Another Plea for AAX 64 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Another Plea for AAX 64

Support for BFD2 Acoustic Drum Workstation

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Moderators

aahladas

Another Plea for AAX 64

Postby aahladas » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:43 pm

I understand that fxpansion has scrapped their promised AAX64 update for BFD2, and will only be offering it with BFD3. I personally don't mind buying BFD3, and would probably have done it anyway.

The problem is that virtually every major plug-in manufacturer has now released AAX 64 versions of their products, including direct competitors of BFD. With Waves and Melodyne now available, I'm ready to make the move to PT11. Except for BFD2, which I have relied very heavily on. At this point fxpansion is solely responsible for preventing me from being able to use PT11, which I paid for (on preorder foolishly believing the promises from Avid and plug-in developers that everything would be ready to go at launch).

To promise an update, then have it be late, then scrap it in favor of a new version that people will have to pay for is not good practice. It has tarnished my view of fxpansion, and made me wary of continuing to rely on your software. Whether it was bad faith or mere ineptitude, I'm far less comfortable counting on you than I had been. I'm not aware of any other plug-in developer that has made people pay for AAX64.

So at this point I am begging you, unless BFD3 will be ready (and bug-free) very, very soon - Please finish and release the AAX 64 update to BFD2 that was promised at least 3-4 months ago. Otherwise I am going to have to give your competitors a try - not because I want to, but because you have given me no choice.

SKoT_FX
Promulgator of Beats

Postby SKoT_FX » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:35 am

Small correction: we've never said BFD2 would be AAX64, in fact BFD2 dev was frozen at 2.3.1.6, which was well over a year before the AAX64 SDK was available even in draft form, so that our BFD dev team could concentrate on BFD3.
SKoT McDonald
CTO FXpansion]

aahladas

Postby aahladas » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:06 pm

SKoT_FX wrote:Small correction: we've never said BFD2 would be AAX64, in fact BFD2 dev was frozen at 2.3.1.6, which was well over a year before the AAX64 SDK was available even in draft form, so that our BFD dev team could concentrate on BFD3.

At a minimum it appears there has been some obfuscation. There is a video interview posted by Avid on YouTube from January (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQEvIA-iBJg) in which Angus said: "By the time you need AAX, we will have AAX for you".

In an earlier thread which asked specifically about an AAX64 version of BFD2 (http://www.fxpansion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7579034), he made some statements about "public beta by the end of October", with no mention of BFD3, leaving the impression that it was an AAX64 version of BFD2. Further FX posts in the thread continued to leave that detail unmentioned. He also said this:

We are still hard at work on AAX64 support - it's taking longer than we'd like (mostly as a consequence of supporting a raft of complex instrument & fx plug-ins with a small development team), but we should be in a position to make an official announcement in a few weeks, hopefully with some of the product line ready to go at that point and a detailed schedule for the rest.

I understand that you may not have wanted to announce BFD3 earlier, but I believe greater transparency was called for.

If the statement about October for beta is still true, I'm assuming it will be several months yet before BFD3 is released. I could give you that the PT11 release was bad timing with BFD3 in the works, but being this late in the game is problematic. I don't know how difficult an AAX64 version of BFD2 would be, but it seems if you've got it going for BFD3 it should be possible. Otherwise as I said, I have no choice but to check out other drum programs.

davecmcgrath

Postby davecmcgrath » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:51 pm

SKoT_FX wrote:Small correction: we've never said BFD2 would be AAX64, in fact BFD2 dev was frozen at 2.3.1.6, which was well over a year before the AAX64 SDK was available even in draft form, so that our BFD dev team could concentrate on BFD3.

Very surprised to hear that BFD2 was frozen in early 2012 ( 1 year before SDK for AAX64 available) !!!
The impression I got from the statement above is that BFD2 was heading to Beta for October, as did most people who read the post.
So I also own BFD ECO which I think was frozen about the same time then. Looks like the move to "upgrade" to BFD3 will be only option for Protools 11 other than looking at alternate drum VI's.
Lets hope the upgrade price will be reasonable
iMac 3.00 Ghz 12 Gb RAM OSX Yosemite, BFD ECO, BFD2, BFD3, Protools PT11, MBox2, Dell Studio 15 laptop Intel Core2 Duo P8600(2.4 Ghz), 4Gb Ram, Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate, Alesis DM10 drums , Roland SPD-S

kafka

Postby kafka » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:31 pm

If you want to use BFD2 in PT11 now, it Rewires through Reaper just fine. It's kind of a nuisance, but it will get you to PT11 if you can't wait.

