. Right-clicking the layer brings up no menu.

Sorry for being so slow on this.

Moncho

Postby Moncho » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:53 pm

Ok now I found the tune to tempo was to ctrl-shift click the tune button, but it didn't really fit the tempo, maybe this will only work on 44.1 khz setups? I'm on 48.

But what I really need is timestretch. Where is it set?

Anybody? This site says GURU has 4 timestretching modes, but can't find anything in the manual or on the site here..

Moncho

Postby Moncho » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:18 pm

Last try. Anybody?

Or is this simply something GURU can not do?

Rory_FX

Postby Rory_FX » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:00 am

Drew_fx is thinking of Geist not Guru I think!

To drag a loop to a pad without slicing, go to the Pads tab and navigate to your loop. Anything in the Loops tab will automatically be sliced, anything in the Pads tab will not. Guru does not do time-stretching or 'tune to tempo', you'll have to manually tune the loop to the correct tempo (easy enough to do by retriggering every bar and adjusting tune until it loops correctly).

Hope that helps.

Moncho

Postby Moncho » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:04 am

Yes I was wondering how I couldn't make it work as prescribed. :o

But dragging loops to pads in pad view doesn't work, only way seems to be from Windows explorer.

Surprised there's no time stretch and even working tune to tempo in GURU, but I guess some manual tune fiddling will.

Cheers

Rory_FX

Postby Rory_FX » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:58 am

What format are your loops in?

Moncho

Postby Moncho » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:00 pm

Sorry for late response, been on holiday.

The loops are in .wav format.

I'm also working in 48khz. Could this be why the 'tune to tempo' (ctrl-shift click the tune button) won't work properly?

Rory_FX

Postby Rory_FX » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:36 pm

Guru can't tell the difference between a single hit wav file and a loop wav file. The only way it differentiates is by which of the Browser tabs you are currently using.

There is no Tune to Tempo in Guru, only Geist.

To drag and drop a wav file to a pad, make sure you the Auto/Drag button in the browser set to Drag (and you are on the Pads tab).

Return to “GURU”