FXpansion joins ROLI - Page 3 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

FXpansion joins ROLI

General FX news, discussion, and a place to speak your mind

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

mickgormaley

Re: FXpansion joins ROLI

Postby mickgormaley » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:31 pm

Over three years into Roli takeover of Fxpansion and not one significant update to BFD. Shameful.They can't even get it running on Catalina after working on it for 4 months. Give it back to someone who cares about BFD and its loyal user base.

purtington

Postby purtington » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:18 pm

mickgormaley wrote:Over three years into Roli takeover of Fxpansion and not one significant update to BFD. Shameful.They can't even get it running on Catalina after working on it for 4 months. Give it back to someone who cares about BFD and its loyal user base.

What do you call significant?

There were some new features added back in April last year with the macros and expandable up and down buttons.

https://www.fxpansion.com/news/bfd3-3/

What new features are you desperately in need of?

I think the gap between BFD2 and BFD3 was something like 7 or 8 years which was much the same as superior drummer.

My biggest complaint is the appalling amout of spam that has been choking this forum for too long.
I'm told that the forum will/might be moved to the Roli site as they don't have the same problem.

I still rate BFD3 as being better than Superior drummer 3 so I'm kind of happy.

I'm on windows so thankfully the multitude of new OS versions that Mac users are treated to don't cause those problems for me.

Steve
https://soundcloud.com/steve-corr

Scan UK 3XS Audio System
ASUS Prime Intel Z390-A
intel i9 10th gen 900k 3.7GHz
32GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2666MHz
5000GB SSD PM981 M.2 PCIe (OS)
500GB SSD drive for BFD Samples
Focusrite Scarlett 4i4
Windows 10

Mr Arkadin

Postby Mr Arkadin » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:59 am

Have to agree with mickgormaley on this. OK maybe updates take time, but BFD just seems dead. Look at the Russian spam just above my reply ffs.

Looking at reviews from the era the gap between BFD2 to BFD3 was late 2007 to late 2013, so about 6 years.

What updates are needed you ask? How about a better Groove area for a start - I find it confusing and not particularly user friendly. How about resizable GUI? How about being able to use other VST effects as inserts in place of the stock ones? How about being able to sort the meta data so that when you use the filter to find a kit it actually does, rather than putting loads of kit pieces in 'Unknown' (better yet, sort the software so this doesn't happen). There's plenty of scope for improvement.

For my money what they really need to update though are the older expansions and the installers. Some of those kits are all over the place, the presets and grooves and other data just some to be all over my computer for no good reason. 8-Bit Kit is terrible for this. Update all the grooves to the current format. A simplified installation and unified expansions would go a long way to making it seem that this product is still current. Unify the naming, don't have a kit as Oak Custom and label it YOK, Signature Snares as YTS, etc. Make them meaningful.

As it is fxpansion feels dead. I see the other drum VST Instruments being mentioned in recommendation threads on music sites. No-one recommends BFD3, I know I don't as I would feel guilty if someone spent money on what may be a dead product. I've even looked at the alternatives myself as I'm not convinced about its longevity.

triggerthehorizon

Postby triggerthehorizon » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:35 pm

BFD is not dead, updates are still coming out, as recently as a few weeks ago. I think FXpansion don’t play much into the marketing game which is why they don‘t show up on those best of lists. Toontrack on the other hand seem to spend a ton promoting their products on forums like KVR and they probably pay youtubers money to make videos featuring SD3. In this instance, it is wise to trust your ears and not the hype.

Mr Arkadin wrote:Have to agree with mickgormaley on this. OK maybe updates take time, but BFD just seems dead. Look at the Russian spam just above my reply ffs.

Looking at reviews from the era the gap between BFD2 to BFD3 was late 2007 to late 2013, so about 6 years.

What updates are needed you ask? How about a better Groove area for a start - I find it confusing and not particularly user friendly. How about resizable GUI? How about being able to use other VST effects as inserts in place of the stock ones? How about being able to sort the meta data so that when you use the filter to find a kit it actually does, rather than putting loads of kit pieces in 'Unknown' (better yet, sort the software so this doesn't happen). There's plenty of scope for improvement.

For my money what they really need to update though are the older expansions and the installers. Some of those kits are all over the place, the presets and grooves and other data just some to be all over my computer for no good reason. 8-Bit Kit is terrible for this. Update all the grooves to the current format. A simplified installation and unified expansions would go a long way to making it seem that this product is still current. Unify the naming, don't have a kit as Oak Custom and label it YOK, Signature Snares as YTS, etc. Make them meaningful.

As it is fxpansion feels dead. I see the other drum VST Instruments being mentioned in recommendation threads on music sites. No-one recommends BFD3, I know I don't as I would feel guilty if someone spent money on what may be a dead product. I've even looked at the alternatives myself as I'm not convinced about its longevity.

purtington

Postby purtington » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:06 am

triggerthehorizon wrote:. In this instance, it is wise to trust your ears and not the hype.

Here here.

