BFD2.3.0.38 goes Final - Page 2 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

BFD2.3.0.38 goes Final

Support for BFD2 Acoustic Drum Workstation

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Moderators

Drew_BFDTeam

Postby Drew_BFDTeam » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:39 am

neilwilkes wrote:I've not got the discs.
Original installation was ages ago now, and I downloaded everything way back when BFD2 first came out.
Does this mean I need tp update my data files with these installers as well?

I'm not 100% sure what you mean. BFD2 has only just gone download, previously it was only available on DVD's. If you've got data already, you don't need to download the data files. You just need to install the 2.2 or 2.3 update, and then authorize.

neilwilkes

Postby neilwilkes » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:34 pm

Drew_fx wrote:
neilwilkes wrote:I've not got the discs.
Original installation was ages ago now, and I downloaded everything way back when BFD2 first came out.
Does this mean I need tp update my data files with these installers as well?

I'm not 100% sure what you mean. BFD2 has only just gone download, previously it was only available on DVD's. If you've got data already, you don't need to download the data files. You just need to install the 2.2 or 2.3 update, and then authorize.

In that case I must have discs somewhere - curious, as I cannot find them.
I am already properly activated and all has been working fine - I am about to go buy more expansion packs too - your prices are great.
The reason I got confused is because the data installers are all dated March 2012, yet I was certain I had downloaded the installers before.
Obviously my memory is flawed, and I apologise. I will now go try to find the box.....lots of them to dig through though...

andyjh

Postby andyjh » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:57 pm

Drew_fx wrote:Hey canuckcanuck...

It's covered in the FAQ's, but the data has been reduced in bit-depth slightly, from 24bit to 20bit. This has no effect on the resulting sound quality, but means we can ship the data much more conveniently for all of us.

Can you elaborate on this 20-bit thing. Are you saying that the library samples are now 20-bit, and does that mean the 24-bit samples we have are only read as 20-bit now?

I guess this means that BFD cannot be described as a 24-bit library now? I don't think sound quality should be sacrificed for a small convenience in insignificant file size reduction.

Platinum Samples

Postby Platinum Samples » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:15 pm

The DVD's are still 24 bit and all the expansions play at 24 bit... they just reduced the bit depth to make digital delivery a viable option... You can always order the 24 bit DVD version for an additional cost. BFD2 can play back each at their different resolutions... so your existing data still plays back at 24 bit.

Rail

neilwilkes

Postby neilwilkes » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:53 am

Platinum Samples wrote:The DVD's are still 24 bit and all the expansions play at 24 bit... they just reduced the bit depth to make digital delivery a viable option... You can always order the 24 bit DVD version for an additional cost. BFD2 can play back each at their different resolutions... so your existing data still plays back at 24 bit.

Rail

Interesting.
So the downloaded data versions are not 24-bit, but play back padded with extra zeroes, and without the same dynamic range as the DVD's?
It does not matter what bit depth a file is played back as - if it is a 16-bit file, for example, it is still only 16-bits even if played at 24-bits and the same thing applies to a 20-bit file.....

bronsoncox

Velocity Layers

Postby bronsoncox » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:05 am

Getting ready to go back through and double check the release notes and do a quick scan of possible previous posts, but is the fact that Max Velocity Layers topping out at 64 instead of 128 standard operating procedure with the latest updates, or is this a bug (same with Max Cache Buffers?)?

>> Looks like this max was possibly 256 before (to get the most from Platinum Samples expansions)

Please disregard if I've missed this in previous posts and I'll come back and edit this if I find it!

>> Okay, I can adjust them to 256/128 if I use the mouse scroll wheel, just can't seem to type them in for some reason.

CLASS

Is it possible to upgrade the sounds that come with BFD-2?

Postby CLASS » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:39 pm

Is it possible to upgrade the sounds that come with BFD-2?
Unfortunately, the quality level in terms of full-velocity does not compare at all - to the quality
that comes with extensions ...

dubcotics

Is stand alone 64 bit?

Postby dubcotics » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:43 pm

Hi,

my daw is 32 bits, therefore, 64 bit will not perform as such but using it in stand alone mode on win 7 will it be 64 bits?

regards,

dub

AudiosBoo

All was well until 64-bit v2.3: "Default MIDI Map...was not found - please reinstall BFD2"

Postby AudiosBoo » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:00 pm

Hi--and Help!!!!!!!!!!!--from Ottawa, CAN

I downloaded the 64-bit 2.3.0.38 update but when I run the standalone version, I now get "Default MIDI Map...not found..." and a very blank BFD2 window that has a single "Options" menu with "Open Audio..." and "Open MIDI..." preferences options. I'm running very up-to-date Win7 Home Premium, 64 bit, on a Core i7 w/12 GB. I have the boxed DVDs so I understand that I should only need to download the 64-bit "Final Update."