jackn2mpu

Postby jackn2mpu » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:43 pm

kafka wrote:If you want to use BFD2 in PT11 now, it Rewires through Reaper just fine. It's kind of a nuisance, but it will get you to PT11 if you can't wait.
Or you could use Blue Cat Audio's MB7 V2 mixer that also hosts vst plugins. There are several people over on the DUC that are finally able to use BFD 2 in PT 11 with a cheaper solution than VEPro and easier to use than rewiring Reaper into PT.
Jack
Pro Tools 2019.6
2012 Mac Pro cheesegrater, 3.46 GHz hex core cpu, 48 gig ram, OSX 10.13.6
BFD 3 and plenty more

Qapla

davecmcgrath

Postby davecmcgrath » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:24 pm

I am using Reaper ( it isn't free but evaluating copy has no restrictions) to access BFD2 in Protools 11 and also tried the demo of Blue Cat MB7 which is excellent. But to buy either would be about £58 for MB7 or $60 for Reaper, whereas upgrade to BFD3 is £99 so not huge difference. I'm waiting for demo version of BFD3 to try out before I make my decision
iMac 3.00 Ghz 12 Gb RAM OSX Yosemite, BFD ECO, BFD2, BFD3, Protools PT11, MBox2, Dell Studio 15 laptop Intel Core2 Duo P8600(2.4 Ghz), 4Gb Ram, Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate, Alesis DM10 drums , Roland SPD-S

jackn2mpu

Postby jackn2mpu » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:10 am

davecmcgrath wrote:I am using Reaper ( it isn't free but evaluating copy has no restrictions) to access BFD2 in Protools 11 and also tried the demo of Blue Cat MB7 which is excellent. But to buy either would be about £58 for MB7 or $60 for Reaper, whereas upgrade to BFD3 is £99 so not huge difference. I'm waiting for demo version of BFD3 to try out before I make my decision
There's an even cheaper solution and it has multiple audio outs which MB7-2 (which is brilliant) doesn't support in it's vst hosting. It's DDMF Metaplugin at: http://www.ddmf.eu/product.php?id=3 I haven't tried it yet but several people I trust have given it a workout in PT11 and it's working well for them. And certainly easier than using Rewire and Reaper.
Jack
Pro Tools 2019.6
BFD 3 and plenty more

Qapla

davecmcgrath

Postby davecmcgrath » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:50 pm

jackn2mpu wrote:
davecmcgrath wrote:I am using Reaper ( it isn't free but evaluating copy has no restrictions) to access BFD2 in Protools 11 and also tried the demo of Blue Cat MB7 which is excellent. But to buy either would be about £58 for MB7 or $60 for Reaper, whereas upgrade to BFD3 is £99 so not huge difference. I'm waiting for demo version of BFD3 to try out before I make my decision
There's an even cheaper solution and it has multiple audio outs which MB7-2 (which is brilliant) doesn't support in it's vst hosting. It's DDMF Metaplugin at: http://www.ddmf.eu/product.php?id=3 I haven't tried it yet but several people I trust have given it a workout in PT11 and it's working well for them. And certainly easier than using Rewire and Reaper.

Thanks Jack

I'll keep using Reaper as its working fine but thanks for the tip

Dave :)

Benoni

Postby Benoni » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:15 am

I'll throw my hat in for a BFD2 AAX 64 update as well. I don't want BFD3, don't like it. I'd much prefer to keep the UI I have, I'd just like to use it in PT11 and not be stuck in PT10. But if they won't, I'll just move on to another company.

a_starr75

Postby a_starr75 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:32 am

I own BFD3 but would still like to use BFD2 in PT11. As anyone knows, who's been through BFD, 2 and now 3, it takes a really long time to get things dialed in the way you like them. I'd like to be able to use 2 and 3 in the current version of protools. It seems like a simple money making strategy that is causing a lot of the supporters of this product grief. Good way to make money in the short term, good way to piss people off at the same time.

jackn2mpu

Postby jackn2mpu » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:18 am

a_starr75 wrote:I own BFD3 but would still like to use BFD2 in PT11. As anyone knows, who's been through BFD, 2 and now 3, it takes a really long time to get things dialed in the way you like them. I'd like to be able to use 2 and 3 in the current version of protools. It seems like a simple money making strategy that is causing a lot of the supporters of this product grief. Good way to make money in the short term, good way to piss people off at the same time.
Thank you for your thoughts and I believe there are more people out there that want aax 64 support for BFD 2. I don't own BFD3, don't want it, don't need it, don't like the gui. I've watched the Groove 3 tutorial for BFD 3 and there's nothing in it that makes me want it. Cymbal swell and tom resonance modeling - phooey. If the object for cymbal swell is to give more realistic crescendos/descrescendos/rolls then it fails by a mile. And tom resonance is just another bleed control and something engineers have been fighting against for eons when recording with direct mikes. And the tutorial just confirms that the gui is ugly and looking at it gives me a headache - literally.
Jack
Pro Tools 2019.6
BFD 3 and plenty more

Qapla

Return to “BFD2”