Or should that be Hear hear? :wink:

Steve

Scan UK 3XS Audio System
ASUS Prime Intel Z390-A
Focusrite Scarlett 4i4
Windows 10

purtington

Postby purtington » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:24 am

Mr Arkadin wrote:Looking at reviews from the era the gap between BFD2 to BFD3 was late 2007 to late 2013, so about 6 years.

Beta testing for BFD3 started around July 2012.
Prior to that there had been a, 'feature request' sticky on the forum that had been there for a good 6 months before I signed up as a beta tester. I think a survey was sent out to all registered users with a list of what they thought would be the most preferable updates/features.
So all in all the process from R&D to public release was close to 3 years.
There has been a Feature request sticky on this forum since June 2014 (6 years) so I think we'll more likely to see updates rather than a new BFD4.

Mr Arkadin wrote:For my money what they really need to update though are the older expansions and the installers. Some of those kits are all over the place, the presets and grooves and other data just some to be all over my computer for no good reason. 8-Bit Kit is terrible for this. Update all the grooves to the current format.

Totally agree, one thing I see all the time is people not having the kits and presets ascociated with each expansion kit and I really don't see why they can't be an additional download in the download area for each expansion kit.

Mr Arkadin wrote:As it is fxpansion feels dead. I see the other drum VST Instruments being mentioned in recommendation threads on music sites. No-one recommends BFD3, I know I don't as I would feel guilty if someone spent money on what may be a dead product. I've even looked at the alternatives myself as I'm not convinced about its longevity.

Just out of interest, (I don't have superior drummer 3) what updates (fixes not included) have there been with SD3 and what new features have they introduced?

One of the things that must surely give BFD3 (and fxpansion in general) is the appalling amount of spam on the forum.
I've contacted the forum hosts and fxpansion on this and they both seem to be blaming eachother.
FXpansion did say they were considering moving the forum on to ROLI's web hosts which I assume is either free of, or has a lot less spam than this one.
It looks like a graveyard here sometmes.

Steve

Scan UK 3XS Audio System
ASUS Prime Intel Z390-A
Focusrite Scarlett 4i4
Windows 10

mickgormaley

Postby mickgormaley » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:04 pm

Well, it looks like I get my wish after all. Roli turned over BFD to another company, InMusic. Roli did nothing to advance BFD3, it appears they were only interested in FXPs synth modules all along. The updates were minimal, I can't recall any new kits or collections that came out since Roli, at least none that was of any interest to me. I did have hope in the first year that perhaps Roli would introduce a controller or ekit that would utilize their keyboard controller expertise. Never happened. Good luck to the team, hopefully InMusic will provide the resources to allow them to get back to producing the best digital drums out there. I'm sure these guys have ideas they've been holding on to for a while. Like I said when Roli took over, only time will tell. Long live BFD!

Kypresso

Postby Kypresso » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm

mickgormaley wrote:Good luck to the team, hopefully InMusic will provide the resources to allow them to get back to producing the best digital drums out there. I'm sure these guys have ideas they've been holding on to for a while. Like I said when Roli took over, only time will tell. Long live BFD!

Inmusic are even worse than fxpansion about communicating to their customers and getting updates done. The Software Brand Manager
for inMusic Brands posted in the air music forum on kvr back in june 2017 that larger gui's for instruments were coming, we are still waiting.

Inmusic, where software goes to die. :(

Mr Arkadin

Postby Mr Arkadin » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:57 am

purtington wrote:Just out of interest, (I don't have superior drummer 3) what updates (fixes not included) have there been with SD3 and what new features have they introduced?

I don't have any other real drums program so I don't know what updates SD has had (was also considering Slate drums), but at least they seem to be a stable company. I mean FXpansion have been sold off twice now. ROLI proved useless and InMusic's reputation is hardly the best. I'm less worried about new features (although that would be nice) and more worried about investing any more money into a company that isn't looking exactly stable.

I sure hope I'm wrong, but so far I see nothing to get positive about.

jackn2mpu

Postby jackn2mpu » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:37 pm

mickgormaley wrote:Well, it looks like I get my wish after all. Roli turned over BFD to another company, InMusic. Roli did nothing to advance BFD3, it appears they were only interested in FXPs synth modules all along. The updates were minimal, I can't recall any new kits or collections that came out since Roli, at least none that was of any interest to me. I did have hope in the first year that perhaps Roli would introduce a controller or ekit that would utilize their keyboard controller expertise. Never happened. Good luck to the team, hopefully InMusic will provide the resources to allow them to get back to producing the best digital drums out there. I'm sure these guys have ideas they've been holding on to for a while. Like I said when Roli took over, only time will tell. Long live BFD!

Kiss BFD3 goodbye. Nothing good comes from InMusic taking over plugins. They made crap out of the stuff they purchased from Avid. Things like broken installers, confusing web presence - you name it. Roli was only interested in their Seaboard controllers and now studios that have them don't use them anymore. And they can't even sell them because nobody wants them.

If you want a real eye opener on how bad InMusic is take a gander over at the DUC (ProTools users forum) and do a search there. It ain't pretty.
Jack
Pro Tools 2019.6
2012 Mac Pro cheesegrater, 3.46 GHz hex core cpu, 48 gig ram, OSX 10.13.6
BFD 3 and plenty more

Qapla

Return to “General Discussion”