BFD3 feature requests list - Page 3 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

BFD3 feature requests list

Support for BFD2 Acoustic Drum Workstation

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, john emrich, mullynofx, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Moderators

kafka

Postby kafka » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:55 pm

Not a BFD3 request, but I really want to buy more expansion kits. I don't need any more, but I want more. I can't help myself. I'm addicted.

As far as BFD3 requests go, I've typically mixed through my DAW instead of using the BFD2 mixer, mostly because it's a little small, and a little hard to use in comparison to the DAW. However, I'd like to use it more. How about a feature where if you shift-click on an AUX, it just shows the sources that feed it, and maybe increases the size or the display, or maybe makes a separate popup so you can see the routing and processing more easily?

Platinum Samples

Postby Platinum Samples » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:51 pm

kafka wrote:Not a BFD3 request, but I really want to buy more expansion kits. I don't need any more, but I want more. I can't help myself. I'm addicted.

As far as BFD3 requests go, I've typically mixed through my DAW instead of using the BFD2 mixer, mostly because it's a little small, and a little hard to use in comparison to the DAW. However, I'd like to use it more. How about a feature where if you shift-click on an AUX, it just shows the sources that feed it, and maybe increases the size or the display, or maybe makes a separate popup so you can see the routing and processing more easily?

Check out our web site and Sonic Reality for additional expansion kits.

BFD2 has an option in the GUI prefs: "Show mixer signal routing".. make sure that's enabled.

Rail

kafka

Postby kafka » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:38 pm

Platinum Samples wrote:
kafka wrote:Not a BFD3 request, but I really want to buy more expansion kits. I don't need any more, but I want more. I can't help myself. I'm addicted.

Check out our web site and Sonic Reality for additional expansion kits.

BFD2 has an option in the GUI prefs: "Show mixer signal routing".. make sure that's enabled.

Rail

Yup, I have the Andy Johns and the Jim Scott expansion packs. Your stuff sounds great. You should make even more. :-) I'll take a look at Sonic Reality, too.

Yeah, that is enabled. The presentation is still a bit dense, though. To be able to quickly view all and only the routing and processing relative to a single output would be handy.

doublestrokeroll

Postby doublestrokeroll » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:25 am

I'm going to drop this in here although I suppose it's not really a "feature request" per say.

As an acoustic drummer first who has switched to edrums triggering BFD2; my biggest concern is realism. And I don't believe it gets any better than the BFD2 system. It's really amazing, and I don't feel I miss too much from playing real drums.

There are a few things however..that I do notice.

For one...the "realism" of sounds coming from the Platinum samples kits is noticeably better than the kits that come with BFD2. The dynamic range and expression feel more real when I use them with my ekit. Now...someone can correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me this is a result of more velocity layers/sample layers for each piece.

When I play all the kit pieces, either BFD or Platinum Samples, it's like I can tell which pieces were not sampled as detailed as others. Some snares just don't build up and crescendo like others, for example.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I'd rather see the next version of the Program (and Platinum Samples in their future packs) concentrate on the highest level of detail possible consistently across all pieces. I realize recording this stuff is expensive and time consuming. But I'd rather have you give me 3 kits perfectly sampled to a crazy degree, than 6 kits where a few compromises were taken. Especially in snares and Hi Hats.

I would gladly buy more kits as expansion packs if they were all like Platinum Samples or whatever becomes better than that in the future.

And the Hi Hat's are another area where I think BFD can improve. More detail, better transitions between open and close, more range when triggering with ekits.

I've said before somewhere...I realize edrummers are only a part of Fxpansion's market but they could really expand that market and win over acoustic drummers who would prefer the ease of home recording with programs like this.

dtb

Postby dtb » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:33 pm

I mix through my DAW instead of using the BFD2 mixer, too small and I like to have everything under control and mixed in ONE mixer only (nuendo btw). ui should be much more resizable and PLEASE keep the drum image ... looks great - I really don't like the idea of droping the kit view ... though could be a little bit smaller. as concerns the drum konfiguration hsve a look at rayzoon's jamstix where you can freely add and remove kit pieces and the kit gets rearranged ...
just my 2 cents
greetz
tom

littleblackduck

Postby littleblackduck » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:33 am

New item for the wish list - ability to remote control BFD on a WIFI net from an IPAD or iPhone in particular for fine tuning settings in the keymaps (trigger settings) or mixer. Maybe it is just me - but usually the computer and the drumkit are not conveniently next to each other in the studio - would love to be able to tweak settings sitting at the kit..........

LittleBlackDuck

john emrich
Righteous Drum Lord

Postby john emrich » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:50 am

Look into Air Display. It works wirelessly over your WIFI. It basically turns your iPad into an extra screen for your computer with the benefit of touch control. I use it as a very detailed remote control for my studio.

http://avatron.com/apps/air-display

John

TabSel

Postby TabSel » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:40 am

I prefer iDisplay
Dell M6500 Covet core i7 920xm 16GB 1333 4x4 RAM 256GB SSD 500GB 7200rpm HDD Win7 Prof x64 Cubase 5.5.0 x64 BFD2

Benoni

Postby Benoni » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:51 pm

Jezzta667 wrote:Dont you dare get rid of kit view! In my opinion, this is something that could use a major upgrade to make BFD into a badass looking, inspiring instrument. I think the graphic should change depending on what is loaded, eg add a small Tom and a small Tom appears. Add a splash and a splash appears. It would be so cool to actually CREATE a virtual drumkit it that you can see! It would be really really cool if they looked like the actual kit pieces that they are representing. Let's face it, building a big awesome drumkit is fun! BFD is here to make those dreams a reality so it would be incredibly cool if the whole build-a-kit-and-see-it idea was targeted.

