BFD3 feature requests list - Page 4 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

BFD3 feature requests list

Support for BFD2 Acoustic Drum Workstation

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Moderators

DrNewcenstein

Postby DrNewcenstein » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:22 am

Not sure if I mentioned this before (or if some else did), but a full-screen display option would be nice. Higher resolution settings make BFD's static window size too small, and I find myself scrolling the groove editor more than I'd like.

As well, the Groove Track at the top is far too small for me, and there's more scrolling going on there for a 3 minute track. The control seems a bit jumpy to me, and I either inadvertently drag a clip block to a new location or scroll out to No Man's Land.

Also, when you select Create New Groove, it'd be nice to have the option to name it right then, as you do when creating any new file in Windows (folder, text file, etc).

As it is now, I end up with a stack of New Groove (n), which clutters up the Groove Track unless I zoom in, and then I can only see maybe 10 of them. Granted, it's better than seeing "Space-Time Continuum From The Perspective Of A Bulimic Hippopotamus Pattern (n) no cymbal 12/8" in every block, but you get the idea.

Lastly, I'd like to be able to assign each kit piece's mixer channel. I use the 10-piece kit for everything, and rather than have all my Toms divided into 2 groups of 3 separated by various other pieces, I'd prefer to have them all in a row in the mixer, just as they appear in the Kit View. It would also help in the Groove editor since I find myself having to jump up and down the window to do a tom roll from the highest to the floor, and having to flip back and forth between the Kit view and Groove Editor to see which tom is on which channel, since there are no channel indicators on the Groove Editor.

Tim D

Postby Tim D » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:38 am

Here's a few things that I usually have to work around, they might apply to BFD3 or not, depending on how much the new GUI layout changes... These will be more applicable toward manual entry and editing than live-triggering/etc.

1. Preview strip - have a user selectable option to change from the current "click left side for low vel, click right for high vel" to one where the highest vel hits are in the center of the strip {maybe ramp the velocity (from left to center) even numbered velocities ascending then (from center to right) odd numbers descending?}. Very low velocity hits are usually less helpful when auditioning, so relegate them to the extremes of the click window. It's more intuitive to click the center of a button, and I'm always blindly clicking over in no-mans land trying to find the hard hits :( . The setting could be indicated/illustrated by gradient shading of the background in the strip, or maybe a little icon of a purse on the far left, a tube of lipstick on the far right, and a can of spinach in the middle.

2. Scroll wheel focus on-off for faders - when I scroll left and right in the mixer view, I instinctively want to use the scroll wheel/swipe on my mouse, but if the cursor is near the faders, I end up adjusting a level instead (usually without even noticing :? and without an "undo" in the mixer, I'm never sure if I'm putting it back where it was) . Maybe lock up-down to faders and left-right to window scrolling, or have an option for the faders to ignore the scroll wheel unless there's a modifier key press?

3. Velocity value blacklist/ignore - for each kit piece articulation, have an option to ignore certain velocity values and default to the next "available" layer, either up or down (basically, a midi message filter between the host and BFD). I often edit around floor toms and hihat pedal artics where there's a sample that tonally sticks out or feel like a "double hit" at one particular tempo - I might never use velocities 94 to 99 on a single midi note because it sounds weird to me, and I'll manually change them all to 93 or 100 to dodge it. This would also help combined with a load-on-demand or "Less Detail" setting, if you're doing something where you're never going to use the lowest 50% of a kit piece (or maybe just 1 or 2 hits down there for ghost notes), but still want full detail for the range of velocities you're going to use, without eating up resources... I might even start to use humanize and anti-machine-gun mode :P

4. Option to disable auto-scrolling in the keymapping keyboard view (always, or just during playback) - it just jumps around uselessly during playback and I have to drag it back to where I was working, but it's handy otherwise.

I'd add a soft vote to keeping the kit view around, I do sit and watch the animation during playback sometimes and it's easier to visualize which piece needs adjustment during mixing, for cymbals at least. I will often click on the graphic to hear something when I'm not playing back, or to focus the GUI on that piece. This is mostly because I'm used to doing it that way, though - if you figure out a better way, go for it. Can't really be a Luddite and program drums :wink:

Jezzta667

Postby Jezzta667 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:39 am

There's a problem with some Roland modules (I have a TD-12 but I've seen posts about the same problem with a TD-9) when using the Roland VH-11 Hi hat which is mounted on an actual hi hat stand. When the pedal is pressed down, a MIDI note for the pedal articulation is sent but it also triggers the closed tip articulation. Within the Roland module, it knows to ignore the tip note when the pedal note is played. If BFD3 could have an option for all Hi Hat articulations to NOT sound when the pedal is sounding, this would be an easy way to negate this problem with Roland kits.

Let's face it, BFD should be made to work with the worlds most popular electronic drums!

Fenderchris

Postby Fenderchris » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:21 pm

I hope the kit view is retained, but it would be better if it were possible to configure it to match my actual kit rather than being restricted to 10, 18 or 32 pieces, although this may be too complicated to implement.

For example, I only use a single bass drum.
Nuendo 8.1.10 64-bit and Nuendo 10.2.0 64-bit, Windows-10 64-bit, i7 Quad core 2.67Ghz, 24GB Ram, Roland V-Drum TD-20X, BFD2 64-bit, BFD3 64-bit.
RME UFX

Basjoe

Postby Basjoe » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:57 pm

I don't use a kit of electronic pads to trigger BFD2; I program the drum parts I need. I prefer to program the parts within my sequencer (Cubase) rather than use the inbuilt pattern sequencer.

