BFD3 feature requests list - Page 5 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

BFD3 feature requests list

Support for BFD2 Acoustic Drum Workstation

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Moderators

dysamoria

Postby dysamoria » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:29 pm

Request for less interference from copy-protection...

The product is very cool and i appreciate the desire to ensure that people PAY for the hard work in creating it... but those of us that DO pay, are then still affected by the copy-protection stuff. Yes, support was quick to solve my problem with senseless license outage, but the problem shouldn't happen because i'm a legit customer and the muse of music making is very easily frightened away by technical crap.

Benoni

Postby Benoni » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:40 am

lorcan wrote:+1 for iLok. I often switch computers (Mac/PC) and sometimes reformat the OS to get a clean streamlined OS.
Reauthorizing C/R software is a real pain in this scenario.

iLok is a good idea in theory, but things happen in real life, like people stealing your iLok or an iLok getting misplaced, lost, and broken. When that happens it can be a huge pain to get access to your plugins that you paid for, in some extreme cases you can literally lose thousands of dollars when you have no proof that you iLok is "lost". I just don't think its right to have to pay insurance (ZDT) to the company that already has the licenses, to make sure you have access to your licenses. What kind of business is that? "We will keep your licenses for you, but if you want to make sure you have access to them, you have to pay us"

A much better system is the Plugin Alliance system that lets you authorize a computer and ANY USB stick. You have 3 licenses forever, always available in your account. You choose how you want to use them. You can authorize and de-authorize a license at anytime and it will go right back to your account. IMO, its the best system out there right now.

Benoni

Postby Benoni » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:47 am

fenderchris wrote:I hope the kit view is retained, but it would be better if it were possible to configure it to match my actual kit rather than being restricted to 10, 18 or 32 pieces, although this may be too complicated to implement.

For example, I only use a single bass drum.

Yes, keep the KIT view.

And it would be nice to do away with the 10, 18, 32, options and just have a maximum set number of available spaces, and let us drag and drop any kit piece into any slot and have that reflected visually in the KIT view. I do realize this would be very complicated to implement, but I like the idea.

lorcan

Postby lorcan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:28 pm

Benoni wrote:iLok is a good idea in theory, but things happen in real life, like people stealing your iLok or an iLok getting misplaced, lost, and broken. When that happens it can be a huge pain to get access to your plugins that you paid for, in some extreme cases you can literally lose thousands of dollars when you have no proof that you iLok is "lost". I just don't think its right to have to pay insurance (ZDT) to the company that already has the licenses, to make sure you have access to your licenses. What kind of business is that? "We will keep your licenses for you, but if you want to make sure you have access to them, you have to pay us"

A much better system is the Plugin Alliance system that lets you authorize a computer and ANY USB stick. You have 3 licenses forever, always available in your account. You choose how you want to use them. You can authorize and de-authorize a license at anytime and it will go right back to your account. IMO, its the best system out there right now.

Agreed, I'm not so fond of iLok either. If you had thousands of dollars worth of plugins on an iLok, maybe registering it with your personal insurance would be a good idea anyway, along with the rest of your gear. It might be difficult to get them to understand that a plastic usb dongle is worth that much, I have no experience with this.

Plugin Alliance is surely much better for users ... Fxpansion could also choose to implement the move / deauthorize / usb stick functionalities with their own copy protection mechanism if they' don't want to be tied-in with PA. Let's hope they're listening !

petesguitar1

Postby petesguitar1 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:43 pm

Late, but I my list would be:
- No ILOK
- Definitely keep the kit view
- Resizable window - IMHO, this is the worst thing about BFD2
- Right Click copy/paste etc in Groove Window
- Right click choice of tool (erase/draw/velocity)
- Continuous brush drags - at the moment you have to implement 2 snares and there are skips in the drags

petesguitar1

Postby petesguitar1 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:43 pm

Hey Steve, I don't know anything about soft synths, but what I do know is my opinion on what could be improved in this software. The fact is, I would love to be able to see 12 bars worth of grooves or more, so that's what I thought this thread was about. And I stand by my comment re: it being the worst thing about BFD2 :)

Funkybot

Postby Funkybot » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:04 pm

purtington wrote:
Resizable window - IMHO, this is the worst thing about BFD2

How many other soft synths do you know that have resizeable windows ?
Seriously I can't think of any.

