macOS 10.15 Catalina compatibility - Page 9 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

macOS 10.15 Catalina compatibility

General FX news, discussion, and a place to speak your mind

Moderators: Drew_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

sagov

Re: macOS 10.15 Catalina compatibility

Postby sagov » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:13 pm

Any predictions about approximate timetable for resolving this?
Months,years???

onlyleura

Postby onlyleura » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:07 pm

Here's my layman's interpretation of the situation. I might be completely wrong here, but I've been in the software engineering trade since the Macintosh came out in 1984. My long history with operating systems, team engineering of retail software, and the constant race to keep up to date means I know the struggle is real. Apple is at the root of all of this, obviously. The changes they make to security systems in macOS with every single major release is just something software vendors have to cope with. When you're dependent on a platform, that platform's progress necessarily becomes part of your plan, whether you like it or not. It just comes with the territory. With Catalina, specifically, Apple made sure developers knew about the new requirements WELL in advance of the release, and developers have had betas to code against for a long time (how long, I don't know exactly, because I am not a developer in the Beta program for macOS... but I do know how the schedules generally work). Some vendors have the resources and man-power to crank out the necessary updates in a more-or-less timely fashion, and some do not. My personal assessment of what has happened here (and again, I might be wrong) is that the acquisition of FXpansion by ROLI in 2016 caused a small HR quake in the orgs, and some people were lost in the aftermath, either by attrition or consolidation. Most merges of tech companies are like that. There is always a little functional overlap, and redundancies are costly fat that needs to be trimmed from the meat. So I think it's been a little tough for the ROLI/FXpansion dev teams to take care of their products as they normally would, plus have to overcome the challenges of a new OS that slaps brand new roles and rules on the software's ability to access various parts of the system. They probably just weren't up to the task. I think they're really doing the best they can, though. I also wouldn't be entirely surprised if there are some peculiarities of the code bases for the FXpansion products that threw a spanner in the works, and that there were more technical hurdles to jump before the race could be run all the way to the finish line. Good luck to them, and good luck to all the BFD owners and lovers out there!

tuckermix

Postby tuckermix » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:38 pm

Too bad so sad... hurry the f up! ;-)

firetiger78

Postby firetiger78 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:16 pm

Hi
I am one of the ones who have already upgraded to macOS Catalina. At first I didn't have any issues with BFD2, but then upgraded my RAM from 16GB to 32GB. Now I have lost the use of BFD2 which is fucking frustrating. Im wondering... All the work on trying to make BFD3 compatible seem only to be benefiting BFD3 users, Is there going to be any help in the way of BFD2???.

Lawrence_fx

Postby Lawrence_fx » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:31 pm

Thanks again all for your continued patience. We're continuing to work through these updates and will be releasing a public beta update of the BFD3 application as soon as it's ready - we'll let you know as soon as this is available.

Since we began work to update installers and applications to introduce support for macOS Catalina last year, we encountered issues that required additional development work to resolve; something that we're still working to finalise. We appreciate that this has caused delays that have taken longer than expected to resolve, and are doing everything we can to release updates as quickly as possible; we want to ensure that the update we release is as stable as possible, rather than rushing to release something, and we'd like to thank you for your understanding.

We'll keep you up to date with any more information we have, and will let you know as soon as any updates are available, either to the BFD3 application itself, the Core Library or the Expansions. We really appreciate your continued support, and are looking forward to releasing these updates to allow you to continue to integrate BFD3 into your workflow and productions.

Lawrence_fx

Postby Lawrence_fx » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:37 pm

firetiger78 wrote:Hi
I am one of the ones who have already upgraded to macOS Catalina. At first I didn't have any issues with BFD2, but then upgraded my RAM from 16GB to 32GB. Now I have lost the use of BFD2 which is fucking frustrating. Im wondering... All the work on trying to make BFD3 compatible seem only to be benefiting BFD3 users, Is there going to be any help in the way of BFD2???.

Hi there,

Given the amount of work required to update BFD3, the BFD3 Core Library and the BFD Expansion range to support macOS Catalina, it isn't possible for us to support BFD2 simultaneously. Unfortunately BFD2 is a legacy product and won't be receiving any further updates or support to ensure continued compatibility. As a BFD2 licence holder, you're entitled to a discounted upgrade to BFD3, which is receiving ongoing support - we'd recommend upgrading to ensure continued compatibility, in particular with the work that we're looking to complete as soon as possible for macOS Catalina.

williambogard

Postby williambogard » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:33 am

yes. but such a long wait.

jos@greater.nl

Postby jos@greater.nl » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:31 pm

....and yet another week without a meaningful update or outlook...
This is not acceptable! And why is the site only talking about the Installers not working on Catalina, while this thread clearly states that the issues are also concerning the Core?
Really.... !!!

edxter

Postby edxter » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:09 am

So I just downgraded to mojave and install BFD3 on a fresh machine, and just crashes all the time.... so thanks for nothing, I'm upgrading to Catalina again and throwing BFD3 and expansions to the trash...