When I think about it, I suppose there are several reasons why I work like that. Firstly, there's the finite number of available slots for patterns. I ensure that none of my patterns are never *exactly* repeated. I like the flexibility of the Cubase drum map, and the fact that I can maximise its window.

So, there are some things that might change my mind about how I work, and GUI changes to the inbuilt pattern sequencer would certainly help.

But the real biggie would be the implementation of an order-of-magnitude change in beat granularity. The current MIDI spec is I think 480 pulses per quarter note. All sequencers are harnessed to it, and Cubase is no exception. I've no idea how that number came about, but it's been with us for a very long time now. There is absolutely no reason (that I can see) why this spec should be adhered to within BFD2. So what about 3840 or 7680 pulses per quarter note, or perhaps another statistically significant large number.

That would allow for greater control of sequencing the psychoacoustic effects of "real feel" drumming, and would finally put an end to the machine-like quantisation that makes all MIDI notes fall on one of those 480 pulses.

Discuss.

Basjoe

Platinum Samples

Postby Platinum Samples » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:49 pm

The Groove resolution inside BFD2 is something like 32,000

Nothing they can do about the MIDI spec and the hosts' resolution when playing MIDI

Rail

Laslo

Postby Laslo » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:25 pm

Can I has AAX pls? 8)
And while you're at it, throw some ILOK loving its way too.

jeremycanfield

Postby jeremycanfield » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:33 pm

Not a real sexy request here. It would be great if upcoming BFD2 / BFD3 release would be made to be compatible with the M-Audio file deltaiipnl.dll. Currently, they are not compatible, which throws an error in BFD2. Here are some threads about this.

http://www.fxpansion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7578063

http://forums.m-audio.com/showthread.ph ... y-point-de

http://www.fixerrorguide.com/fixpcfile/ ... error.html

Thanks!
Jeremy

DrNewcenstein

Postby DrNewcenstein » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:50 pm

purtington wrote:
Laslo wrote:Can I has AAX pls? 8)

What is AAX when it's at home and why the hell would anyone want ILOk?
Baffled

Steve

He's either asking about the Sabian AAX cymbals or the Enhanced Audiobook format. Not sure which one :P

And yeah, ILOKs are great if you've got people always stealing your discs and $$ software. However, it doesn't seem to be a problem for hermits like me :lol:

Maybe it's an i-Musician's fashion accessory fetish? You separate the men from the boys by the number of ILOKs they have on a keyring? :lol:

Not to mention you can't sneeze on the interwebs without finding hacks and cracks for those things. Pointless, IMO, especially when my USB ports are in use by more important gear, like external drives, instrument interface, Wireless internet card, and such.

DrNewcenstein

Postby DrNewcenstein » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:53 pm

Platinum Samples wrote:The Groove resolution inside BFD2 is something like 32,000

Nothing they can do about the MIDI spec and the hosts' resolution when playing MIDI

Rail

Yeah, the MIDI spec would have to completely rewritten (or at least considerably). If that's going to happen, I want to put my two cents into the Official Board Of MIDI Spec Writing or whatever. There's quite a few things I'd want changed (Shamisen?! No s**t?)

guitardom

Postby guitardom » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:17 am

purtington wrote:
Laslo wrote:Can I has AAX pls? 8)

What is AAX when it's at home and why the hell would anyone want ILOk?
Baffled

Steve

Aax is the new pro tools plugin format and will be the only supported format in 11 when it goes 64 bit, so it will be necessary. 10 is a bridge that uses both rtas and aax.

For those of us that use ilok it is the simplest form of copy protection. I understand why some company's avoid it though.

guitardom

Postby guitardom » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:22 am

littleblackduck wrote:New item for the wish list - ability to remote control BFD on a WIFI net from an IPAD or iPhone in particular for fine tuning settings in the keymaps (trigger settings) or mixer. Maybe it is just me - but usually the computer and the drumkit are not conveniently next to each other in the studio - would love to be able to tweak settings sitting at the kit..........

LittleBlackDuck

I do this w my iPad and vcontrol pro. I have BFD 2 hosted in pro tools and vcontrol let's you open the plugins as full screen on the iPad, so have complete control of everything. It works great!!

guitardom

Postby guitardom » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:23 am

SKoT_FX wrote:Here's one to think about - we are debating getting rid of the kit view, and going to a more Eco-like "do-everything-from-a-hyped-up-mixer" philosophy. No functionality will be lost, but there wouldn't be a drum kit image. Your thoughts? How useful / reassuring / grounding do you find a big drumkit image in a piece of drum software?

i have not seen or used eco to know what that version looks like. personally i almost keep bfd 2 when open on the kit view. everything is so quick. linking kit pieces, selecting the kit piece to tweak settings, extremely fast when assigning triggers, easy to look at to decide panning settings, etc. my concern would be if it is anything like the current mixer, it would not work well. i have issues now when creating multiple snares for instance and them being assigned the same track name. way to easy to get confused which is which and if you dont change the name before rendering, only the first piece gets rendered and the second kit piece gets ignored. i think the current mixer is a bit hard to work quickly with. i obviously need to look into the eco mixer.

lorcan

Postby lorcan » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:26 pm

+1 for iLok. I often switch computers (Mac/PC) and sometimes reformat the OS to get a clean streamlined OS.
Reauthorizing C/R software is a real pain in this scenario.

Meffy

Postby Meffy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:33 am

I'm late to the game, I know, but please count me in for a "keep the kit view" vote. Being visually oriented I find it helpful.

Return to “BFD2”