Steve

The U-he synths offer multiple size settings. The Valhalla effects are also completely freely resizable.
Pay no attention to this signature.

guitardom

Postby guitardom » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:03 pm

Benoni wrote:
lorcan wrote:+1 for iLok. I often switch computers (Mac/PC) and sometimes reformat the OS to get a clean streamlined OS.

iLok is a good idea in theory, but things happen in real life, like people stealing your iLok or an iLok getting misplaced, lost, and broken. When that happens it can be a huge pain to get access to your plugins that you paid for, in some extreme cases you can literally lose thousands of dollars when you have no proof that you iLok is "lost". I just don't think its right to have to pay insurance (ZDT) to the company that already has the licenses, to make sure you have access to your licenses. What kind of business is that? "We will keep your licenses for you, but if you want to make sure you have access to them, you have to pay us"

You are a Pro Tools user which means you are strapped to an Ilok regardless. Plugin alliance plugs are cracked about as fast as they are released. Ilok 2 is still the only safe method. The concerns are that it is expensive for the plugin creator to implement, and the obvious issues with theft or broke ilok, otherwise there is nothing simpler.

Orgonator

Postby Orgonator » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:40 am

a fully 3d-(GPU) accelerated drum-space placement
mixing view..

..could be nice if not useful, useful it could be if (for example open-CL
GPU-accelerated parts) UI-would be friendly and efficient enough to offer better
ways to handle/manipulate drum-kits, positions,mic's,etc
(over traditional 2d-adjustment.parametres,type-input)
aswell the visual waveform of the signal and EQ-data path.

http://unity3d.com/
http://gpuimpulsereverb.de/
http://www.khronos.org/opencl/

Another thing useful if not nice - thing, could be
more modular add-on portion of the UI
to manipulate and create your sets
such as: http://synthmaker.co.uk/about.html

It seems that for example the "Eldorado"-set had that "right sauce" to give that nice sound and overall feel/presence
to the recorded drums, it probably is one of the most determining (the equipment and space used for capturing
the drums) single-factor to greatly influence to the overall results and quality of an product such as this.

Benoni

Postby Benoni » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:24 am

guitardom wrote:
Benoni wrote:

You are a Pro Tools user which means you are strapped to an Ilok regardless. Plugin alliance plugs are cracked about as fast as they are released. Ilok 2 is still the only safe method. The concerns are that it is expensive for the plugin creator to implement, and the obvious issues with theft or broke ilok, otherwise there is nothing simpler.

That is my concern, about theft or damage and being locked out of my plugins. At least with Plugin Alliance I have 3 licenses in my account, so if something happens, I have some security.

guitardom

Postby guitardom » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:51 am

Benoni wrote:
guitardom wrote:
Benoni wrote:

That is my concern, about theft or damage and being locked out of my plugins. At least with Plugin Alliance I have 3 licenses in my account, so if something happens, I have some security.

those licenses are useless if something happens to your ilok though since you will lose pro tools!!! just sayin.... :lol:

Benoni

Postby Benoni » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:54 am

guitardom wrote:
Benoni wrote:
guitardom wrote:
Benoni wrote:

those licenses are useless if something happens to your ilok though since you will lose pro tools!!! just sayin.... :lol:

That's rather specious reasoning. First of all, the Plugin Alliance plugs are not RTAS or AAX only, they are also VST, as is BFD2. Furthermore, many plugins like BFD2 and Geist are also standalone. So even if I lost my iLok with my PT auth, I could still use BFD2 and Geist if they were auth'ed like the Plugin Alliance plugs, just like I can use them now with the FXpansion License Manger.

