Changing from Windows to Mac. - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Changing from Windows to Mac.

Support for the FXpansion online shop, useraccounts, registering products and all other aspects of the FXpansion website

Moderators: Drew_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

ChasDrum

Changing from Windows to Mac.

Postby ChasDrum » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:58 pm

Hi folks,

Bought BFD3 in November last year. Foolishly tried using on an i3 dual core 6gb ram and software simply doesnt work (or rather the laptop can't handle it).

After much legwork now have a macbook pro (i7 quad, 8gb ram 256 ssd) so want to now transfer over. My question is, could I do this via offline authorization (bearing in mind it's a window version which will obviously NOT work on a mac) or is it a case of deregistering and downloading the OS version? Bit confused with the intracacies of BFD - Any pointers would be welcome - Thanks.

purtington

Re: Changing from Windows to Mac.

Postby purtington » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:36 pm

ChasDrum wrote:Hi folks,

Bought BFD3 in November last year. Foolishly tried using on an i3 dual core 6gb ram and software simply doesnt work (or rather the laptop can't handle it).

After much legwork now have a macbook pro (i7 quad, 8gb ram 256 ssd) so want to now transfer over. My question is, could I do this via offline authorization (bearing in mind it's a window version which will obviously NOT work on a mac) or is it a case of deregistering and downloading the OS version? Bit confused with the intracacies of BFD - Any pointers would be welcome - Thanks.

Not sure you need to deregister, you're allowed to run BFD3 on 3 separate machine or you get 3 authorisations.
But having said that, deregistering won't do any harm but I'm not sure you'll get the extra licence although in theory I think you should?

I think the core library works in either mac or pc so you should just be able to copy the core library over and download the mac version, install it and point it to the core library's new location.

I would advise running your core library from an external drive if possible and not from you system drive although as it's an SSD drive it might be more able to cope with the extra disk usage?

Steve
https://soundcloud.com/steve-corr

GA-X58A-UD3R,
Intel i7 930, 2.8Ghz, Overclocked at 3.40Ghz
12GB Corsair DDR3 Ram
WD Caviar Black, 6Gb X 2
+ 500GB SSD drive for BFD Samples
focusrite scarlett 2i4
Windows 10 + windows 7 32bit

ChasDrum

Postby ChasDrum » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:07 pm

Cheers Steve will give it a try.

ChasDrum

Postby ChasDrum » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:47 pm

Hi again,

I'm really struggling with trying to get this sorted. I've read the installation guide that came with the USB version, the online guidance, the forum, other forums etc and nowhere is there a step by step guide to simply downloading the OS version of BFD3.

I understand that with the original licence, one can can install on three separate machines but not how to download from scratch with an existing registered product. I noted with interest that the guide says that a major hardware change requires a reauthorisation - this seems to contradict the "install on three separate machines."

I've got three expansion packs and Geist waiting to go (as well as BFD3 which I've barely touched) and I'm getting really frustrated with how difficult this is proving to be. I really don't want to have to demand a full refund for all of the Fxpansion products.

On my account page it shows my unregistered products, BFD3 updates, Licence Manager update but no software installer or OS X/BFD3 application.

Stumped at present.

purtington

Postby purtington » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:01 am

ChasDrum wrote:Hi again,

I'm really struggling with trying to get this sorted. I've read the installation guide that came with the USB version, the online guidance, the forum, other forums etc and nowhere is there a step by step guide to simply downloading the OS version of BFD3.

I understand that with the original licence, one can can install on three separate machines but not how to download from scratch with an existing registered product. I noted with interest that the guide says that a major hardware change requires a reauthorisation - this seems to contradict the "install on three separate machines."

I've got three expansion packs and Geist waiting to go (as well as BFD3 which I've barely touched) and I'm getting really frustrated with how difficult this is proving to be. I really don't want to have to demand a full refund for all of the Fxpansion products.

On my account page it shows my unregistered products, BFD3 updates, Licence Manager update but no software installer or OS X/BFD3 application.

Stumped at present.

It's really not hard (honestly) The BFD3 update is the full product minus the core library (which you already have installed on another drive)
You just need to download the latest update and point it to where you have installed your core library.

I think you can do this before the licence manager pops up but if it does, just enter your username and password that you registered with and it should licence your BFD3. It also has to licence the library so will run again to do that once you have told BFD3 where it is in the contents page.

As for the 3 licences yes, changing hardware will often be seen as a change of computer.
It may seem unfair but the reality is fxpansion are more than happy to grant you more authorisations once you let them know.
Usually people know in advance if they are upgrading their computers and so I would recommend asking for more authorisations as soon as you decide to upgrade. I have had them given in 7 minutes, the longest being 4 days which is why you need to let them know in advance.

Hope that helps

Steve

GA-X58A-UD3R,
12GB Corsair DDR3 Ram
WD Caviar Black, 6Gb X 2
focusrite scarlett 2i4

ChasDrum

Postby ChasDrum » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:14 pm

Cheers Steve, Sorry for being so thick and thanks for the patient reply!

purtington

Postby purtington » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:35 pm

ChasDrum wrote:Cheers Steve, Sorry for being so thick and thanks for the patient reply!

Np worries, reading my post back again I should probably clarify, you should download and install the update to it's default location, not to where the core library is. Once installed it will probably ask you where the library is.

Steve

GA-X58A-UD3R,
12GB Corsair DDR3 Ram
WD Caviar Black, 6Gb X 2
focusrite scarlett 2i4

Return to “FX Website Support”