Suggestions very welcome!!!

Meanwhile, I suggest updating BFD so that if it can't find a file, then at least have it ask the user to indicate where it is; a missing file shouldn't cripple the software.

Further, I have a bunch of add-on's (Manu Katche, JEX, Heavy, Signature Snares, BOMB, and Percussion) and I've done what I can to keep all of the SW well organized (e.g. audio samples on a separate drive; 64-bit SW under "Program Files" and 32-bit under "Program Files (x86)") but the folder organization has slowly become a mess. Older add-on's didn't follow newer conventions (e.g. "Audio" vs. "Data" directories) and I now have odd things like a "Programs" folder containing nothing but BOMB files and the files in it sound like they should be in a "Grooves" folder--but there are also BOMB and BFD2 BOMB folders in the Grooves folder!!! Egads.

I'm happy to reorganize what I have but I sure could use some help knowing where Audio, Data, Fills, Grooves, KeyMaps, Kit Pieces, Kits, Maps, Mixers, Presets, Programs, and Swing Templates folders should reside within the following three directories: C:/Program Files/FXpansion; C:/Program Files (x86)/FXpansion; and E:/FXpansion, which I reserve for real-time samples.

And should the Expansion Packs folder be at the same level as BFD2 (within FXpansion folders on drives C: and E: ) or within BFD2?

I would also really like to know, which of the two paths below is preferable:
E:\FXpansion\Expansion Packs\Grooves\PER or E:\FXpansion\Expansion Packs\PER\Grooves? It makes a huge difference when you throw in other expansion pack folders (Audio, Grooves, KeyMaps, etc) and other expansion packs such as BOMB, Steve Ferrone, etc.

Help!!!
Audios!

Drumkat

Its Not Authorized

Postby Drumkat » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:01 am

None of my software is authorized as far as license manager is concerned when I use 2.3.038 mac in LOGIC 64bit, anyone else. OS 10.6.8

bronsoncox

Re: Is stand alone 64 bit?

Postby bronsoncox » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:07 pm

dubcotics wrote:Hi,

my daw is 32 bits, therefore, 64 bit will not perform as such but using it in stand alone mode on win 7 will it be 64 bits?

regards,

dub

As long as your Windows 7 install is 64 bit, you should have a 64 bit version of the standalone app that you can use.

bronsoncox

Re: Is it possible to upgrade the sounds that come with BFD-2?

Postby bronsoncox » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:13 pm

CLASS wrote:Is it possible to upgrade the sounds that come with BFD-2?
Unfortunately, the quality level in terms of full-velocity does not compare at all - to the quality
that comes with extensions ...

If you chose the Full install option when doing the initial setup, then you have the max quality you'll get from the stock kits. Unless I'm mistaken, most of the fxpansion branded kits max out around 64 velocity layers (still fantastic) where as some of the kits from Platinum Samples or the Zildjian Gen series have 128-256 velocity layers that are in play.

dubcotics

Stand alone doesn t work

Postby dubcotics » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:14 pm

Hi there,

anybody experiencing it also?

regards,

didier

dubcotics

Postby dubcotics » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:18 pm

Ok,

since we re talking about the new update, I assumed that it was obvious,

ok my daw then,

core duo 1.8 ghz

2 sata hd 7200 rpm

bdf on drive 2 and it's extensions in one partition

win 7 64 bits

cubase 5 32 bits

scope xite-1 as my musical digital interface

I have installed the update accordingly

I m only using 64 bit stand alone, as my daw is 32 bits

it crashes when trying to set the parametres " open audio preferencies " or " midi preferencies ", no problem with cubase ,

reagrds,

didier

FrankydT

Postby FrankydT » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:34 pm

I've a problem with the 2.0.38 AU version on Snow Leopard and Logic Pro
Continuos crashes.
Crash Reporter says definitetly that is BFD2 plugin to cause it.
It happens every 15-20 minutes
Setting the Stream and Ram buffer to max (655036) seems to help a bit, but....
Notice that my OS and software are updated daily
BFD2 is the boxed version, installed correctly with Data folder on a dedicated Internal hard drive (7200 rpm like the other 3)
Since version 2.0.32 this never happened
Logic 9.1.6 crashes like the last version 9.1.7, maybe a little less
Since I purchased it, runned the 2.2.2.3 update, the 2.3.0.32, then 2.0.38

Here are my system Informations:

Computer: Mac Pro 2008 Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.8 Ghz
RAM: 12 Gb
Hard drives: 4 Barracuda hard disks 7200 rpm
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4870
Audio Interface: RME Fireface 400 driver 3.0.6 (last)
DAW: Logic Studio 9 (boxed) Logic Pro version 9.1.7, 64 bit

If a log is needed, i'll be happy to send it to you some.
Thank you, bye

Return to “BFD2”