Feature Requests for Geist - Page 18 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Feature Requests for Geist

Support for Geist

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Moderators

vmiller

Postby vmiller » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:04 pm

New user here :))

Requests:

1. Crossfade function for looping playback. This is the ONLY respect in which Geist is outshone by my hardware sampler. I want to make smooooth loops sometimes, pads textures etc with no clicks or drops. If it's a destructive function as per AKAI OS then so be it.

2. LFO's. Always handy.

3. Echo request to keep it simple. This isn't a DAW, it's a very fully featured programming hub and should stay that way.

Thanks FX - really great bit of kit.

muleskinner

Postby muleskinner » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:31 pm

Hi,

This is a fantastic product but after using it for a week or so 'in anger' here's the thing that's getting on my wick the most...

- Please can the visual demarcation of the pattern grid change sensibly when working with triplets and in time signatures that aren't four beats to the bar!

Of course the first track I do is in 3/4 and it's incredibly confusing having everything laid out as though I was working in 4/4.

cheers

Hopefully there's a way to change this that I haven't happened upon yet :wink:

Rory_FX

Postby Rory_FX » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:39 pm

muleskinner - take a look at the "Pattern shading mode" options in the Preferences.

muleskinner

Postby muleskinner » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:14 pm

Rory_FX wrote:muleskinner - take a look at the "Pattern shading mode" options in the Preferences.

Cool - that's good for the triplets, but is there a way to change the bar indicator from 4/4?

Drew_BFDTeam

Postby Drew_BFDTeam » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:16 pm

muleskinner wrote:
Rory_FX wrote:muleskinner - take a look at the "Pattern shading mode" options in the Preferences.

Cool - that's good for the triplets, but is there a way to change the bar indicator from 4/4?

Not really no. Geist is a step sequencer, it doesn't really know the concept of time signatures. IT's more akin to a groovebox sequencer than a piano roll or DAW sequencer.

muleskinner

Postby muleskinner » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:56 am

Drew_fx wrote:
muleskinner wrote:

Not really no. Geist is a step sequencer, it doesn't really know the concept of time signatures. IT's more akin to a groovebox sequencer than a piano roll or DAW sequencer.

I understand this but by having a 'bar' delimiter in there you are implying some kind of time signature whether Geist 'knows' about it or not. :wink: This four beat division is at best irrelevant and at worst plain confusing if working in other time sigs.

So, I'll change to a specific feature request to keep on topic for the thread...

Can we have a simple pulldown menu to define where this 'bar' delimiter lies, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 beats etc? And have this value saved per preset rather than a 'global' preference setting?

Thanks for listening :D

kingdubrock

Reverb Flexibility / Options

Postby kingdubrock » Wed May 30, 2012 3:37 am

1) most everything about Geist is cool with me. The one thing that bugs me and If its been updated to do it I havent figured it out yet but the need to "truncate then slice" imported audio was the very first obstacle I ran into. I didnt pay much mind figuring I'd figure it out as I went but then noticed it mentioned on here several times.

2) to be honest, I'm surprised not to see more griping about the Breverb. I never liked it on BFD2 but then I never mix inside that program, given how complex working with acoustic drums can be. But in Geist I would generally be quite satisfied with mixing entirely within the program if not for the Breverb. To me it sounds quite grainy/muddy and unuseable. I might suggest that a much better, low CPU-draining alternative would be Valhalla Room. That guy makes a KILLER verb on the cheap and could probably use the business - although I dont know if he liscences out his verb. Also, a nice little, simple convolution reverb would be a nice addition (i like using springs for dub etc).

Lastly if we must live with breverb, can we at least have a LP & HP filter setting?

Otherwise - like most others, I LOVE Geist.

drrmmya

Postby drrmmya » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:42 pm

new pitch mode - note view (basically a stepped version of Coarse Pitch) * add option to offset this amount and detect pitch of sample and map to keybed view.

