question about a replacement computer - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

question about a replacement computer

Share your tips and tricks for using FXpansion products

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

RiveraMan

question about a replacement computer

Postby RiveraMan » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:39 pm

Hi guys,
I've got an odd question maybe

My system (Pentium 4 CPU 3.40GHz 2 Gb RAM, windows XP pro, M-audio 2496 audiophile, BFD2 and loads of other plugins in Sonar 7) is doing fine, all 'tweaked' for audio (you know, it's stand alone, uninstalled everything I don't need, turned lots of stuff off and on in BIOS, removed services etc.) and so on. It's doing it's job fairly ok, although I feel it's got to work hard to deliver.

Now, I've got a chance to swap it with a brandnew Dell XPS 630 : Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9400 (2.66GHz, 1333MHz, 6MB) and 4 gigs of RAM... Graphics card: DUAL 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT card. This slick baby's running on Vista Ultimate (I don't know if that's good yet).

Would you recommend such a swap?: it would mean a lot of work, I'm aware, reinstalling everything (Now, were did I put those f**** cd's and dvd's again??), transferring gigs of project data etc.
PLUS I'd have to reinstall the old machine to make it do office jobs again (reinstall network, antivirus, office software and the likes,...)

If I should go for it, could I then just take out the SATA data disk, that has all the BFD data and plug it in the new one? It would be a fast way to swap the data at least,
I'd be glad to hear some advice
Best regards,
RiveraMan

RiveraMan

Postby RiveraMan » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:34 am

:?
ok, so maybe it was a dumb thing to ask. sorry.

still,
Should there be anyone else who is thinking of making the upgrade from a pentium 4 system running on XP to a more powerful machine on Vista: go for it. It makes a HUGE difference! it's worth all the reinstallation and migration fuss.
'If it ain't broken don't fix it', is a golden rule, but 'if you can make things better, do it' is not a bad motto either,

cheers anyway,
RiveraMan

Rory_FX

Postby Rory_FX » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:25 pm

Hey I take you went ahead with the upgrade. Sounds like a killer machine. Personally I would take XP over Vista, but that's a personal preference.

Just for the record (I don't know if you did or not), yes you can simply move BFD/BFD2 audio data from one machine to another. You just need to remember to set the new Data Path in BFD after installing on the new machine.

RiveraMan

Postby RiveraMan » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:01 pm

Hi Rory,
Yes it IS a great machine. I would have preferred XP also, but most of these new machines you buy today come with vista and you have to pay extra to get XP, imagine that...
anyway. It was an excellent occasion to organise all the software and plugins somewhat. I had stuff left right and centre. I only kept what I need (and some spares :) )

for your info, the BFD-data transfer went really smooth, no trouble at all. I did reinstall the percussion pack (flagged out the content), maybe that wasn't necessary?
everything works anyway so...

Hey keep up the great work you guys are doing there!
you have one VERY happy customer over here! 8)
RiveraMan

wikipediallc

Re: question about a replacement computer

Postby wikipediallc » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:51 am

Our budget currently provides for providing one new computer for each eligible faculty and staff person every four years, on average. Wikipedia Page Creation

Lewis-H

Re: question about a replacement computer

Postby Lewis-H » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:44 am

Yes, dell is a better option for replacing your computer, you can also try ASUS as well they also have greater machines with them. Also, if you find replacing your computer costly you can switch to Microsoft virtual desktop as well. There are many options for virtual machines like Azure windows virtual desktop or Citrix virtual desktop. You can try any of them as per your requirement and also you can operate them from a remote location as well. It will save your cost of replacing your computer.

Return to “Tips and Techniques”