Win7 reinstall on same hardware = reauth ?? - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Win7 reinstall on same hardware = reauth ??

Support for BFD2 Acoustic Drum Workstation

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Moderators

lorcan

Win7 reinstall on same hardware = reauth ??

Postby lorcan » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:38 pm

Hi,

I had to reinstall Windows 7 completely, and beforehand I took care of saving the auth files for the products I own (BFD2 +3 expansion packs) so as not to use up my auths, but I was quite surprised to see the license manager refuse all 4 .auth files telling me they are "not valid for this computer" ...
Is this behavior normal ? I'm afraid to lose my licenses next time, or when I do a PC upgrade (planned).
I understand you have to protect your software, but I have to protect my investment, and this scares me quite a bit.

Best regards,
Lorcan

rob_fx (ex-FX)
Left to roam the Cursed Earth

Re: Win7 reinstall on same hardware = reauth ??

Postby rob_fx (ex-FX) » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:19 am

lorcan wrote:Hi,

I had to reinstall Windows 7 completely, and beforehand I took care of saving the auth files for the products I own (BFD2 +3 expansion packs) so as not to use up my auths, but I was quite surprised to see the license manager refuse all 4 .auth files telling me they are "not valid for this computer" ...
Is this behavior normal ? I'm afraid to lose my licenses next time, or when I do a PC upgrade (planned).
I understand you have to protect your software, but I have to protect my investment, and this scares me quite a bit.

Best regards,
Lorcan

It's normal, but your auth count at our end shouldn't change. If you do run out of auths (it happens) it's a simple matter to write a support ticket so we can bump you up a few. We can see the hardware you've had, so so long as your story is plausible we'll happily oblige.

-Rob.
"I was great engineer once, but then I took an arrow to the knee..."

lorcan

Postby lorcan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:13 pm

Thanks for the clarification. Is there any reason why the used up auth count doesn't show up in my user area ?
I guess it might be difficult to identify a machine/setup without giving out too much details about the algorithm used to determine the hardware fingerprint ...

While I'm here, may I ask if you think the td3/td11 works optimally with BFD ? I've set up my hi-hat as best as I could, but I still find the tip/shank detection is not consistent when the hi-hat is physically open. It seems the same midi note is output by the module for tip&shank when the hat is up, but different notes when it is closed. I would very much prefer to avoid buying a TD4/9/12 for this, especially as I would only use it as a controller.

Cheers,
Lorcan

Return to “BFD2”