Install procedure and setup - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Install procedure and setup

Support for BFD2 Acoustic Drum Workstation

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Moderators

muso80

Install procedure and setup

Postby muso80 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:34 am

Hey guys/gals,

I know this question has probably been posed a thousand times, but I couldn't really find a definitive answer quickly so thought I'd ask.

I just received my boxed copy of BFD2, registered it, grabbed some fxpansion packs, and am ready to install.
I wanted to know what the correct installation procedure was. I've got a MBP with 7200rpm HDD installed, and have 2 two external WD FireWire hard drives- one of them is used to record Logic Pro audio to, and the other is a spare at the moment.
I was thinking I'd use this second FW HDD as my BFD2 drive, as I believe you're supposed to use a separate drive for this purpose.

My question is, do I install the software AND audio samples/fxpansion files to the external, or the BFD2 software to my Mac's internal HDD and just the audio and packs to the external? Will be using BFD2 with Logic if that influences anything.
Wasn't sure about this and am just trying to make sure I get the installation right the first time. :)

Also, my setup is as follows:
MBP < WD FW800 external HDD < Presonus Firepod interface daisy chained to the WD FW800 external (as the MBP only has one FW800 port and I wanted the faster device first in the chain).
To connect the other WD FW external for use with BFD2, I only have one free FireWire port left, and it's a FW400 port on the back of the Presonus at the end of the chain. Is it okay to have it set up like this? I understand the drive will be limited to 400Mbit/s data transfer speeds, and wanted to know if there would be any adverse affects to having things set up in this way.

I would really appreciate some advice on best practice before proceeding. Shall (impatiently) wait until I get some feedback before commencing the install. :D

Thanks in advance, and apologies for the lengthy post!

Benoni

Postby Benoni » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:16 am

While not really required, it is usually a good idea to have a dedicated sample library hard drive (or two if you have TB's of samples)

These do NOT have to be External drives, they can be internal. I don't know what you have available on your MBP, but many laptops these days have 2 internal bays, so that is an option and is almost always a better spec than external drives in terms of speed, but E-Sata should get you about the same, I'm not sure about Thunderbolt yet. Anyway...

You do NOT want to install any sample libraries to the hard drive you are recording to.

You would want to install the actual BFD2 Application to your OS hard drive, then install the samples to a different hard drive (non OS or recording). You should be prompted for each during setup (app and library)

When you get everything installed, then you will install your expansion libraries to the same hard drive as your stock BFD2 library, BUT to a different directory/folder. On Windows I'll just manually create the folder and install the expansion to it.

I have a few videos on youtube showing how I install my BFD expansions, but the BFD Deluxe video I have up shows the whole process from install to activate and then using it. Check out the first few minutes for the installation and activation if you want:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3SqrS0i94A

I hope that helps.

muso80

Postby muso80 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:30 am

Thanks very much for your lightning response Benoni. I've started the installation and will install the program to the internal HDD and samples to my second FW400 external drive.

Benoni wrote:You would want to install the actual BFD2 Application to your OS hard drive, then install the samples to a different hard drive (non OS or recording). You should be prompted for each during setup (app and library)

My outlined setup should work fine then, fingers crossed. :)

Benoni wrote:When you get everything installed, then you will install your expansion libraries to the same hard drive as your stock BFD2 library, BUT to a different directory/folder. On Windows I'll just manually create the folder and install the expansion to it.

Just to clarify, you mean the fxpansion packs I purchased should be installed to the external drive also, but in a different folder to the BFD2 stock samples, correct?

Benoni wrote:I have a few videos on youtube showing how I install my BFD expansions

Shall take a look at your link now.

Thank you again for your help and quick reply, it's very much appreciated. :)

Benoni

Postby Benoni » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:41 am

muso80 wrote:Thanks very much for your lightning response Benoni. I've started the installation and will install the program to the internal HDD and samples to my second FW400 external drive.

Benoni wrote:You would want to install the actual BFD2 Application to your OS hard drive, then install the samples to a different hard drive (non OS or recording). You should be prompted for each during setup (app and library)

My outlined setup should work fine then, fingers crossed. :)

Benoni wrote:When you get everything installed, then you will install your expansion libraries to the same hard drive as your stock BFD2 library, BUT to a different directory/folder. On Windows I'll just manually create the folder and install the expansion to it.

Just to clarify, you mean the fxpansion packs I purchased should be installed to the external drive also, but in a different folder to the BFD2 stock samples, correct?

Benoni wrote:I have a few videos on youtube showing how I install my BFD expansions

Shall take a look at your link now.

Thank you again for your help and quick reply, it's very much appreciated. :)

Yes, same physical hard drive, but a different folder. It's all covered in the video, but for example my stock BFD2 library is in BFD Drums Samples>BFD2 while the Heavy expansion is in BFD Drum Samples>BFD Heavy ect...

Just read the installation instructions where you choose the directory to install the library, its all written in there, you can also download the guide to several expansion packs in your FXpansion account, I believe the instructions are written in there as well.

muso80

Postby muso80 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:48 am

Benoni wrote:Yes, same physical hard drive, but a different folder. It's all covered in the video, but for example my stock BFD2 library is in BFD Drums Samples>BFD2 while the Heavy expansion is in BFD Drum Samples>BFD Heavy ect...

