Did FXPansion's e-mail get hacked? [FX: Server breach & sender spoofing. Details at end of thread] - Page 3 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Did FXPansion's e-mail get hacked? [FX: Server breach & sender spoofing. Details at end of thread]

General FX news, discussion, and a place to speak your mind

Moderators: Drew_fx, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Moderators

purtington

Postby purtington » Wed May 29, 2013 11:50 pm

Weird

I contacted their support to let them know just how little I appreciated their pranks and got this in response

Hi Steven,

Thank you for your email. It is likely it was one of our many affiliates who spammed and we take spam seriously.
Can you please send us a copy of the email you received with full headers so that we can look into this for you and ban the affiliate? Please paste the offending email in a separate email to us and we will take care of it immediately.

I don't have the email they sent me as it cleared in my spam box when I closed gmail but they really need to vet their
affiliates a little more closely, not that I believe their story.

Steve
https://soundcloud.com/steve-corr

GA-X58A-UD3R,
Intel i7 930, 2.8Ghz, Overclocked at 3.40Ghz
12GB Corsair DDR3 Ram
WD Caviar Black, 6Gb X 2
+ 500GB SSD drive for BFD Samples
focusrite scarlett 2i4
Windows 10 + windows 7 32bit

Science

A little bit nervous.....

Postby Science » Wed May 29, 2013 11:50 pm

When a message like this ends up in your gmail under your "online purchases" tab it's a bit worrying - dubturbo dot com has been shut down by the looks of it - running my ESET scan Malwarebytes and windows defender right now... although the most worrying thing is that I opened the message on my phone first!

purtington

Re: A little bit nervous.....

Postby purtington » Wed May 29, 2013 11:59 pm

Science wrote:When a message like this ends up in your gmail under your "online purchases" tab it's a bit worrying - dubturbo dot com has been shut down by the looks of it - running my ESET scan Malwarebytes and windows defender right now... although the most worrying thing is that I opened the message on my phone first!

I just looked on dubturbo's site and it seems to be as it was.

Steve

GA-X58A-UD3R,
12GB Corsair DDR3 Ram
WD Caviar Black, 6Gb X 2
focusrite scarlett 2i4

Science

Postby Science » Thu May 30, 2013 12:04 am

Hmm I got a weird notice saying something about malicious content... now I'm even more worried! - maybe it was google or my antivirus stopping access.. should have screen grabbed it...

rictheobscene

Postby rictheobscene » Thu May 30, 2013 12:38 am

I just got another e-mail from the Dub Turbo assclowns.

dflt

Postby dflt » Thu May 30, 2013 5:28 am

rictheobscene wrote:I just got another e-mail from the Dub Turbo assclowns.

me too...

purtington

Postby purtington » Thu May 30, 2013 7:19 am

Maybe I'll get another one today as I'd hate to feel left out :lol:

Can either of you forward it to support@dubturbo.com and explain how it got to you ?

They claim it's one of their affiliates and they need to email to find out.
Mine got deleted forever.

Steve

GA-X58A-UD3R,
12GB Corsair DDR3 Ram
WD Caviar Black, 6Gb X 2
focusrite scarlett 2i4

twisted-space

Postby twisted-space » Thu May 30, 2013 12:47 pm

purtington wrote:Can either of you forward it to support@dubturbo.com and explain how it got to you ?

Done

SKoT_FX
Promulgator of Beats

Postby SKoT_FX » Thu May 30, 2013 12:52 pm

We sent a "Please Explain... and quickly before we start turning the voltage up on the nipple clamps" email to DT (strangely, we have a form email for this...).

DubTurbo are providing us with info on the "rogue affiliate", and apparently doing all they can to shut him down, and want to open direct communications to help resolve this.

We are still hunting leads to see what the source of the email address list was; web admin team scanning webserver history.

Thanks for bearing with us.
SKoT McDonald
CTO FXpansion]

rictheobscene

Postby rictheobscene » Thu May 30, 2013 1:17 pm

Thanks SKoT

As you pointed out, our financial information doesn't reside in your servers; it resides in the PayPal / HSBC's servers. So, even in the worst case scenario, we will simply get annoying e-mails.

In fact, it's been many years since I made a purchase from you guys, so I doubt the card I used back then is still active. Of course, once I finally make a decision to move to a post-XP OS, my purchase record will get some new entries.

f0g

Postby f0g » Thu May 30, 2013 2:19 pm

SKoT_FX wrote:We sent a "Please Explain... and quickly before we start turning the voltage up on the nipple clamps" email to DT (strangely, we have a form email for this...).

DubTurbo are providing us with info on the "rogue affiliate", and apparently doing all they can to shut him down, and want to open direct communications to help resolve this.

We are still hunting leads to see what the source of the email address list was; web admin team scanning webserver history.

Thanks for bearing with us.

if the servers and info is based in the UK, then involve the police.. it comes under data protection.. IF you can prove the IP etc.

in short f'em up... I didn't give permission for my info to be given out. I get enough crappy spam on music forums I go on.. without them invading my mailbox also.. e.g. cakewalk has the kitchen gangster currently flooding it.

orange

Postby orange » Thu May 30, 2013 2:34 pm

unfortunately - if fxpansion have been hacked it's quite probable that they are the ones in breach of the Data Protection Act.

depending on the severity of the breach the ICO can:

"issue monetary penalty notices, requiring organisations to pay up to £500,000 for serious breaches of the Data Protection Act occurring on or after 6 April 2010, or serious breaches of the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations occurring on or after 26 May 2011"

f0g

Postby f0g » Thu May 30, 2013 3:53 pm

to a point.. I'm sure they locked away our details well enough.. but obviously it could have been done better.

I looked at the header where the email I got originates.. and it's from the US.. more than likely they didn't bounce it around the globe a few times, to hide the true identity.. normally if it's properly faked , you see some far far away land in the middle of nowhere.

orange

Postby orange » Thu May 30, 2013 4:25 pm

f0g wrote:I'm sure they locked away our details well enough.. .

evidently not !

purtington

Postby purtington » Thu May 30, 2013 4:53 pm

orange wrote:
f0g wrote:I'm sure they locked away our details well enough.. .

evidently not !

The details that matter are safe.

Steve

GA-X58A-UD3R,
12GB Corsair DDR3 Ram
WD Caviar Black, 6Gb X 2
focusrite scarlett 2i4

Return to “General Discussion”