Forum

FXpansion Forum

Wrapped plugins not showing up in protools

Support for the VST To RTAS Adapter

Moderators: Drew_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, Moderators

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:03 am

Jason,

Have a look in /Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-Ins, see if they show up in there.

Also, are you certain you're looking in the right place for them in Pro Tools? They should all show up on stereo inserts, effects in the "Wrapped plugins" category, instruments in "Instruments".
-- Angus F. Hewlett - CEO - FXpansion --
Twitter | YouTube
Synth Squad | BFD Eco

jason_haxton@hotmail.com

Postby jason_haxton@hotmail.com » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:54 pm

Thanks for the quick reply!

They do show up in /Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-Ins as .dpm files with a VW_ prefix, so it looks like they are getting wrapped fine.

The wrapped plug-ins are all effects, so I'm looking for them in the Inserts from the mix window. What I see for options for plug-ins are the default Pro Tools selections of: EQ, Dynamics, Pitch Shift, Reverb, Delay, Modulation, Harmonic, Dither, Sound Field, Instrument, and Other. I've searched under these sections, but do not see the plug-ins there.

When I click on a track insert in the mix window, the options I see are "no insert", "plug-in", and "i/o". There is no select for "multi-channel plug-in" as seen in the PDF manual for the software. Could it be that it's not yet compatible with Pro Tools 8 M-Powered's interface?

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:58 pm

One other possibility -- are you looking on a mono track or a stereo one? Some VSTs only work on stereo tracks.

Twitter | YouTube

Synth Squad | BFD Eco

jason_haxton@hotmail.com

Postby jason_haxton@hotmail.com » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:30 pm

That was it... Pro Tools won't let me use the wrapped plug-ins on mono tracks even though I use all of these VSTs on mono tracks in other pro audio applications. At least I guess I could still use them in the final mastering process after I've bounced to stereo, but it's a real bummer I can't use 'em on the mono audio tracks.

Thanks for helping me get to the bottom of this so quickly.

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:50 pm

If you set them to "CanMono: Yes" in the wrapper's config page they will show up in mono tracks too. These are VSTs that are reporting they only do stereo, but usually forcing them to work in mono will work ok too.

Twitter | YouTube

Synth Squad | BFD Eco

offkey

"Wrapped plugins not showing up in Protools"

Postby offkey » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:22 pm

My question concerns precisely this thread topic, even though it's an older thread now.

- My machine's a Vista (SP1).

- I have Protools 8 LE installed.

- I have read the FXpansion VST to RTAS manual and believe I understood it thoroughly.

- I turned UAC off, unzipped the downloaded Windows setup file, installed FXpansion's VST to RTAS converter and ran it.

- After pointing it to my custom VST plugins folder, the VST to RTAS converter successfully detected and wrapped all my VST plugins. (It failed on non-VST dlls found in my VST plugins folder, but the wrapped VSTi-s were marked green and the effects VSTs were marked blue after the converter had finished processing them.)

- I checked the Protools' DAE/Plugins folder to see that the .dpm wrapper files had indeed been generated for the VSTs. I also noticed some matching files with the approximate extension of ".dpmrsr", in case this is relevant.

- Then I launched Protools. In a new project, I added a stereo instrument track.

- In the Mix window, I have 3 insert slots per track since I work with Protools LE. On one of the slots, I was hoping to add one of the wrapped VSTi-s. However, I couldn't locate any wrapped VSTs, be these effects or instrumental ones, in any of the menus or submenus under "Multi-channel Plugins" (or the mono variant).

- Upon reading through this thread, I tried FXpansion's wrapper tool again by first removing all plugins, and this time choosing to detect and wrap just 2 VSTs by commercial companies that I placed in Fxpansion's VST Plugins folder. FXpansion completed its detection and wrapping process successfully and .dpm (and .dpmrsr) files appeared for both VSTs in the DAE/Plugins folder.

- However, upon opening up Protools once more and adding a stereo instrument track, neither of the 2 newly wrapped VST plugins were visible under the Multi-Channel Plugins menus.

Do you have any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong or what steps I may be missing? Any pointers are much appreciated.

musician1984

Vsts don't show in insert protools 9.

Postby musician1984 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:18 pm

Hopefully someone can help me. I am new at this rtas stuff. I am running protools 9 and I want to use trillian bass plug in and is not showing up. I'm going crazy over this.

Rory_FX

Postby Rory_FX » Wed May 02, 2012 9:14 am

No need to wrap Trillian, it comes with native RTAS plugin.

Return to “VST To RTAS Adapter”