Perfect. Thanks very much Benoni.
Ahh, the many hours that lie ahead installing and tweaking.. :lol:

Benoni

Postby Benoni » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:57 am

muso80 wrote:
Benoni wrote:Yes, same physical hard drive, but a different folder. It's all covered in the video, but for example my stock BFD2 library is in BFD Drums Samples>BFD2 while the Heavy expansion is in BFD Drum Samples>BFD Heavy ect...

Perfect. Thanks very much Benoni.
Ahh, the many hours that lie ahead installing and tweaking.. :lol:

Yes, that is true. I know I will spend several hours, sometimes even a couple full days putting together a kit and then tweaking everything so it sounds just right, it can be daunting at times..... but once you have 'the sound' just save the preset and you are good to go.

I don't know if you are new to BFD2, or if you are just coming back to it, but I would suggest spending several hours with it, then read the manual, then come back and spend a few days with it and create several of your own presets and effect presets. Once you do that, its extremely fast to grab the kit you need or effect preset you need, and start recording.

This is the most advanced drum VI out there, the options can be overwhelming, just take it slow, read the manual, use it for hours at a time, and before you know it you will be a master at it.

Most of all, have fun! :D

Good luck.

muso80

Postby muso80 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:08 am

Not too sure if this is normal or if I've done something wrong..
I installed all 5 discs, then ran the 2.3.0.38 update, and then opened the BFD2 application. Upon starting, it said something along the lines of "ALERT! Please select the path you wish to use for your BFD2 data path(s)". Also mentioned something about it being top level, or something along those lines.

So this is different to the audio sample path / hard drive?

Just want to clarify.. Should I be creating a new folder on my internal HDD, my Logic/recording drive, or my BFD2 audio-dedicated drive for this?
I'll leave BFD2 on this screen until I (fingers crossed) get an answer to this question - don't want to mess it up.

Thanks in advance for any help, once again.
(And apologies for the ridiculously newb-ish questions!) :)

muso80

Postby muso80 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:40 am

Ok, I think something has gone disastrously wrong.

I got a little impatient, and created a new folder inside my external BFD2 Library HDD called Data and rearranged the Audio and Grooves folders to sit inside that. So, BFD2 Library>BFD2>Data>('Audio' and 'Grooves'). I pointed BFD2 towards this Data folder and clicked ok, then BFD2 suddenly closed and gave me the following message:

BFD2 Standalone quit unexpectedly.
Click Reopen to open the application again. Click Report to see more detailed information and send a report to Apple.
IGNORE / REPORT... / REOPEN (buttons)

No matter what I do, it just keeps force quitting on program startup. What on earth has gone wrong and how do I fix it?
Do I have to install all 5 discs again?

I opened the License Manager and my BFD2 doesn't appear there (though I haven't authorised anything yet as I can't seem to do that).

Would really appreciate some help at the moment. I'm a bit beside myself. :(

EDIT: Additional system info
Core i5 2.4GHz
8GB DDR3 1333MHz ram
Mountain Lion 10.8.4

Platinum Samples

Postby Platinum Samples » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:19 am

NO!!!

There should not be a Data folder for BFD2 data... it'll confuse BFD2 and it'll think it's BFD 1 Data

You should not have a Data folder...

It should be:

x:\BFD2 Samples\Audio
x:\BFD2 Samples\Grooves

In the BFD2 Data prefs make sure the Data Path

x:\BFD2 Samples\

exists in the Data Prefs... then press Trash & Rebuild all Databases.

Rail

muso80

Postby muso80 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:36 am

Platinum Samples wrote:NO!!!

There should not be a Data folder for BFD2 data... it'll confuse BFD2 and it'll think it's BFD 1 Data

You should not have a Data folder...

It should be:

x:\BFD2 Samples\Audio
x:\BFD2 Samples\Grooves

In the BFD2 Data prefs make sure the Data Path

x:\BFD2 Samples\

exists in the Data Prefs... then press Trash & Rebuild all Databases.

Rail

Thanks Rail.
Ok, I started again from scratch - deleted everything and commenced installation from Disc 1 again.

I installed Disc 1 and immediately ran BFD2 to see if it would initiate. It did, and I authorised it, although it gave an error message saying that some of my kits weren't authorised and wouldn't work (will have to get back to that later).
I reformatted the external drive, named it Drum Library BFD2, and created a BFD2 Samples folder within it, as you instructed.

It now looks like this:
Drum Library BFD2>BFD2 Samples>Audio
Drum Library BFD2>BFD2 Samples>Grooves

I opened BFD2 and did as you suggested - pointed it to the BFD2 Samples folder, then trashed and rebuilt.

I'm up to the 3rd disc now. Though for some reason the installer insists on creating its own BFD2 folder inside any folder I point it towards during installation, so I'm having to cut/paste the folders into the correct Audio & Groove folders after each disc has completed its installation.
Once all discs are done installing, shall I trash and rebuild again to make sure it got everything?

Appreciate your time/patience Rail. I'm a seasoned computer user, but this install has flustered the life out of me. :lol:

Platinum Samples

Postby Platinum Samples » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:44 am

Point the installer to:

Drum Library BFD2>BFD2 Samples

You should just install all the DVD's... when you start up BFD2 it should auto-scan and find the new data.

Rail

Return to “BFD2”