Akai MPD24 and Chromatic Tuning.... - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Akai MPD24 and Chromatic Tuning....

Support for GURU

Moderators: Drew_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

dennisf

Akai MPD24 and Chromatic Tuning....

Postby dennisf » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:40 am

Can't there also be an option to chromatically tune a selected pad using the pattern buttons WITHOUT entering record mode? Ala MPC's 16 levels/tunings? It sucks that I have to be forced to record in order to play some tunings....also an option that allows me to chose between 1 octave below or above would be required. Anyway to do this now with CC info...Again not using the tuning knobs but using the pads chromatically. This would just about seal the deal if you had this feature...

thanks for any response
Dennis Ferrer

Sfere Recordings Inc
www.Myspace.com/DennisFerrer

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:46 pm

It's coming!
-- Angus F. Hewlett - CEO - FXpansion --
Twitter | YouTube
Synth Squad | BFD Eco

djconrad

Postby djconrad » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:58 am

Would this work like the MPC for attack, velocity etc as well?
And would you be able to enter '16 levels' for a particular pad sound, record then leave '16 levels' and carry on recording with the different sounds on each pad in regular mode?
or does it do this already?
thanks

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:26 am

It does that already - in record mode, the pattern keys can be used for '24 levels' or '24 pitches' for the currently selected pad.

Twitter | YouTube

Synth Squad | BFD Eco

djconrad

Postby djconrad » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:24 pm

Angus_FX wrote:It does that already - in record mode, the pattern keys can be used for '24 levels' or '24 pitches' for the currently selected pad.

OK, does this mean each different pad would play a different pitch chromatically and on which pad would the root note be located? Or can you assign the root note to a pad manually a la MPC?
Sorry to keep banging on but I can't try a demo being on an intel mac and the thought of the extra cash from selling my MPC, buying Guru and a pad controller and having all of the functions I'm used to is a big draw.
many thanks :)

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:45 pm

Yes, that's correct - the root note is the middle C of the pattern keys, so you get +/- 1 octave (hey, samples mostly sound crap outside that range anyway).

Twitter | YouTube

Synth Squad | BFD Eco

djconrad

Postby djconrad » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:59 pm

OK, cool.
any plans to add MPC style 16 levels attack, filter velocity etc?

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:17 pm

The levels thing is already in there, as I said.

What d'you mean about attack and filter velocity? You want to map velocity to envelope AR and filter cutoff?

Twitter | YouTube

Synth Squad | BFD Eco

djconrad

Postby djconrad » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:58 pm

I mean separate 16 levels for attack, separate 16 levels for velocity and so on...
for example on the mpc you can set the same sample across all 16 pads ranging from no change to attack on pad 1 then slight increments up each following pad ending in a really slow attack on pad 16
hope this makes sense :?

Groove66

Postby Groove66 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:12 pm

Hi people, my first post.

Installed my copy of Guru today and have to say it's an amazing alternative to my mpcs. The included sound library is actually quite nice, especially the world percussion kits.

Guru's Groove / Swing is spot on!!! very similar, if not better than my MPC 2000XL feel. The timing reminds me of my mpc 4000, and the sound is clean and neutral.

As soon as we have quantize per pad (not the whole engine), a note repeat with hold feature, more undo levels, a few more banks (maybe just one more)...Guru will rule imo.

Once i get my MPD 24, i'm set to use Guru as my go to software drum machine.

I would like to thank FXpansion for such a great product, providing a real software alternative to the mpc line and alot more.

8)

tonysimpleman

Postby tonysimpleman » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:49 pm

Hey Angus, I know you posted something about this feature coming soon back in 2007, but I can't tell if it has arrived yet in version 1.6. I am basically trying to do the same thing that the original poster was trying to do: chromatically tune hits that have already been recorded. For example, I'd like to take a tuned bass drum line from an existing pattern and chromatically tune the individual hits to make a melody. Is this possible?

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:36 am

Sure - go to the Pitch graph on the Graphs page and tune away.

Twitter | YouTube

Synth Squad | BFD Eco

tonysimpleman

Postby tonysimpleman » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:24 pm

Angus_FX wrote:Sure - go to the Pitch graph on the Graphs page and tune away.

You're right. I can technically do it this way. But my issue is that there doesn't seem to be a way to snap to the nearest semitone. And you've got 2 octaves covered on about a 2 inch graph, so I always seem to end up with notes really close to the notes I'm trying to get. I just end up with my face close to the screen trying to land right on the line for that semitone. It would be nice if there was a way to land right on the semitone spacing without having to guess if you're right on, you know? Like being able to select a hit in the guru lcd and then click on the chromatic note you want from the pattern keys

Return to “GURU”