FXpansion joins ROLI - Page 3 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

FXpansion joins ROLI

General FX news, discussion, and a place to speak your mind

Moderators: Drew_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

mickgormaley

Re: FXpansion joins ROLI

Postby mickgormaley » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:31 pm

Over three years into Roli takeover of Fxpansion and not one significant update to BFD. Shameful.They can't even get it running on Catalina after working on it for 4 months. Give it back to someone who cares about BFD and its loyal user base.

purtington

Postby purtington » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:18 pm

mickgormaley wrote:Over three years into Roli takeover of Fxpansion and not one significant update to BFD. Shameful.They can't even get it running on Catalina after working on it for 4 months. Give it back to someone who cares about BFD and its loyal user base.

What do you call significant?

There were some new features added back in April last year with the macros and expandable up and down buttons.

https://www.fxpansion.com/news/bfd3-3/

What new features are you desperately in need of?

I think the gap between BFD2 and BFD3 was something like 7 or 8 years which was much the same as superior drummer.

My biggest complaint is the appalling amout of spam that has been choking this forum for too long.
I'm told that the forum will/might be moved to the Roli site as they don't have the same problem.

I still rate BFD3 as being better than Superior drummer 3 so I'm kind of happy.

I'm on windows so thankfully the multitude of new OS versions that Mac users are treated to don't cause those problems for me.

Steve
https://soundcloud.com/steve-corr

GA-X58A-UD3R,
Intel i7 930, 2.8Ghz, Overclocked at 3.40Ghz
12GB Corsair DDR3 Ram
WD Caviar Black, 6Gb X 2
+ 500GB SSD drive for BFD Samples
focusrite scarlett 2i4
Windows 10 + windows 7 32bit

Mr Arkadin

Postby Mr Arkadin » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:59 am

Have to agree with mickgormaley on this. OK maybe updates take time, but BFD just seems dead. Look at the Russian spam just above my reply ffs.

Looking at reviews from the era the gap between BFD2 to BFD3 was late 2007 to late 2013, so about 6 years.

What updates are needed you ask? How about a better Groove area for a start - I find it confusing and not particularly user friendly. How about resizable GUI? How about being able to use other VST effects as inserts in place of the stock ones? How about being able to sort the meta data so that when you use the filter to find a kit it actually does, rather than putting loads of kit pieces in 'Unknown' (better yet, sort the software so this doesn't happen). There's plenty of scope for improvement.

For my money what they really need to update though are the older expansions and the installers. Some of those kits are all over the place, the presets and grooves and other data just some to be all over my computer for no good reason. 8-Bit Kit is terrible for this. Update all the grooves to the current format. A simplified installation and unified expansions would go a long way to making it seem that this product is still current. Unify the naming, don't have a kit as Oak Custom and label it YOK, Signature Snares as YTS, etc. Make them meaningful.

As it is fxpansion feels dead. I see the other drum VST Instruments being mentioned in recommendation threads on music sites. No-one recommends BFD3, I know I don't as I would feel guilty if someone spent money on what may be a dead product. I've even looked at the alternatives myself as I'm not convinced about its longevity.

Return to “General Discussion”