But at worst, don't ditch it! The interface would be as boring as bat shit and be nothing like the REAL drums you've spent so long recording!!!

I agree 100% - there is more to using a Drum VI than the sounds alone. - Yes, the sounds are the most important, but I think its setting up a false choice by saying you would have to choose between good sounds and a beautiful interface. When I use a Drum VI, i want to experience the drums like you do when playing a real acoustic kit, and great visuals can help to inspire your Drum VI experience.

I've actually made a video about the Aesthetics of BFD2 if anyone cares to watch (youtube)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4dOQbH4iDM

metalvib

Postby metalvib » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:43 pm

One simple request:

- Get rid of the horrible sequencer. Implement the one from Geist instead! It's a zillion times easier to work with!

And yes, I would be using only Geist if it had the other functions that BFD2 has, like 128 velocity layers aso. ;)

gaheba

Postby gaheba » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:21 am

The kit page along with grooves pallet are wasted on me, especially as I do most of my midi editing/programming in Sonar, as I imagine most do.

Not wasted on me. I do a lot of my work with BFD2 on the kit page, and I love the kit view as it helps me get a good visual orientation with what I am hearing. I dont like guis like battery 3 for eg, they occur to me as far too inaccessbile and uncomfortable to work with. This just highlights the reality that different people respond in their own ways to workflows. Some are more visual than others, some are more auditory. We all have strengths and weaknesses in that regard. The current gui works for me. Ditto for the grooves pallet and the groove editor. I love these things, and I work in them in all the time. I hate working in piano rolls whatever daw its in. My only request for the editor is for some way to make it bigger! To have these features taken out of BFD2 would really dent MY workflow and enjoyment of BFD2. And I dont imagine how most people work at all other than to observe that we seem to have our unique ways.
Gary.

Bristol_Jonesey

Postby Bristol_Jonesey » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:09 pm

SKoT_FX wrote:Here's one to think about - we are debating getting rid of the kit view, and going to a more Eco-like "do-everything-from-a-hyped-up-mixer" philosophy. No functionality will be lost, but there wouldn't be a drum kit image. Your thoughts? How useful / reassuring / grounding do you find a big drumkit image in a piece of drum software?

I'm late to the party on this one, but I would absolutely HATE that!!

Please, if it's not too late, think again about this one.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, BFD2/BFD3, TRacks3, Adam P11A's, EWQLSO Platinum, Saffire Pro26, Various guitars, Amps & Fx

Bristol_Jonesey

Postby Bristol_Jonesey » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:14 pm

rak wrote:
Jezzta667 wrote:Dont you dare get rid of kit view! In my opinion, this is something that could use a major upgrade to make BFD into a badass looking, inspiring instrument. I think the graphic should change depending on what is loaded, eg add a small Tom and a small Tom appears. Add a splash and a splash appears. It would be so cool to actually CREATE a virtual drumkit it that you can see! It would be really really cool if they looked like the actual kit pieces that they are representing. Let's face it, building a big awesome drumkit is fun! BFD is here to make those dreams a reality so it would be incredibly cool if the whole build-a-kit-and-see-it idea was targeted.

But at worst, don't ditch it! The interface would be as boring as bat shit and be nothing like the REAL drums you've spent so long recording!!!

+1000
Fully agree. Don't get rid of the kit view but improve it to make for an even more real visual experience...
e.g. when 11 Kit-pieces are set up then make kit view display only those 11 kit-pieces and not all those empty unused slots as well.

Yes! Absolutely 100% + several million
Cakewalk by Bandlab, BFD2/BFD3, TRacks3, Adam P11A's, EWQLSO Platinum, Saffire Pro26, Various guitars, Amps & Fx

Bristol_Jonesey

Re: DATA Compression please....

Postby Bristol_Jonesey » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:16 pm

digitalboytn wrote:Please get compression happening on the audio samples like NI did with Kontakt 4.2 so that the data on the hard drives is compressed 2 : 1...That would really be a blessing because the libraries do take up a bit of HD real estate :( I think that this feature would be very gratefully received by every BFD user ! Thanks...ajw

Nope. Totally disagree, and with the current price of Drive space there is zero benefit

Bristol_Jonesey

Postby Bristol_Jonesey » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:19 pm

musicismath wrote:Get rid of the drum kit view interface, it's a waste of resources. Sounds harsh, but I'd be happier being able to do all my work in the mixer page than use the kit view if possible. I didn't buy the software for the kit view, I bought it for quality sounds and ease of use. The kit page along with grooves pallet are wasted on me, especially as I do most of my midi editing/programming in Sonar, as I imagine most do.

Sorry, but again, I don't agree.

Waste of resources? You're talking lines of code yes? Which might add a couple of Mb (at best) to the overall .exe?

And you have a simple solution - don't use it if you don't want it!

Return to “BFD2”