More Kits and Patterns Included with the Geist Factory Content

more options
Pattern won't change until finished (pattern quantize)
Better Skinning feature (just make a xml kit or something so user can create skin and share with 1 file/code eg. copy/paste)
Better Contrast with GUI elements
More Color and more Area on the GUI to customize
Export Kit to SFZ Format (or MPC)
UNDO is separate per Engine (select Engine to work in each one)

drrmmya

Postby drrmmya » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:23 pm

some more major feature to consider for next version including functionality increase;
    # of Pad increase to full 88 keys via scrolling 'mpc-style' layout.
    MPC import/export (including all FX option on export)
    gui element to show and change between pad layers

loading/preview

right click in browser to give option;
[list=]map wav across all pads (chromatic playback) with definable center note[/list]

Kosmonaut

Postby Kosmonaut » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:03 am

1. Sharper, larger and clearer text across the Geist UI.

2. Darker pads and lighter text.

Pretty much the same type of colours and contrast of text that Tremor and Etch already use so well. :wink: Those UI's are excellent. :)

drrmmya

Postby drrmmya » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:40 pm

With all the feature requests, I'd be happy for many of them..

But as a whole, I'd like to see the project take what it already has and move slightly toward 'MPC-like' functionality.
-more pads per engine
-engines more individual (like undo)

I personally dislike to need to reach to another Engine when I want to add sounds to a soundset - pads should number should be up to 64 IMO.

Chromatic mod per-pad would be very handy, something the competition offers and could added by just adding a new Pitch control (chromatic), Pitch View, and Midi out support for that. Not as important as above though.

Improved FX/Quality eg. pitch bend algo is pretty bad
Better quality resampling including pitch and sample rate conversion (this is what most soft-sampler users take for granted from classic hardware)

Improved Song Mode/stand alone/automation for regular controls (specific tweaking can be sampled)

Improved Slicing 10X (far better slicing would be a plus)

Mapping Slices to Pads (from Sampler)

Pad/Sample Explode - sample(s) get mapped across all pads

PHY6

Postby PHY6 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:14 am

muleskinner wrote:
Drew_fx wrote:
muleskinner wrote:

I understand this but by having a 'bar' delimiter in there you are implying some kind of time signature whether Geist 'knows' about it or not. :wink: This four beat division is at best irrelevant and at worst plain confusing if working in other time sigs.

+1
Did a request about this before, but I couldn't explain it as good as you did.

So, I'll change to a specific feature request to keep on topic for the thread...

Can we have a simple pulldown menu to define where this 'bar' delimiter lies, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 beats etc? And have this value saved per preset rather than a 'global' preference setting?

Thanks for listening :D

buildlust

Postby buildlust » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:21 pm

A much better multiple track exporting function, where instead of manually setting up outputs, just select an option like "multiple tracks" and viola! Multiple stems!! Like how Maschine, Beat Thang and the soon to be released MPC does now......simple

wakkaman

Postby wakkaman » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:42 pm

Drew_fx wrote:
muleskinner wrote:

Isn't Geist a rhythm machine? And whats a rhythm without time sig's?
It isn't that problematic when working within a DAW, because you can sett the desired amount of steps to sync with the project's time sig and metronome. It gets pretty awkward in stand alone mode though, because the metronome only goes 4/4.. Although It doesn't make it impossible to preform some kind of crazy signature, it does make it unnecessarily challenging haha
And by the way, the Machine, being also a step sequencer, can change time signatures.. Why not Geist?

I really miss this feature and was kind of surprised to find it missing.. imo it's crucial stuff..

Thanks, and think about it!

wakkaman

Postby wakkaman » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:58 pm

Another annoying thing: when moving pads around, we have the ability to copy the relevant 'steps' along with the pad. BUT, when this happens, every other pattern within the given engine remains unaltered. So, if i really badly want to move pads around and keep 'the filled steps', i'm forced to do it manually for every other pattern! That's just evil :P

Thanks.

Return to “Geist”