why the weird slot number order? - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

why the weird slot number order?

Support for BFD2 Acoustic Drum Workstation

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Moderators

taifun

why the weird slot number order?

Postby taifun » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:52 pm

I've been wondering about this for a while, why are the slot numbers so arbitrarily spread on the kit piece page? Is there a way to rearrange them? I think it would make more sense if the top row from left to right would start with 1-2-3 etc. and continuing down in the following rows in the same way as we are all used to read text. This would make it easier to spot a slot number when for example you want to exclude this particular slot from loading any new sounds into it (cfr. the 'load kit pieces into slot' checkboxes)

SNAFU

Postby SNAFU » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:02 pm

Maybe there should be a reason to flip between the common BFD-like style, and your suggestion. I for my part like the way they made it, because it gives me a natural view on things like I'm used to it from real drums, where 01 would be my kick (as the most "important" kick piece), left to it the snare (02), a bit back and to the left of the snare the hi-hat (03), and so on.
I guess that's way they did it that way. As far as I experieced it, it's just a bit tricky when you want to use more than three toms and have them not going straight from say left to right according to pitch and numer :)

cheers
snafu

taifun

Postby taifun » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:56 pm

Ok, that kind of makes sense, I thought it was just random. By now you've probable guessed I'm not a drummer :)

SKoT_FX
Promulgator of Beats

Postby SKoT_FX » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:28 am

This is backward compatibility with BFD1 & BFD 1.5. The 10-piece kit option follows BFD1's layout, the 18-piece kit follows BFD1.5.

In "Future Versions" of BFD, this will no longer be relevant as we've abstracted out that layer of slot-i-ness.
SKoT McDonald
CTO FXpansion]

Benoni

Postby Benoni » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:04 am

SKoT_FX wrote:This is backward compatibility with BFD1 & BFD 1.5. The 10-piece kit option follows BFD1's layout, the 18-piece kit follows BFD1.5.

In "Future Versions" of BFD, this will no longer be relevant as we've abstracted out that layer of slot-i-ness.

:shock:

oooooh, I like how that sounds! As long as our BFD2 compatible expansion libraries still work, this should be supa nice. I imagine BFD3 is a HUGE programming job, keep up the good work.

Return to “BFD2”