Christian40

Postby Christian40 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:37 am

This is my first post here. I am a BFD1-3 user for many years on Mac and had to switch to a Macbook Pro 16 last November for hardware reasons. So it was OSX 10.15 Catalina without choice. Until now 98% of all my audio software runs on 10.15 (I got literally hundreds of plugins), except BFD - which was up to now my 1st choice of sampled drums. I 'm following this post for weeks, but this is VERY unprofessional and not customer friendly at all!!.
The last 6 month I actually considered buying a small Roli seaboard, but not from a company with this service policy.
Please work on your communication strategy!

iliealing

Postby iliealing » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:54 am

Does anybody has any experience with other drum machines they would recommend? I'm totally fed up with Fxpansion. I'm at the point that I would consider any other drumsoftware, with equal functionality. Now I feel I'm really fucked paying 100's of dollars for this shitty software support. I do not have any patience and time left.

onlyleura

Postby onlyleura » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:39 pm

You’ve got a major PR problem when your own forums are used to promote competing product.

slirak

Postby slirak » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:13 pm

onlyleura wrote:You’ve got a major PR problem when your own forums are used to promote competing product.

Yeah, but it's no wonder.

It's almost five months since Catalina was released. Every other piece of software I own is compatible, most of them was within weeks from Catalina's release, some (like Ableton Live) from day one. I've been a BFD user since 2011 and have invested quite a few bucks and hours in it, but now I'm this close to pull the trigger on Superior Drummer. Actually, the main thing holding me back is just the sheer size of it - some 230 GB for a full installation! :shock:

The StuF

Postby The StuF » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:05 pm

Addictive Drums 2 has been a great replacement for this waste of money!

New users with Catalina/Mac's, go click away, this product (BFD3) doesn't work.

JimmyTheSaint

Postby JimmyTheSaint » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:46 am

It's all been said, so I'm not going to pile on here, just my story. I bought two brand new maxed-out MacBook Pro 16"'s two months ago to finally be 100% rid of Apple's butterfly keyboard issue, which was cramping my style. Great computer, but as pointed out above, Catalina without option. So there's that.

About two years ago, I splurged on a Roland TD-50 drum brain to use only as a sound module for my ZenDrum controller. I've never had any intention to get any piece of Roland's electronic kits (due to space, expense, and ambient noise), making the TD-50 a really extravagant expenditure I bought to half-find out what it's like, but intended to sell off because it'll fetch a lot of money secondhand. I ended up storing it for more than a year because I've never needed to bother with selling it. It's nice enough as a sound module, but can't compare with BFD3 when using my external MIDI controller, a ZenDrum. And I leave so much of the TD-50's functionality lying on the table because I don't use any of Roland's hardware drums. Still, it has several kits that I like well enough, and it has convenient player-features. It's just that it takes up so much damn space. Yes, I lucked out as a tider-over for BFD3, but also--even with my fancy new computers--I'm now happy to be rid of the headache of using a computer as a sound module. It's so nice to have a dedicated box and leave my computers free for non-audio things; at this point, I've become one of those DAW-less followers. I don't need to do mastering, so that option's viable for me.

My setup certainly isn't an economic way to go computer-free (two top-of-the-line laptops, and a big, bulky, expensive drum module that only lets you squeeze 12 voices out of it). But laying out all this money does give me a convenient music environment, so I'm enjoying my extravagance. I really think if BFD3 comes back, I'll go without it as long as possible to see if I can live with my current workflow. I also have a Pulsar-23 from Soma Labs, which is also big and bulky, but provides electronic drums like no other, and a small 16-layer boutique sample player called Stompblock built for ZenDrum. I wouldn't have thought that playing live on a ZenDrum controller I'd feel the difference between 16 and 128 layers, but I definitely do. The ZenDrum is that sensitive; I just didn't know my fingers were. But as long as I don't need full-spectrum acoustic kits, I'm fine with my Frankenstein combo of sound modules, and I'm never subject to the unpredictable developments of software and computer glitches.

Oh yeah, I've got two Nord Drum 3P's in storage that I can't get to for a few months. I like the sound, but would have to rent a new space to accommodate that large a setup. One thing about BFD3: laptop and ZenDrum were enough.

Return to “General Discussion”