Forum

FXpansion Forum

VST to RTAS 2.1 - Vista/Win7 users must disable UAC

Support for the VST To RTAS Adapter

Moderators: Drew_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, Moderators

kingkong888

VST to RTAS 2.1 - Vista/Win7 users must disable UAC

Postby kingkong888 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:40 am

Im not happy! I just spent $130 on this thing and it doesnt work.
On your website you specifically say that it works on Protools 8 but it doesnt.
Ive done everything right, Ive followed the instructions in the manual, Ive scanned the folders in the programs folder, the dlls are green with a yes next to them and still NOTHING!
Ive tried it with both Bfd lite and Real Guitar2 demo and when I try to access these plugins via the instrument drop down, Protools just crashes (suggesting they are still being recogized as VST plugs).
Im using Vista but theres no mention of Vista being incompatible on your website either.
Am I doing something wrong? If not, I have no option but get a refund because this is just unacceptable!

Rory_FX

Postby Rory_FX » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:00 am

For Vista you need to disable UAC:

http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm

Once that's done, rewrap all your plugins and you should be good to go.

Incidentally, BFD Lite doesn't need wrapping. It comes with a native RTAS version.

kingkong888

Postby kingkong888 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:04 am

Disabling UCA was one of the first things I did. Im having the same problem with Real Guitar2 which is a VST.
Ok so this is what happens-
I wrap the file the normal way-
VST TO RTAS telling me that its "Found Instrument Plugin Real Guitar"
Wrap:Yes MIDI:Yes Type: Instrument Ins:0 Outs:2 CanMono:No and then the file.

The file is in the dae plugins folder as "VWReal Guitar.dpm (dpm file)
VWReal Guitar.dpm (rsr file)

I then take out the dll file, to be on the safe side (either way it doesnt make a difference) then Launch Protools. The plugin is in the instrument dropdown as "VSTWReal Guitar",
I try to launch real guitar and BANG! Protools crashes leaving its alert message:"A Fatal error exeption has occured Protools must exit"

I also should mention I unistalled 2.11 and replaced it with 2.0 and got the same results.

Rory_FX

Postby Rory_FX » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:19 am

Is the VST version of Real Guitar working in native VST hosts? If there's a problem with the VST itself then the wrapper will have exactly the same problem.

Do you have any other VST plugins wrapped and working? Can you try with a couple of others? I just want to see if the problem is isolated to certain plugs or to all.

Also, where is the dll file you said you 'take out'? There shouldn't be any dll files in the DigiDesign/Plugins folder before or after wrapping.

kingkong888

Postby kingkong888 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:41 am

I tried Milk Guitar and Spicy GUitar and got the same results. The Problem isnt the VTS. If it were then I would recieve an error message in the message window to indicate that the plugin is incompatible or unreadable. But I have not. The VTS are infact wraped correctly to the standard required however the standard is clearly not compatible with my host application.
Ever since I upgraded to Prtools 8 and Vista I have not been able to access BDF without it crashing. (This is part of the reason I purchased VST to RTAS) Prior to that it was working fine. This could possibly suggest that it is not just VST to RTAS but your other programs too have compatiblility issues with my system. Whatever the case, I have tried everything imaginable to fix this problem with VST to RTAS, I have spent a good six hours or so, I have deleted the registry keys and installed previous versions of this software and dont believe I can resolve this.
I therfore have two options. I can either down grade back to Protools 7.4 and in doing so, XP. Or I can get a refund. I think out of the two options, the second seems the most convenient under the cirucumstances. So I would like to know what I need to do, or who I need to contact to get a refund. Because I cant afford to spend anymore time on this. I really wanted this translator to work but I have to be realistic now.

Rory_FX

Postby Rory_FX » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:20 am

I can assure you, the wrapper does work with ProTools 8. The only thing I know of that will make the wrapper crash in the manner that you describe is that UAC is not disabled in Vista. Did you rewrap all your plugins after disabling UAC?

If UAC is definitely disabled then there must be something else different about your system that is causing the problem. These things do happen, but can't always be solved within 2 posts on a forum.

The best thing is to contact us directly at tech support.

DMTAYLORII

Postby DMTAYLORII » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:04 pm

Rory_FX wrote:I can assure you, the wrapper does work with ProTools 8. The only thing I know of that will make the wrapper crash in the manner that you describe is that UAC is not disabled in Vista. Did you rewrap all your plugins after disabling UAC?

If UAC is definitely disabled then there must be something else different about your system that is causing the problem. These things do happen, but can't always be solved within 2 posts on a forum.

The best thing is to contact us directly at tech support.

I'm having the EXACT same problem. I can't wrap RealGuitar with my FXPansion; I'm running Pro Tools 8.0.3, and I bought it to use it specifically in Pro Tools.

kafka

Postby kafka » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:08 pm

It could be an issue with how RealGuitar is coded. I have a pile of VST plugins that work just fine under PT8. Occasionally I'll find one that has issues, although, that's pretty rare for commercial software.

RickyNW

Postby RickyNW » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:04 pm

I got the same problem with all DSK plugins....

RickyNW

Postby RickyNW » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:56 pm

I've tried to disable UAC and now everything works good! Thanks a lot

stangigley

vst to rtas wrapped plgins are crashing protools

Postby stangigley » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:45 pm

All wrapped plugins are crashing protools. I have Win7 Ultimate and, Protools 8.0.1, and vst to rtas v2.11. I will wrap the vst and it comes up as working and will show up in the plugin folder. When I choose it from the plugin pull down in a session it says that there has been a critical exception and PTS crashes. It does it for a tested 5 different vst. All the vst work on an xp version of windows running the same version of ProTools. It must be a windows 7 issue. Has anyone found an answer?

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:17 pm

Did you follow the instructions above for disabling UAC and then reinstall the wrapper?
-- Angus F. Hewlett - CEO - FXpansion --
Twitter | YouTube
Synth Squad | BFD Eco

stangigley

Postby stangigley » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:00 pm

Yes I disabled UAC, cleared the wrapper database, and rewrapped. Still crashing.

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:25 pm

Try running the wrapper's installer again, then the wrapper itself.
-- Angus F. Hewlett - CEO - FXpansion --

Twitter | YouTube

Synth Squad | BFD Eco

jsnbritton

VST will not show up in PT v8.0.3 Windows 7

Postby jsnbritton » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:08 am

I have a similar problem, but my PT doesn't crash it just doesn't list the plug ins. I have EZDrummer and Broomstick Bass for vsts and neither of them will show up in PT after wrapping. I, too, bought this ridiculous software because it was the only way to run these instruments in PT. I have tried the whole ball of wax for solutions and NOTHING worked. I have contacted fxpansion and am awaiting the reply. Definitely looking for a refund on this junk.

Windows 7 Professional SP1
PT 8.0.3 Essentials
VST to RTAS Adapter v2.0

Return to “VST To RTAS Adapter”