Best Host when using as plugin? - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Best Host when using as plugin?

Support for DCAM: Synth Squad

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Moderators

musicjogger@gmail.com

Best Host when using as plugin?

Postby musicjogger@gmail.com » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:27 pm

Being new to synths I am currently only using strobe for all my sounds and at the moment all my work is being done with the Maschine software from NI that came with the controller. I have pro tools but do my sequencing out of Maschine because it is quicker/easier to start and I am much better at sequencing in Maschine vs pro tools. Problem I have been running into is the maschine CPU icon starts to max out at around 5 or 6 instances of strobe. With that being said:

Any way to help reduce this?

What other host do you guys use that seem to work best with these products?

Any other workarounds you can you suggest?

Thanks

chilly7

Postby chilly7 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:33 pm

did u tried Samplitube or Ableton Live?

jblongz

Postby jblongz » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:04 am

To me all the DAWs get crazy after several advanced plugins. I use Vienna Ensemble Pro to run all of my synths and what ever affects I run on them. The only plugins I use in the DAW would be Ozone on the master track and Ableton's side chain for ducking certain tracks. VEP is awesome at handling large amount of heavy plugins....but it sucks at automation because you have to do extra work using and 'event input' plugin that it comes with. That's still not enough to deter me. So weigh your options.

chilly7

Postby chilly7 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:33 pm

jblongz wrote:To me all the DAWs get crazy after several advanced plugins. I use Vienna Ensemble Pro to run all of my synths and what ever affects I run on them. The only plugins I use in the DAW would be Ozone on the master track and Ableton's side chain for ducking certain tracks. VEP is awesome at handling large amount of heavy plugins....but it sucks at automation because you have to do extra work using and 'event input' plugin that it comes with. That's still not enough to deter me. So weigh your options.

Let me guess, u have PC? :lol:

jblongz

Postby jblongz » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:18 pm

chilly7 wrote:Let me guess, u have PC? :lol:

No. Actually I have a 15" 2.8GHz Quad i7 Retina MacBook Pro with 16GB of RAM and 768GB SSD. Also running all EastWest, Spectrasonics, and Kontakt products on 4x 512GB SSDs in a Pegasus J4 via Thunderbolt. :wink:

I tend to have hefty midi sessions with all plugins (no audio except vocals). These sessions will only run on a high end computer without the need to freeze/bounce tracks destructively. I also run my audio buffer at 64. This way I can continue to play without crippling latency. VEP Pro makes this possible for me.

chilly7

Postby chilly7 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:28 pm

jblongz wrote:
chilly7 wrote:Let me guess, u have PC? :lol:

No. Actually I have a 15" 2.8GHz Quad i7 Retina MacBook Pro with 16GB of RAM and 768GB SSD. Also running all EastWest, Spectrasonics, and Kontakt products on 4x 512GB SSDs in a Pegasus J4 via Thunderbolt. :wink:

I tend to have hefty midi sessions with all plugins (no audio except vocals). These sessions will only run on a high end computer without the need to freeze/bounce tracks destructively. I also run my audio buffer at 64. This way I can continue to play without crippling latency. VEP Pro makes this possible for me.

Wow that is a nice computer!!! Congratulation!!!

Well right now i use my mother Mac Book Air and do not have any problems so far on Ableton Live 8 Intro like u have describet,

make shure that all software is fully updated or u can try to do the coean install if OS.

I use only AU plugins. Do u use VST?
Also what interface do u use? I use a Lynx Hilo at 512buffer, but at 96 khz 32bit. Maby u have very low buffer size even though that u have a powerful computer? Maby it will be better to set 128? I do not think that there will be a noticable latency.

jblongz

Postby jblongz » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:54 pm

I'm using a Focusrite Forte at 24Bit/41KHz running AudioUnit plugs. I used to run on a macbook air too before I bought the rMBP, but my requirements changed. It's just the intensity of which I run plugins. I've optimized in every way except disabling spotlight..which I do not plan to. Currently my mac runs great. Sometimes I run buffer at 128 with no issue, but when I am playing fast scale runs, I can tell the difference and prefer 64. I don't produce at 96KHz because thats much needed CPU wasted for me. If 96K is needed, I'd reloaded the session when I'm ready to render.

What I was stating before is that though your DAW (Logic, Live, etc) has a CPU limit, it is much lower than "true limit" of your hardware CPU. So your plugins run better outside of the DAW while streaming audio in. This is why Vienna Ensemble Pro was created. Most users here don't use plugins to this extent, but you'll you find users over at the EastWest forum who are beasts when it comes to CPU and RAM usage. Try running multichannel instances of omnisphere (8ch) and Kontakt (6ch) and 3rd party reverbs (i use Warmverb and Spaces), CamelPhat on about 3 tracks, 4 instances of fusor, 1 instance of Hollywood Strings Diamond, and last instance of StormDrum 3. Surely Daw will not run smoothly...maybe with their own plugins, but not AU/VST standards.
Last edited by jblongz on Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chilly7

Postby chilly7 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:42 am

Aha, thank u, i see. :)

schmidi

Postby schmidi » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:09 pm

Maschine is driving everything into 1 core of your cpu! version 2.0 (just announced) should help your cpu issues as it has multicore support

Return to “DCAM: Synth Squad”