BFD2 / Cubase drum recording - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

BFD2 / Cubase drum recording

Share your tips and tricks for using FXpansion products

Moderators: Drew_fx, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Moderators

pmaceli

BFD2 / Cubase drum recording

Postby pmaceli » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:03 am

Are there any particular advantages of using Cubase 5 vs BFD2 to record a drum track. I'm using a TD-12 so I'd like to record tracks in real-time as much as possible. Cubase allows me to create a scratch guitar/bass track which makes things easier to know where I am within a song.

I had read somewhere on this forum that you don't get as much flexibility insofar as controlling articulations and such if I record a drum track directly in Cubase. I'd love to hear how others have gotten around this, if it's true. I apologize in advance if there's a dead-simple answer on how to do something similar in BFD2, and I just haven't figured it out.

pmaceli

Postby pmaceli » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:01 pm

Just curious if the question should be posted on another forum, or whether the question doesn't make sense. Thanks in advance.

Rory_FX

Postby Rory_FX » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:19 am

If you are recording MIDI from your TD-12, it does't really matter if you record to a MIDI track in Cubase or to BFD2 itself. If you feel you will be doing a lot of editing after recording, then BFD2 may provide a better environment to edit in because you can deal with kit pieces and articulations instead of arbitrary notes on a piano roll. It's really down to personal preference.

pmaceli

Postby pmaceli » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:50 pm

Thanks for the reply. I thought I had read that b/c of the hi-hat trickery, recording grooves in bfd was beneficial to capturing midi notes in a daw. Lots of info gets posted on these boards, so thanks for clarifying this for me.

bashmentality

Postby bashmentality » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:46 pm

I have to disagree with rory that editing in cubase is less practical, since you can set up a drum map, and i dont really like the bfd editor. Also if you copy/move events in your project window this wont apply to drums if recorded to bfd. However i think there is one case where recording in bfd is preferable, and that is if you use variable hihat control. Because editing a variable hihat in the host is a pita, and bfd converts the incomming data to simple control. Check chapter 9 of your manual for more details.
The four most important plug-ins for music production:
VSTtalent v6.7
VSTexperience v2.5
VSTknowlege v8.3
VSTgoldenears v4.1
;-)

pmaceli

Postby pmaceli » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:54 pm

I guess that's the kicker. Hi-hats are one of the main reasons why I went and got (an expensive) TD-12, so you're pretty much corroborating my initial concern.

bashmentality

Postby bashmentality » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:11 pm

so you are using variable control? if so, recording to bfd is probably the better solution. but you can always export the midi file and import it directly into cubase if you want to be able to move your drum events around in the project window like any other track. in that case recording to bfd woul only serve the purpose of converting the variable control data to simple control. Personally i just prefer to have all my events on a cubase track, and also i like the editing in cubase better. For example if i quantisize someting, i usually export the pattern for a part of my drumtrack where i played it nicely via the part to groove function, rather than just using the standart grid - it just gives me a more natural feel. But you wont be able to do tht in bfd. On the other hand, if youre a good player you probably wont need quantisation, and if you record the whole song ypu wont need to move/copy things, in which case you can just leave the midi data in bfd. But then again, if you dont need to edit things, you can also just record to cubase, it just the editing of variable controlled hihats which sucks.

VSTtalent v6.7

VSTexperience v2.5

VSTknowlege v8.3

VSTgoldenears v4.1

;-)

pmaceli

Postby pmaceli » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:20 pm

Not a good player by any means. I usually create individual grooves in bfd, edit them as needed and then create a drum track. I don't like editing midi in BFD as I find the copy/paste function to be a little clunky, but I think I'll stick with doing things this way. Thanks again.

bashmentality

Postby bashmentality » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:23 pm

yeah im working in the same way as you, but using my keyboard so no variable control. But i think the best for you would be using simple control if your drum brain supports all the hat articulations you need. Otherwise, with variable control, record to bfd, then export to cubase for the editing.

VSTtalent v6.7

VSTexperience v2.5

VSTknowlege v8.3

VSTgoldenears v4.1

;-)

Return to “Tips and Techniques”