As for other plugins from Plugin Alliance, don't you think it would be easier to only have to deal with begging for your licenses from iLok for just a couple companies and not all of them? Also since there are others DAWs out there, you could get something inexpensive like Reaper and still use your plugins from Plugin Alliance even if you lost your iLok with PT auth.

I know Avid is not going to drop iLok and go to their own solution like Waves or Plugin Alliance. But that is still what I would prefer. And i'd like the ability to have all my FXpansion licenses on a usb stick as well just because I hate having to worry about running out of auth's and its just easier when you are re-installing your OS, or doing a clean install of a new OS, or recovering from a HDD failure, or getting a new computer, or you are traveling and don't have your computer with you.

Just because we use Pro Tools, does not mean everyone does, so having a Plugin Alliance like system instead of an iLok like system would be better for the end user experience IMO.

Anyway, lets talk about BFD3, because nobody is changing their licensing scheme, and I've already voiced my opinion so I really don't have anything else to add on the subject.
:wink:

guitardom

Postby guitardom » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:06 am

Benoni wrote:That's rather specious reasoning. First of all, the Plugin Alliance plugs are not RTAS or AAX only, they are also VST, as is BFD2. Furthermore, many plugins like BFD2 and Geist are also standalone. So even if I lost my iLok with my PT auth, I could still use BFD2 and Geist if they were auth'ed like the Plugin Alliance plugs, just like I can use them now with the FXpansion License Manger.

As for other plugins from Plugin Alliance, don't you think it would be easier to only have to deal with begging for your licenses from iLok for just a couple companies and not all of them? Also since there are others DAWs out there, you could get something inexpensive like Reaper and still use your plugins from Plugin Alliance even if you lost your iLok with PT auth.

I know Avid is not going to drop iLok and go to their own solution like Waves or Plugin Alliance. But that is still what I would prefer. And i'd like the ability to have all my FXpansion licenses on a usb stick as well just because I hate having to worry about running out of auth's and its just easier when you are re-installing your OS, or doing a clean install of a new OS, or recovering from a HDD failure, or getting a new computer, or you are traveling and don't have your computer with you.

Just because we use Pro Tools, does not mean everyone does, so having a Plugin Alliance like system instead of an iLok like system would be better for the end user experience IMO.

Anyway, lets talk about BFD3, because nobody is changing their licensing scheme, and I've already voiced my opinion so I really don't have anything else to add on the subject.
:wink:

obviously my remark was a joke, but for me its pretty much true.

again, both plugin alliance and waves did not make it but a matter of days before they were cracked. ilok 2 is still the only method that has not been hacked. this would mean a lot to me as a developer.

keep your ilok insured for the software replacement costs. my entire studio is of course insured and the ilok cost is minimal compared to most everything else. 20$ for zdt w ilok and about the same a year for insurance. that is nothing, especially in comparison of replacing it.

Fxpansion has always been fine when i have had to ask for another license. have had to do it a few times!

Funkybot

Postby Funkybot » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:47 pm

purtington wrote:Fair enough, forgotten about U-he.
Had a look at the Valhalla UI and eek!! was the first work that came to mind :o

Steve

The Valhalla UI's are my absolute FAVORITE GUI's! At first I thought, "oh, this is so flat and ugly, looks like Synthmaker." Now it's become, "wow, this is so functional!" After time you'll realize it wasn't designed as flat and sparse due to lack of talent, but rather for 1. to allow for resizing of the GUI with no loss of quality (which is a huge feature), 2. legibility/clarity, and 3. an intentional nod to Swiss designs of the 70's using those futura fonts and color schemes.

Then add in the fact that there's a section of the GUI designed to explaining each feature in depth, with cool additional features like copy/pasting presets as text, and mix lock on all plugins, and you quickly start to appreciate how well thought out those GUI's really are. They're not sexy, but they're otherwise perfect IMO.
Pay no attention to this signature.

jbovinette

Request

Postby jbovinette » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:33 pm

I would love to see a full screen mode for the program.

I would also like to see a configurable kit in the "kit view". Making it easier for setup and keep track of what is being used. I would like to move the drums around to match the look of the kit that I play.

Return to “BFD2”