Forum

FXpansion Forum

Appropriate incoming MIDI Velocities for BFD2

All about how to use edrums with BFD / BFD2

Moderators: Drew_fx, john emrich, Mully_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Moderators

Scrif

Appropriate incoming MIDI Velocities for BFD2

Postby Scrif » Thu May 02, 2013 11:44 am

I use a TD-20 to record a MIDI track in Cubase. I then add BFD2 as a VST Instrument and begin to edit the MIDI. Onw thing I notice is that the TD20 sends Maximum velocities (127) for a lot of the notes. I manually correct any note over 100 using the Cubase Logical Editor and set them to between 90 and 100. However, I still find that on some of the drums that 100 is too much - the drum sounds very muddy and distorted.

What velocities does everyone else use? Is it different for each drum model and cymbal?

Thanks

Scrif

Postby Scrif » Fri May 03, 2013 11:53 pm

Does anyone else hear crickets?

john emrich
Righteous Drum Lord

Postby john emrich » Mon May 06, 2013 3:52 am

Try lowering the gain sensitivity for your Roland pads the sensitivity settings will be a lot lower than you expect in he td20. You can use the MIDI monitor in the MIDI mapping page to help you get them under control. Don't rely on the module because you are not listening to it. Aim for a maximum strike of 125 on the velocity scale.

Lowering only those that hit 127 will bust up your groove. It is better to get them all down together so that the way you hear it is correct before you record. That will yield better musical results.

What you are "hearing" with velocities at 100 will include the choice of instrument, articulation gain and mixing choices like effects. Turn off the effects when setting up your td20 so that items like compressors are not giving you false results. Once it is set up right it should play fine.

Scrif

Postby Scrif » Tue May 07, 2013 12:54 pm

Thanks JE!

I did some reading on a few other forums (vdrums.com specifically) and am going to create a separate trigger bank for when I want to trigger BFD2. I didn't want to mess with the velocities for the TD-20 kits because sometimes I just use the module drum sounds (depends on the song, application).

Anyway - thanks again for the reply.

Return to “Edrumming with BFD”