Strobe pitch bend - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Strobe pitch bend

Support for DCAM: Synth Squad

Moderators: Drew_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

castercaird

Strobe pitch bend

Postby castercaird » Mon May 17, 2010 3:44 pm

I want to do a long pitchbend with strobe, 6octaves or more, so my initial thought was to automate the oscilator pitch in Ableton. But doing this I noticed the oscilator pitch increased in steps of 3 semitones. The automation line was fluent so this was not the issue. Is there a way to resolve this?

Another way is to use the mod envelope and set it to the oscilator pitch. With long attack it does what I want but I want it to go even slower. The attack is allready set to the maximum.

Any tips how to do this?

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Tue May 18, 2010 11:58 am

Probably best using portamento/glide, and using the automation to switch it on/off.
-- Angus F. Hewlett - CEO - FXpansion --
Twitter | YouTube
Synth Squad | BFD Eco

DANGER

Postby DANGER » Sat May 29, 2010 1:41 pm

same happens with me, Ableton Live 8.1.3.
and if i'm playing with the know with the mouse it works how it should be, but it jumps with the automation in the arrangement. Ableton problem?

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Sun May 30, 2010 11:42 am

Looks like it, I'm guessing the Ableton automation is limited in effective resolution (128 levels maybe?) - have you tried with other synths?

If you use MIDI Pitch Bend messages, those are a high resolution (14 bit) control with a range of +/- 2 octaves, so you can do a 4 oct sweep with very fine control tht away.

Twitter | YouTube

Synth Squad | BFD Eco

ampman117

Postby ampman117 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:53 pm

I can get the pitch bend to occur smoothly by automating the Pitch control in strobe in Ableton 8.1.3, both within Fusor and as a separately loaded instrument...

I drew the automation by hand (tried both clip automation and arrangement automation, both worked smoothly), and just used two points which defined a straight increasing/decreasing line, if I space them out over a measure or put them close together its all smooth, just happens slower/faster...

Having it occur in steps sounds like it could be a cool effect, so I am wondering what you guys are doing :?: if there is a quicker way than drawing a stepped automation line that would be cool...

I had seen something like you mention when playing live using a controller that only supports sending MIDI 1-127 (i.e. the midi control was a pot, rather than an encoder). But after the automation was input into live, and played back Live smoothed it out to be continuous...I have been told that having a controller with encoders woudl solve that "playing live" issue, but dont actually have one yet. This controller side effect would affect any instrument...

PatrickS

Postby PatrickS » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:34 am

Hey there,

why did you guys make every single fader automatable - except the PitchWheel? Or can I automate the PitchWheel and I just cant find it? :oops:

Same thing in Logic, automating OscPitch is not smooth at all :(

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:49 am

Each synth has an "Automation.xml" file in its settings folder (Library/Application Support/FXpansion/<synth>) - you can edit that AT YOUR OWN RISK to add pitch to the host automation list.

However, you'd do better to simply send MIDI Pitch Bend messages - most hosts give you a reasonable interface for editing that.

Twitter | YouTube

Synth Squad | BFD Eco

manimal1000bc

Postby manimal1000bc » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:27 pm

With Ableton i have found its best to automate the clip itself instead of the sequenced clips in session view,
all the automation options are within the clip ,You can automate pitch bend and both perf wheels from the midi drop down next to the clip tempo data ect... just be sure to put your clip in edit view

DANGER

Postby DANGER » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:04 pm

It happens with cutoff, macros etc. Already in contact with the support in email.

PatrickS

Postby PatrickS » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:41 am

Is there any solution to this yet? Im having a Cutoff Automation from +15 to + 67 and for some reason it only jumps in rather large steps, like 5 sts or so, not smooth at all. Weird :(

PatrickS

Postby PatrickS » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:38 pm

Suddenly it sounds alright again even though I didn't change anything. Must be a combination of the Synth, and the Host (Logic 8) or something... ;)

Return to “DCAM: Synth Squad”